• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a field charging setup

Planes: Graupner Husky 1800S and Multiplex Mentor
    Batteries are Hyperion G7 Si-Graphene, 4S, Standard Voltage, 3300 mAh
    Charger is iCharger 106 B+

I intend to do some small glider towing this summer and need a field setup to repeatedly charge batteries through the day. I suppose I need something along the line of a 12volt, high CCA, deep cycle battery and a cart or something that is already factory provisioned.

Any ideas from anyone?

Regards

I use a deep-cycle 12v Marine battery & my dual voltage Thunder Power AC680 power supply & can charge batteries all day at the field. Never had any issues. I leave the battery & charger in the back of my Cherokee in the shade when at the field.

Denny
    *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
    *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

Really depends how much you plan to recharge as to what source will be needed.

Your average "marine deep cycle" isn't a true deep cycle battery. Its a compromise battery to give power to start up to appx 250 hp outboard and run a trolling motor for a reasonable time. If it says its a 120 ah battery its good for about 60 to 70 ah as a supply for your field charger.

That is a few charges for small to medium 3S and 4S packs.

I drained one to the low input voltage shutdown of my charger in 2 recharges of 12S 5000 mah.

If that isn't adequate, you need either a portable generator or something that will just about need a trailer to carry it.

I have 105 watts of solar panels and 4 high capacity batteries installed in my model aircraft trailer allowing up to 4 hours of pulling 100 amps before its drained.
      Next update will be newer version panels for 80% more solar input from the same area.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I use a "Wally World" $50 car battery (the deep cycle batteries usually aren't) and I can charge my 6s 5000s probably 3 or 4 times. I usually carry 4 6s batteries. So I can fly 6-8 times with that setup.
        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Thanks all and sorry for the slow reply back. The Christmas holidays are taking a 'time' toll on me. :) A gas tow plane would be much simpler to deal with but my gas days are over with so I will have to learn to deal with the electric field charging side of this matter.

I looked at gas inverter generators and frankly the cost and noise is more than I want. I had a buddy some years ago that had a propane fed Honda generator ( I think it was a Honda ) that was near silent. You could stand next to it and barely hear it run. I don't mind the expense so much as I do the noise so I am looking for propane fed inverter generators now.

In the end, it just may be simpler to deal with a couple of batteries that I lug back and forth and keep on a charge at the house, then carry to the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggelos View Post
            Thanks all and sorry for the slow reply back. The Christmas holidays are taking a 'time' toll on me. :) A gas tow plane would be much simpler to deal with but my gas days are over with so I will have to learn to deal with the electric field charging side of this matter.

I looked at gas inverter generators and frankly the cost and noise is more than I want. I had a buddy some years ago that had a propane fed Honda generator ( I think it was a Honda ) that was near silent. You could stand next to it and barely hear it run. I don't mind the expense so much as I do the noise so I am looking for propane fed inverter generators now.

In the end, it just may be simpler to deal with a couple of batteries that I lug back and forth and keep on a charge at the house, then carry to the field.
            Hello Aggelos,
            The noise level from a gas powered inverter generator is within a dB or so of a propane powered one. No real significant difference that the average person is gonna hear.
            I use a Yamaha 3500kW gas inverter (53 to 60dBA noise) to run my rollin bunkhouse/hangar 120vAC requirements which included a 15A DC charger for my two 55Ah deep cycles.
            60 dBA is equivalent to: Conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 feet.
            When I'm not traveling with the bunkhouse, normal operation of one of the 55Ah deep cycles at the field will get me a 4000mAh 4S LiPo charged 8 times.
            Hope you find this as helpful info in making a decision.
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

That generator is on my list of things to buy, I heard it first hand and its simply amazing, as CB has said, you get what you pay for, this is a gem!

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Hope you are only charging 1 battery on this. The cigarette lighter port is limited to 2 Amps tops but I guess you should blow a fuse anyway if you try to pull more than what is safe. People have burned down cars like this.

The way I do it: I hook my charger directly to the car's battery and I monitor the input voltage from the charger, if the car's battery is at ~50%, I turn on the car for 10-15 mins while charging. I can go all day like this.

Car batteries are often the unsung heroes of our vehicles. In fact, it’s safe to say that most of us don’t really think about them until there’s a problem with the current one, which usually seems to happen during the most inconvenient situations.  With that said, when it’s time to get a new battery for …

Comment

Originally posted by yorkiepap View Post
                  I use a deep-cycle 12v Marine battery & my dual voltage Thunder Power AC680 power supply & can charge batteries all day at the field. Never had any issues. I leave the battery & charger in the back of my Cherokee in the shade when at the field.

Denny
                  +1 mines gone above and beyond. Charges 6S batteries all day long. We once hooked up 4 chargers to it and it just keep on charging. No noise either.

Mike
                  \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Hope you are only charging 1 battery on this. The cigarette lighter port is limited to 2 Amps tops but I guess you should blow a fuse anyway if you try to pull more than what is safe. People have burned down cars like this.

The way I do it: I hook my charger directly to the car's battery and I monitor the input voltage from the charger, if the car's battery is at ~50%, I turn on the car for 10-15 mins while charging. I can go all day like this.

Best Car Battery - Review & Buying Guide 2019
                    Deneme bonusu veren siteler almanın avantajları, çevrim şartları, kazanç elde etme olasılığı ve en iyi deneme bonusu veren siteler hakkında bilgi edinin.

Car batteries are often the unsung heroes of our vehicles. In fact, it’s safe to say that most of us don’t really think about them until there’s a problem with the current one, which usually seems to happen during the most inconvenient situations. With that said, when it’s time to get a new battery for …
                    Today I want to write about best car batteries, which battery is good for your car and which don't. Mostly startup problems are just because of low performance, strengthless batteries.

Comment

I'd recommend a deep cycle, AGM battery. CCA won't be as important for a non-starting battery, though if you plan to use it as your standard battery as well as for charging your RC devices, it would be best to get both. I personally would recommend the Optima Red Top or Yellow Top battery as the best car battery for field charging. If you have enough of a need, you might consider getting one of these in addition to your regular car battery. It can be wired into your trunk, inside of a vented battery box and will be charged by your alternator but won't take away from your starter battery. This is common on performance vehicles and aftermarket stereos to handle the increased load.
                      Best Car Battery

Last edited by ASECertified; Oct 29, 2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I like the way ASECERTIFIED is doing it but sources are telling me that the only way to get the best performance out of my charger [406 DUO charging twin 6s 5300 packs] is to get a 30+ volt supply. I have wired up servo power supplies for 24v but not seen anything greater available. I'm shopping 2200watt inverter generators but would really appreciate an alternate idea....just don't want to deal with the generator if I don't have to......ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by ted schoonard View Post
                          I like the way ASECERTIFIED is doing it but sources are telling me that the only way to get the best performance out of my charger [406 DUO charging twin 6s 5300 packs] is to get a 30+ volt supply. I have wired up servo power supplies for 24v but not seen anything greater available. I'm shopping 2200watt inverter generators but would really appreciate an alternate idea....just don't want to deal with the generator if I don't have to......ideas?
                          :Confused: How is an inverter generator gonna provide your 30Vdc. 2200W inverter generator brands like Honda/Yamaha/etc only put out 120Vac and 12Vdc.
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Reply.........It's certainly not going to provide 30v...... was only expressing various power sources I was looking at, not ideal, otherwise I wouldn't be here. Look, I'm first to admit I need expert advice on electrics. Learning curve from old nitro days is steep. The generator would at least provide 120vac to a power supply just like the server power supplies that I have wired to 24v, just looking for optimal power for the charger so I'm considering the 30+volt notion. I see there are server power supplies that provide 30v but so far all I've seen are low power. If I'm nuts, fine, but advice is why I'm here.

Comment

Originally posted by ted schoonard View Post
                              I prefer a generator to a storage battery for field charging where AC power is not available. I own Honda 1000 watt unit that has been flawless.

You don't need 2200 watts for that. Simultaneously charging two 6S, 5300 mah packs at 2C requires less than 600 watts by the numbers, although some head room is preferable. A 1000 watt inverter generator, and a 24 volt power supply will do the jobnicely

This is no Honda, but it's about the cheapest you can find.
                              https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportsman...hoCtvYQAvD_BwE

24 volt power supply at a reasonable price
                              https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...vdc-50amp.html

Comment

Originally posted by davecee View Post

This is no Honda, but it's about the cheapest you can find.
                                https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportsman...hoCtvYQAvD_BwEl[/URL]
                                These can be had at Home Depot when they're on sale for $180. There is three of us at my field using these. I had to return my first one, but my second one is working fine and the other two guys have had no issues for the past couple years.

Paired with a new Christmas gift, a Pulse PLC400D charger, it makes for a easy to transport and set up charging station.

Comment

Okay, I'm at the field and I need to charge my batteries. I pop the hood and then what? I have a short cable that plugs into the back of my Dynamite Prophet Sport Plus. I can plug this this cable in and hook the alligator clips to the field battery in my field box and all the lights come on and everything seems to be working. (12 volt battery - I have 2...) . Is it enough juice to power my charger? Can I simply plug my charger to my car battery with out some sort of regulator? I have a $89 generator I bought from Harbor Freight, loud as hell and not very reliable. Should I use that? Do I need to buy a car battery strictly for my charger? I'm sinking here guys. It's sunny and 75 with light winds - I want to fly all day but need a little coaching. Any thrifty reliable sources of charge anywhere in this paragraph?

Comment

I use a deep cycle marine battery. Has all the power I need and I don't have to worry about killing my car battery..

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post
                                      I use a deep cycle marine battery. Has all the power I need and I don't have to worry about killing my car battery..

Mike
                                      Hi Mike. Thanks for the input. So, you hook up your charger to a marine battery with alligator clips? I just bought a Kia Serento and it has 12 volt hookups everywhere. Can anything you know of plug into these?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Wakeley Jr. View Post

Hi Mike. Thanks for the input. So, you hook up your charger to a marine battery with alligator clips? I just bought a Kia Serento and it has 12 volt hookups everywhere. Can anything you know of plug into these?
                                        Yep alligator clips are fine. I don't advocate using your car battery's system. Those batteries just aren't designed for that and can't take it especially during the summer heat. I killed 2 car batteries using them to charge lipo's.
                                        Mike

Comment

Working...
                                        X