House Paint for foam

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question, will the ammonia eat the foam? All Windex doesn't have ammonia in it. I know I'm told by detailers that it isn't good for your windows and will streak therefore I never get Windex with ammonia. Phatbob, that is looking good.
    Still Learning:D

Comment

The ammonia won't affect the foam at all.

Comment

That's good to know. Thanks!
        Still Learning:D

Comment

I have shelves upon shelves as some of you can imagine of tamiya paints. But these are solvent based. Can the flight line foam handle it? Its why I have never bothered to jump mediums and paint my own planes. Not gonna clog up my nice gones with latex anything.
          AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
            The ammonia in the windex is a good thinner for the paint. I've never heard of it being hard on the gun though.
            It will eat seals if they are not correct seals and it will also de plate the nickle finish inside the cup. Especially the cheap chinese stuff thats like 15 bucks a brush. I dilute tamiya acrylics with 90 isopropyl

AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
              I have shelves upon shelves as some of you can imagine of tamiya paints. But these are solvent based. Can the flight line foam handle it? Its why I have never bothered to jump mediums and paint my own planes. Not gonna clog up my nice gones with latex anything.
              If MEK or Acetone won't melt the EPO, then you are safe to spray, I strip the factory paint with both of those and no melting of the foam and it comes right off too.
              AMA 424553

Comment

I came across this old video when researching the interweb on the subject. Looks fine, but still scares the bejeezus outta me.
                With my luck... it'll melt away like the first sample!

HobbyZone Mini Apprentice 1220mm: Passed on to my son
                E-Flite PT-17 Stearman 1.1m: Passed on
                E-Flite PT-17 Stearman 1.1m v2: Current Flyer
                Dynam F4U Corsair 1.2m: Awaiting training day graduation

Comment

Regarding thinning latex paint with plain old water. Yes it will work. I use water and alcohol to thin latex paint for airbrushing. During the warm summer months, I use water as a thinner. During cooler months, I use alcohol as thinner. The reasons for this is that alcohol evaporates to quick in higher temperatures and water evaporates to slow in lower temperatures. With both types of thinners, the paint is thinned to the consistency of milk + or -.

Comment

Don't know about the spray cans, but Liquitex acrylics have been a staple for my art work and more recently my airplanes, it's great.
                    I use the Walmart bottles of crafts paint as well as Valspar that I get a sample can premixed at Ace Hardware. You can't beat the price!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wing painting 005.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	142999Click image for larger version

Name:	wing painting 045.JPG
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	143000Click image for larger version

Name:	wing painting 035.JPG
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	143001Click image for larger version

Name:	wing painting 062.JPG
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	143002

Pandora 1 and Pandora 2 a before and after shot. I follow up with a clear coat of Minwax Spar Urethane or Varathane Spar Urethane for a glossy finish. They both have a UV protectant in them, the Minwax seems a bit more shiny so its been my 'go to' lately. Does it last??

Three years and lots of flights later ( not to mention some crashes)
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8853.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	143003
                    Team Gross!

Comment

yup yup... I use the Folkart for touch ups myself. Good stuff... works well.
                      HobbyZone Mini Apprentice 1220mm: Passed on to my son
                      E-Flite PT-17 Stearman 1.1m: Passed on
                      E-Flite PT-17 Stearman 1.1m v2: Current Flyer
                      Dynam F4U Corsair 1.2m: Awaiting training day graduation

Comment

Working...
                      X