X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lipo Charging rate

Here's a quote from ** LiPo BATTERY CHARGER SAFETY WARNING ** that's on the bottom of a battery charger description page.

"Never overcharge or exceed a 1C charge current.  A 1C charge current means the charge current equals the capacity of the battery.  For example, a 2200mAh battery should never be charged using a current greater than 2.2 Amps (2200mAh)."

My questions is:  If a battery specification says "Charge rate 3c" does that mean I can charge that "3c charge rate" 2200mAh at 6.6 Amps max?? Not 2.2 Amps as the warning says.

I'm thinking because of the Charge Rate of the battery specs being "3c", and not 1c. I can charge at that higher Amp rate.

Thanks,

Lon
    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

RE: Lipo Charging rate

Originally posted by Lon
    Here's a quote from ** LiPo BATTERY CHARGER SAFETY WARNING ** that's on the bottom of a battery charger description page.

"Never overcharge or exceed a 1C charge current.  A 1C charge current means the charge current equals the capacity of the battery.  For example, a 2200mAh battery should never be charged using a current greater than 2.2 Amps (2200mAh)."

My questions is:  If a battery specification says "Charge rate 3c" does that mean I can charge that "3c charge rate" 2200mAh at 6.6 Amps max?? Not 2.2 Amps as the warning says.

I'm thinking because of the Charge Rate of the battery specs being "3c", and not 1c. I can charge at that higher Amp rate.

Thanks,

Lon
    Yes, that's what it means. There are contributors to another forum who have been charging at 2-5C for years, even before the batteries were marked for higher than 1C, and report no issues with shortened battery life, or anything else. Of course, most LiPo fires start during charging, so never leave a charging LiPo unobserved, especially at higher than 1C rates, and always have them in a relatively flame-resistant area or container.

Comment

RE: Lipo Charging rate

Originally posted by WintrSol
      Originally posted by Lon

Thanks,

Lon
      Yes, that's what it means. There are contributors to another forum who have been charging at 2-5C for years, even before the batteries were marked for higher than 1C, and report no issues with shortened battery life, or anything else. Of course, most LiPo fires start during charging, so never leave a charging LiPo unobserved, especially at higher than 1C rates, and always have them in a relatively flame-resistant area or container.
      Thank you WintrSol.  Appreciate your input to confirm my thoughts.
      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Working...
      X