X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can one use Nicads??over Lipos?

Just curious to know if I could gang 8 nicads in series to serve as a 11.1 3s Lipo?  If the batteries were 2200mah and soldered into series?  Would they last as long as lipos?  Would they have the same punch and durability?  Could I used them in my plane and not notice the difference?

RE: Can one use Nicads??over Lipos?

Originally posted by trying2fly
    Just curious to know if I could gang 8 nicads in series to serve as a 11.1 3s Lipo?  If the batteries were 2200mah and soldered into series?  Would they last as long as lipos?  Would they have the same punch and durability?  Could I used them in my plane and not notice the difference?
    First, you'd have to use 9 (1.2V * 9 = 10.8V), and second, you would get a lot less performance, for two reasons. The internal resistance of NiCd batteries is a lot higher than LiPo, so the current you can draw is a lot less, meaning the power would be greatly reduced. The weight of 9 NiCd cells is several times that of the same capacity LiPo, so a plane designed for LiPo may not even fly. At one time, NiCd was the battery used in electric flight, but those aircraft couldn't fly for long, or with the kind of sporty capabilities as LiPo-powered aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by WintrSol
      First, you'd have to use 9 (1.2V * 9 = 10.8V), and second, you would get a lot less performance, for two reasons. The internal resistance of NiCd batteries is a lot higher than LiPo, so the current you can draw is a lot less, meaning the power would be greatly reduced. The weight of 9 NiCd cells is several times that of the same capacity LiPo, so a plane designed for LiPo may not even fly. At one time, NiCd was the battery used in electric flight, but those aircraft couldn't fly for long, or with the kind of sporty capabilities as LiPo-powered aircraft.
      [hr]
      Thanx. I am a beginner...can you tell?

Comment

Originally posted by WintrSol
        [hr]
        Thanx. I am a beginner...can you tell?
        I actually had a NiCd powered foam aircraft; you had to throw it into the air, as it didn't have the power to fly off the ground. It may have been somewhat better with a brushless motor and ESC, but all it had was a switch to turn the motor on, full speed. It flew a few minutes.

Comment

Working...
        X