Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONE MORE THING! You'll need an adapter between the Master hose and the Badger airbrush. Google it, you'll see which one.

Search Amazon for this: "Master Airbrush Brand Airbrush Fitting Conversion Adapter for Badger"

Comment

Great, thank you! Specific info is what I was hoping for. I already have a respirator mask from all my painting I do any ways so I am covered there.
      Aros.MotionRC
      Motion RC Website/Advertising
      Self-Admitted Warbirdaholic

My RC videos on YouTube:
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

“My soul is in the sky.”

Comment

I enjoy re-painting my planes. I took the plunge and bought an airbrush and compressor a while back. It is my preferred method of painting. I only use acrylic or water based latex paint in my airbrush. It is a much easier clean-up and I don't have to deal with the fumes or the solvents/thinners. I know everyone has their own favorite paints and methods so I can only urge people to find their own way. Most of my paints are from Home Depot or Lowe's. I have found their computer color matching to be nearly perfect. It is hard to beat the price of ~$3 for 7.5 ounces of paint - in the perfect color. There is always enough left over for those inevitable touch-ups!

Bob

Comment

What do you thin your Home Depot paints with, Borntoolate? I'm guessing mostly water with a small amount of ammonia-free Windex or Future?

Comment

I have only used distilled water to thin the paint. I know some do use Windex, but usually when I paint it is warm outside and the paint dries very quickly.

Bob

Comment

Bought a Paasche airbrush off RCG about a year ago - haven't used it yet. Any reason a Craftsman 2-gallon compressor can't be used to drive the airbrush? It's got a water and dirt filter on it, and I can regulate the hose air pressure. Will probably need an adapter to mate the compressor to the airbrush hose. Please LMK any drawbacks to this setup.
              Thanks.

Comment

I used a 2 gallon compressor for a while but switched to a larger capacity because I kept outpacing the tank. I would have to take small breaks to let it build up pressure. But, I was painting some larger planes at the time.

Bob

Comment

Well it only took me 15+ years in the hobby (not to mention another 9 months to order it from my Amazon cart!) but I finally ordered an airbrush system! Thanks for the help Alpha!

I will start with the easy exhaust trails first.
                  Aros.MotionRC
                  Motion RC Website/Advertising
                  Self-Admitted Warbirdaholic

My RC videos on YouTube:
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

“My soul is in the sky.”

Comment

Hey Aros, start on a piece of cardboard or thicker paper, go light, it's all about layering, lots of fun once you get into it !

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvUIE2OTfl8

Something I found interesting reguarding the use of Windex..

Mike
                      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Found something interesting today. I recently repainted all the white on the Avanti, and wanted it to shine in all her glory.
                        I recently bought a can of Minwax Pro series Spar Urethane and thought this would be the perfect project to try it on. I gave it a couple of coats with a brush and decided to spray on a final coat. I left the plane to dry for two days so everything was set.
                        Interestingly, when I sprayed the finish on, it went dull!
                        So, I let it dry and repainted the whole plane with a brush, using the Urethane liberally and watching for runs. This product, btw, doesn't seem to run as easily as the other products I've tried.
                        I get it applied, check for runs and the hit it with a hair dryer. Experience tells me, that she's set by the way it looks. Now, that might not be completely dry, but there's no chance of runs, I prefer to let it dry naturally from there on.
                        Much better with a brush.
                        So, I decided to give La Patrona another coat, using this product. A lot shinier even after one coat, mind you she has several coats of Varathane Spar Urethane on her already.
                        So the product, Minwax, Pro series Spar Urethane, is worth a try if you're looking for a glossy surface, but use a brush.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                          Found something interesting today. I recently repainted all the white on the Avanti, and wanted it to shine in all her glory.
                          I recently bought a can of Minwax Pro series Spar Urethane and thought this would be the perfect project to try it on. I gave it a couple of coats with a brush and decided to spray on a final coat. I left the plane to dry for two days so everything was set.
                          Interestingly, when I sprayed the finish on, it went dull!
                          So, I let it dry and repainted the whole plane with a brush, using the Urethane liberally and watching for runs. This product, btw, doesn't seem to run as easily as the other products I've tried.
                          I get it applied, check for runs and the hit it with a hair dryer. Experience tells me, that she's set by the way it looks. Now, that might not be completely dry, but there's no chance of runs, I prefer to let it dry naturally from there on.
                          Much better with a brush.
                          So, I decided to give La Patrona another coat, using this product. A lot shinier even after one coat, mind you she has several coats of Varathane Spar Urethane on her already.
                          So the product, Minwax, Pro series Spar Urethane, is worth a try if you're looking for a glossy surface, but use a brush.

Grossman56
                          Thanks for the info! I've been wondering how the Minway did compared to the Varathane. I've got a container of the Gloss and one of the semi-gloss waiting to go on some planes.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

What is your preferred airbrush setup?
                            Currently I have 2 ~ Iwata HP-C+, One ~ Iwata HP-C, One ~ Custom Badger Renegade Velocity, 2 - 1/2 ~ Veda 180, and One ~ Harbour Freight airbrush.

Despite being a cheaper AB, the Veda 180's worked surprisingly well. But I love my Iwata's and the Badger.

For now I'm using a 3 gallon pancake air compressor from Harbour Freight. I did just purchase an diaphragm compressor from HF as well. But I have not used it yet because I have to pick up a couple fittings first.

Comment

Working...
                            X