X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Disposal

Ok I have a dead lipo that's at 0% and can't recharge , how is the best way to dispose of it ?

Bryan 
    But Crashing is Landing

RE: Battery Disposal

Originally posted by Hippie 64
    Ok I have a dead lipo that's at 0% and can't recharge , how is the best way to dispose of it ?

Bryan 
    Make sure that it's REALLY fully discharged. Put a multimeter on the balance plug and test that each individual cell is 01.V or less. If not or you're unsure, rig up a slow discharger by hooking the battery up to an automotive bulb. Once the lipo is FULLY discharged it can never overheat, catch on fire, etc. and can simply be disposed of by putting it in the normal trash. You've also probably seen the idea of placing it in a salt solution for a week or two. That's another way of safely discharging it but I personally find the bulb discharge quicker and less messy. Never puncture or cut the cells.

Bill M.

Comment

Ive heard of the salt solution, but after totally discharged can we drop them at a recycle bin somewhere. My local Lowes has such a bin when you first walk in. But for cell batteries and cordless tools. I suppose our lipos would be ok.
      Two things a pilot can waste, the sky above him and the runway behind him.

Comment

Thanks ! I've had a Digital Meter on it and there is nothing. This is the one that sat in the tree for two weeks in the stuck FW-190 . Had lights, receiver etc. drawing on it . Already cut off the power lead to make a extension later .
        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades
          Ive heard of the salt solution, but after totally discharged can we drop them at a recycle bin somewhere. My local Lowes has such a bin when you first walk in. But for cell batteries and cordless tools. I suppose our lipos would be ok.
          Lipos don't contain toxic materials (like the cadmium in NiCd batteries). Despite the potential fire hazard during overcharging/over discharging, after lipos are fully discharged slowly they are nontoxic, nonhazardous and are safe to dispose of as standard household waste....no recycling required (or even possible AFAIK). Here's one possible reference: http://www.rctoys.com/pr/2007/07/06/safely-dispose-of-lithium-polymer-lipo-lipoly-battery-packs/
          [hr]
          Originally posted by Hippie 64
          Thanks ! I've had a Digital Meter on it and there is nothing. This is the one that sat in the tree for two weeks in the stuck FW-190 . Had lights, receiver etc. drawing on it . Already cut off the power lead to make a extension later .
          Not sure if that is the best way to discharge them  :D  :D  but sounds like they should be good to go!

Comment

That's an informative guide, Wpmay. Thanks for posting.
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
            X