Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admiral 3S LiPo - Lack of high mAh packs

Hello Marc and Tom,

Has any consideration been given to having a 5000mAh 3S 40C offered ??
    The reason I ask is because I am basically rebuilding my RC support system and my concern/inquiry is a two fold perspective.
    First.......Having experienced the large 6S pack issues............. primarily that of IR degradation of the two inner cells do to excessive heat being retained because of the mass of the pack and thusly shortening the life performance of the pack, myself and many others in the hobby are now moving towards using high mAh 3S pack in series. When removed after flight those 3S packs have half the surface area to cool.
    Second.....because Admiral is now making a 5000mAh 4S 40C to match the 5000 6S 40C which is a huge asset to those that are running 10S power systems I would appreciated a 3S as an alternative to that 6S.
    If RT can do it so can Admiral........you build it (with EC5) and it WILL sell;)

Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    wish I still had my auto signature:(

l
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

I'm inclined to second Charlie's request. Mainly for heat dissipation time of the 3S pack vs. 6S. I too am flying several birds in the 30cc - 100cc electric power range. Some running 4 ea. 6S 5000mah packs.

Running 2ea. 3S packs in series does come with a penalty though. That would be extra weight of pack wrapping, wire and connectors used. It would also add extra length to the batt to ESC run, possibly requiring extra cap packs to prevent wave issues. In some applications, the weight would be usefull to get a good CG instead of dead weight like lead. It would be most practicle in simple 6S to 12S 5000mah set-ups. Not sure I would try to run 8 ea. 3S packs in my 12S 10000mah 100cc bird though:Confused:.

Comment

A plane that needs 6S 5000 mah isn't concerned with the added appx 1 oz of extra wire/connector/pack wrap.

Making the packs survive YEARS vs just 20 to 30 charge cycles is well worth the little bit of weight.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I can certainly try a few and see how they sell. However, please be aware lead time is going to be about 5 months so the earliest these would show up is mid Feb. 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
          I can certainly try a few and see how they sell. However, please be aware lead time is going to be about 5 months so the earliest these would show up is mid Feb. 2019.
          I use a lot of the 3S 3300 and 3S 5000 batteries.
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

My next planned battery buy is appx 6 months to buy 4 X 3S 3300 to 4000 mah.

I generally buy in groups of 4 X 3S or 3 X 4S
            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I will be foaming at the mouth for those 5000mAh 40C 3S packs come Feb 2019 :Drooling:
              You'll sell more than a few.........Hell my initial LiPo fire loss replacement order will be for 12 of the 3S 5000 and 6 of the 4S 5000 to get back to flying:)
              (got some fire insurance money coming ;))
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

What connector would all of you be looking for on this pack? EC5? XT60? In order to make the 3S pack, I'm thinking of using the same cells as our 6S 5000 pack https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-ec5-connector
                That would make the pack a 3S, 5000mAh, 50C. Let me know how this sounds to you guys and what connector you want to see.

Comment

EC3 or EC5.
                  TiredIron Aviation
                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Since the request on these 5000 3S's is ultimately to series these into a 6S equiv source lets stay consistent with the EC5 for them due to the power capability they can generate.;)
                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

+1 for EC5s

Comment

A.P.P. Anderson power polls. :)
                        AMA 424553

Comment

So funny, I was just looking for these batteries last week on the MRC website for my 6S airliner. I wanted to distribute the weight to allow me to get rid of some lead in the tail.

Then I saw this thread today. I would definately buy a few!

If you are going to make these, please have an EC5 to Deans adapter also for people that might want to use these seperately.
                          Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

Awesome 3s 5000 50c EC5 gimmie 4 in the first batch

Comment

What connector would all of you be looking for on this pack? EC5? XT60? In order to make the 3S pack, I'm thinking of using the same cells as our 6S 5000 pack https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-ec5-connector
                              That would make the pack a 3S, 5000mAh, 50C. Let me know how this sounds to you guys and what connector you want to see.
                              EC-5 would seem to be the best as you were thinking about ... most of us would X2 them for 6s

Comment

It sounds like EC5 is the winner. I'll order with EC5.

Comment

Originally posted by vdanger View Post
                                  If you are going to make these, please have an EC5 to Deans adapter also for people that might want to use these seperately.
                                  A few people have asked for this adapter over the years but we cannot order this due to the potential hazard it creates. This adapter would cause more problems that it solves. If someone used an adapter like this in any 80mm or 90mm jet, the amperage would overwhelm the deans and melt it. We use EC5 on the larger jets because it is one of the few connectors that can handle the current. A couple years back we had a customer change the EC5 on an ME-262 to a deans. As expected, the deans connector melted and the plane crashed. That caused a messy situation.

Comment

Tom,

This adapter would be so you could use a single battery in 3 cell planes which the deans could handle.

I would think it would be doubtful that a person would take two of these EC5 equipped 3 cells, put a ec5 to deans adapter on each of them, then attach a deans serial cable, then attach a deans to ec5 adapter to attach to the ec5 equipped esc on a 80 or 90mm jet? It would be a lot more difficult and costly then to just use an ec5 equipped serial cable.
                                    Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

Problem is, the adapter would be sold on our adapter page so anyone could use it for anything and I can't figure out how to stop the liability that would create. We've seen people try to use deans in high power jets and that adapter would allow batteries such as the 4000 6S with deans or 4500 6S with deans both of which were originally intended to be used in the FMS 1700mm warbirds.

Comment

It sounds like EC5 is the winner. I'll order with EC5.
                                        I'm Stoked :Cool::)
                                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

Working...
                                        X