You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Admiral Carbon 5100mAh 6S 22.2V 70C ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Admiral Carbon 5100mAh 6S 22.2V 70C ?

i see that mrc has a new 6s battery, Admiral Carbon 5100mAh 6S 22.2V 70C what I don't get is why they only went with 5100mah? ive been asking for 5500 or even a 6000mah would be better.

I'm thinking that this will be a "must have" for the new beast of an EDF known only as Project Foil:):Cool:.

Comment

Originally posted by axerhand1976 View Post
      i see that mrc has a new 6s battery, Admiral Carbon 5100mAh 6S 22.2V 70C what I don't get is why they only went with 5100mah? ive been asking for 5500 or even a 6000mah would be better.
      Probably because of weight. There's diminishing returns for power required/time when batteries get heavier. I stuffed a 6200mAh in my 90mm F-104 and it really doesn't fly any longer but takes more power to fly around and doesn't fly as well being heavier. Same with my FW F-14. It's designed for two 4000mAh batteries but everyone is cramming a couple 5000+ batteries in there including myself and you notice the weight. Especially on landings,

Comment

Would this "carbon" battery be a similar technology as other brands of "graphene"?

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
          Would this "carbon" battery be a similar technology as other brands of "graphene"?
          Yes, absolutely. I did not want to call it "graphene" or use the word graphene since it does not contain any graphene. So far nobody has figured out how to mass produce Graphene and use it in batteries. The technology never came to fruition for batteries but scientists and companies are still working on ways to mass produce graphene.

Comment

hk has there graphene batts but, they only contain around .004 %

Comment

Originally posted by axerhand1976 View Post
              hk has there graphene batts but, they only contain around .004 %
              It doesn't take much. My understanding is that the "graphene" layer is 1 molecule thick.

Comment

I could be wrong but I'm about 99% sure there is not any battery on the market with any graphene in it. Instead they use carbon or graphite as the conductor because those materials have extremely low resistance. I don't think I'm giving away any secrets. Anyway, that is what we do and the Admiral Carbon will perform as well or better than any battery containing "graphene" and the Admiral Carbon has slightly less weight and stays slightly cooler. The discharge curve is very gradual compared to a normal LiPo which means you have nearly as much power at the end of the flight as you do in the beginning. For all intensive purposes, a normal LiPo will lose "C rating" as you discharge it during flight. With a normal LiPo, the first 10 seconds of your flight are when you have the most power. After that, you feel the power decrease as you get further into the flight. This is especially noticeable in an EDF. With the Admiral Carbon, the power decrease is so gradual, it is not noticed. The end of your flight feels nearly the same as the beginning. Just like a normal LiPo, you want to shoot for about 3.7V per cell at rest after the flight. personally I shoot for about 3.75 to be safe. Basically, treat it like a normal LiPo and you will be rewarded.

Comment

Graphene and graphite are both carbon. Graphene is simply bonded carbon atoms in a sheet that is one atom thick.

Comment

I think that Tom's point is that the Company Which Must Not Be Named is using "Graphene" just as a marketing gimmick, its just a brand name.
                    It is misleading and makes the battery seem "high-tech" but the only graphene in it is the name on the plastic label. Which I suspected all along, because those batteries don't seem to be any different in terms of performance. I love my Admirals.

I have no idea if the high performance of this new 5100 is going to offset the considerable extra weight. For example two of them in my A-10 will increase the weight by half a pound! (248gms) And the plane does just fine with the original 5000's. I have also used RT6250's (35C) with very good results. So my twin 80 EDF obviously doesn't really need the high Cs and 5100mah isn't going to provide more than a few seconds of extra flight time.

So why do I need such a high C rating?
                    Well I suppose that the extra C's would be very important (and necessary) if you had a very high-current-draw model like a quad-80mm Vulcan bomber! Or a 6-engine B-36! Oh boy!!
                    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Or a B-1, B-58 or Canberra! ;)

Comment

How about this? My attempt at threadjacking :P

A Saunder's Roe Princess - the world's largest flying boat, with 10 turboprops (4 pairs with CR and two more for good measure)...

330,000 lbs gross weight.... 25,000 HP. Now, THAT would need a 70C battery!

Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Here is a little more explanation. Hope this makes sense. These Admiral Carbon packs have very low IR (internal resistance) which effectively raises the C rating. A carbon conductor is used to keep IR super low. Carbon has virtually no resistance (well, very little resistance). The benefit is a very slow and shallow discharge curve when looking at amperage output. A regular LiPo produces the highest C rating for the first 10 seconds. After that, the amperage a regular LiPo provides becomes less and less as the flight goes on. I’m sure all of you notice this is higher amperage planes. You can’t get the performance at the end of the flight you had in the beginning. The Admiral Carbon will give you nearly the same performance at the end of the flight as compared to the beginning. You do have to use a timer because you will not know when it is time to land by the battery performance. Eventually the Admiral Carbon becomes discharged and performance literally falls off a cliff as you hit LVC (and you never want to discharge this much with any LiPo battery as it will damage the battery). Here is my super crude drawing to illustrate the difference:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	1 Size:	35.8 KB ID:	148318

That said, performance comes at a cost. These packs are heavier and larger than a normal LiPo pack.

Comment

Thanks Tom, that is a great explanation that I can understand. Higher-C packs are important for planes that have high amperage draws and this new pack looks like it will be great for that kind of purpose, and as you have illustrated it will be important to use a timer!

Comment

Would this be a good choice for the Avanti S? Or is the extra weight not worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by jtconte View Post
                                Would this be a good choice for the Avanti S? Or is the extra weight not worth it?
                                I typically fly mine with a Turnigy HD 5000mah. It is 1 gram lighter. This plane can take a much bigger battery with no problems.

Comment

Did you mean 1 oz. lighter instead of 1g?

The Turnigy HD 5000 is 838g: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ack-xt-90.html
                                  While the Admiral Carbon 5100 is 866g: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-ec5-connector

Comment

Originally posted by jtconte View Post
                                    Did you mean 1 oz. lighter instead of 1g?

The Turnigy HD 5000 is 838g: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ack-xt-90.html
                                    While the Admiral Carbon 5100 is 866g: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-ec5-connector
                                    No, I meant 1 gram. I don't have the Admiral Carbon, so I'm going by the weight given in the webpage. I do have the HD and I've weighed it and it is 1 gram less than the Carbon's published weight. Besides, even if it's 1 oz., this is nothing for an Avanti S. People have flown this plane with 6000+mah.

Comment

Thanks xviper! I'll keep that in mind.
                                      Is this overkill for an Avanti S?
                                      ​​​​​​​Just waiting on Motion to notify me when the Red Avanti S is back in stock!

Comment

Here you go...

Click image for larger version  Name:	450B9887-F900-45B0-BC49-09D08B2D9452.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	133.9 KB ID:	155745
                                        TiredIron Aviation
                                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                                        X