X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LiPo Discharge Current

I am trying to determine what the maximum discharge current for a LiPo battery. As an example I am using a E-flite 3S 11.1V 3200mAh with a 30C rating. It has a maximum charge rate of 3C.

I currently have a Hitec X1 Touch and X4 AC Plus charger.

The Hitec X1 Touch has a maximum discharge current of 55w

What are the recommendations for discharging a LiPo battery?

RE: LiPo Discharge Current

Originally posted by PLCMAN58
    I am trying to determine what the maximum discharge current for a LiPo battery.  As an example I am using a E-flite 3S 11.1V 3200mAh with a 30C rating. It has a maximum charge rate of 3C.

There are 2 ways you can discharge your batteries. 1 you can set your charger to store and the charger will bring the battery to a safe storage lvl (recommended). 2 you can discharge; here I believe that you can not discharge higher than 1a and depending on your charger you have the possibility of draining your cells to low and destroying the battery (dangerous). Both ways will do the job, is just safer for your wallet and your batteries if you discharge in storage mode. but this is my opinion not gospel.
    Flight Risk (Sean)
    AMA # 986105

Comment

RE: LiPo Discharge Current

Originally posted by PLCMAN58
      I am trying to determine what the maximum discharge current for a LiPo battery.  As an example I am using a E-flite 3S 11.1V 3200mAh with a 30C rating. It has a maximum charge rate of 3C.

When using either the storage mode or discharge mode, the charger will limit the current to keep the power at 55W, so you can set it as high as the charger allows. A 3S battery, fully charged, is 12.6V, so that current will be just over 4A, but the voltage won't stay there long, and the current could rise to just under 5A. As SM points out, you shouldn't use discharge mode; the charger will limit the voltage (settings vary), but doing a full discharge won't tell you much about the battery, and it will be left at too low a voltage. A storage mode discharge is subject to the same Wattage and current limits, but will stop around 3.8V, a good value to keep the batteries between uses. Personally, if I know the batteries are above storage charge, I set the discharge current as high as it will go, and let the charger limit it. But, if the battery has been used, then set the charge current as you would if you were preparing the battery for use.

Comment

Working...
      X