X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How addicted are you to the hobby?

Used to fly almost everyday, at every opportunity I had, while learning to fly RC 3+ years ago. Don't get to fly as often as I'd like to anymore, but I take advantage of every opportunity I get...to fly something!

Took half a day yesterday and met by buddy Tom at the field to catch up on some flying. Yes, shot a little hookie! That's called being "Addicted".

How addicted are you to the hobby. Share at least one of your stories here! Ever get in trouble with the Mrs?

Well I bought my first plane in January, flew for first time the 1st of April...since then I've built a 400' runway, a 24'x36' hanger and have over 30 planes and fly every day...so yeah I think I'm hooked hard.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

WOW!!!! That is an incredible story, and show of passion for the hobby. Please, send pics and/or a video.

Comment

I've been flying R/C for 49 years, and before that free flight, control line, and anything else I could make fly as a kid. I often fold a sheet of paper into a paper plane and throw it across the room. during my time of flying R/C I've amassed over 20,000 hours of flying.

Comment

I spend to much money on planes.....ooops I just bought a v4 t28 from MRC! DOH!
          AMA 1102566

Comment

I got my private back in 1987. Started flying RC in 1993. I have no idea how many hours I have flying RC. But I bet I could have already bought a full scale bird for the cost of all the RC stuff I have bought over the years. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
            Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

I grew up flying and with a passion for aviation. I wanted to fly RC planes since I was about 5, but never had the open space. I had a few planes that flew horribly, and I eventually got into helis and gave up on RC planes. Then, I went to College at Embry Riddle Prescott, and found myself with an AMA RC Club on Campus, where students got free field membership. A very generous club member gave me a Mini Telemaster, and I was hooked! 4 years and 22 planes later, I am still addicted to this awesome hobby!

Comment

I originally posted this in July (7/14) on Aviation Addiction thread by TiredIronGRB. Similar topic by Hippie64 "I think I need an intervention". Since then the count has gone from 26 to 32. Intervention needed? I think I hit 11 on the 1- 10 addiction scale a while back. "I can see I came to the right place. Been building plastic kits for generations, than a friend says one day "Have you tried RC?". Not since the Cox .049 days in the 70's when I watched one fly off into the sunset. " You should check it out" he says. Two years, and 26 planes later, I don't think the wife will let him back in the house."

Comment

Let's face it, it's a community hobby. That means
                  you are always being subconissously infused
                  with live in person advertisements.
                  First a club member posts a new toy, you can't Waite
                  to see it fly. The weekend come you head to the field.
                  then there it is on the runway everyone is waching, it stars it's journey down the runway. The crowd roars as it lifts off mothereath to kiss the sky. At that point it becomes, mass Nirvana! Then in one singelular massive outburst, you hear "I've got to have one of those"🙃

California Flier

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                    Well I bought my first plane in January, flew for first time the 1st of April...since then I've built a 400' runway, a 24'x36' hanger and have over 30 planes and fly every day...so yeah I think I'm hooked hard.
                    TiredIron, how did you get into the hobby?

It sounds like you have one helluva setup at your residence. RC heaven!

Comment

I flew control line and a couple glow jobs back in the 70s and I've always been into modeling and restoring military vehicles so when I saw the Banana Hobby LX B-25 I had to have it to hang in my shop, then I needed a radio to operate all the features on the B-25, since I had a radio I might as well get a cheap Corsair (Dynam) to fly...etc, etc.

Check out some of my military vehicle restorations.

TiredIron Aviation

Comment

My story is similar to many here. As a kid I started with Guillow's planes which lead to Cox control line planes then R/C planes. I stopped flying R/C to fly full scale (own a C182 today). I started back up with R/C last summer after a 30 year hiatus, in the last year I've acquired 16 planes with two more on the way (Freewing MIG-21 and F-104).

It's a sickness for me. :)

Comment

Is that a 500 size MD500 fuselage behind the shelf?

Comment

Good eye, yes it is. A guy gave it to me, I took it because if I didn't it was going in the trash. You want it? Just pay shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                              Good eye, yes it is. A guy gave it to me, I took it because if I didn't it was going in the trash. You want it? Just pay shipping.
                              Ask me agian next Friday, I would be interested. But I just had rent, insurance, and the CC bill come in the same day. I won't be considering anything until next payday.

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                                Would love to see some pictures of the runway and the hanger !

Comment

Originally posted by weedsnager View Post

Would love to see some pictures of the runway and the hanger !
                                  Here you go...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160829_223148542_iOS.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	48208

Name:	20160829_223228198_iOS.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	48209

Name:	20160829_223519014_iOS.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	48210

Name:	20160829_223326327_iOS.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	48207

Here's a short flyover...

TiredIron Aviation

Comment

WOW! All this in less than a year. Gotta be the greatest to step outside and fire one down the runway. I have to admit, if I could, I would, but the neighbor wouldn't like it!
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

I don't really have any close neighbors and remember I used to have Tanks and APCs parked in the driveway so they're ok with a few foamies :)
                                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

A 'Step in the right direction' sort of thing you mean.
                                        Here's an idea of what the basement looks like at the ol' Gross homestead.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X