X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
    Problem is, the adapter would be sold on our adapter page so anyone could use it for anything and I can't figure out how to stop the liability that would create. We've seen people try to use deans in high power jets and that adapter would allow it with other batteries such as the 4000 6S with deans or 4500 6S with deans both of which were originally intended to be used in the FMS 1700mm warbirds.
    Totally concur ;) As most know there are those that are uninformed and make bad choices.
    Stupid is as stupid does and you can't stop them :Straight-Face:
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

A few people have asked for this adapter over the years but we cannot order this due to the potential hazard it creates. This adapter would cause more problems that it solves. If someone used an adapter like this in any 80mm or 90mm jet, the amperage would overwhelm the deans and melt it. We use EC5 on the larger jets because it is one of the few connectors that can handle the current. A couple years back we had a customer change the EC5 on an ME-262 to a deans. As expected, the deans connector melted and the plane crashed. That caused a messy situation.
      Mixed feelings on the Deans for high power...

I know it really shouldn't be used at extreme amps. However the BVM EVF 5000 watt 12S (thats over 100 amps full throttle) come equipped with ... DEANS.
      The ESCs are soldered to the EDF motors.
      I have over 1100 flights with the OEM Deans plug on the fan, then an extension to 4mm "banana"bullets,(as per Zippy LiPo, with the red plastic housing) splitting the web between the + and - to allow easy daisy chaining 3S and 4S packs to make up 12S.
      I believe what allowed the Deans to survive was that it stayed plugged in and heat shrink covered to prevent it from coming loose. It has maybe 4 plug-unplug cycles.

Deans CAN take the load. But you have to inspect regularly and watch for it getting hot. If there's ANY defect, its going to melt the plastic and/or the solder.

I'll be changing the plugs on my big EDFs and upgrading their ESCs before they go into their next model.

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Problem is, the adapter would be sold on our adapter page so anyone could use it for anything and I can't figure out how to stop the liability that would create. We've seen people try to use deans in high power jets and that adapter would allow it with other batteries such as the 4000 6S with deans or 4500 6S with deans both of which were originally intended to be used in the FMS 1700mm warbirds.
        Heck, I would rather have them with no connectors...I would rather do my own:Cool:
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I'm trying to sneak these in with the last order I placed a couple weeks ago to cut down the lead time. will keep everyone updated.

Comment

I'm trying to sneak these in with the last order I placed a couple weeks ago to cut down the lead time. will keep everyone updated.
            :Cool::)You da man
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I talked to the factory last night and unfortunately was not able to get these on the order currently in production. This means the ETA is around the end of January.

Comment

Am good with that also Tom. Still waiting for fire monies to rebuild with;)
                Warbird Charlie

Comment

Wow. Is that normal? Seems like a claim should have been paid out at this point. Especially with all you lost.

Comment

4 separate adjusters in involved. Vehicles and structure have been resolved. Just waiting for the contents loss to be approved and paid
                    Got the truck replaced and just ordered the all metal building. :Cool:
                    Just need the contents money for my tools and toys etc ;)
                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

Did AMA come through for you on the hobby losses?

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                        Did AMA come through for you on the hobby losses?
                        AMA will only consider AFTER the primary insurance carrier and then they want ya to jump through some more hoops too.
                        Not worth trying to receive the possible $1000(less $100 ded) :Not-Talking:
                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

How about the toy hauler CB, anything on that?

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                            How about the toy hauler CB, anything on that?

Grossman56
                            Loan resolved with a down payment for new sitting in bank waiting for spring ;)
                            Warbird Charlie

Comment

Well, that's good to hear. I guess you really don't need it until Spring and by then, you'll have a bunch of new planes to load into it, including the FlightLine RC OV-10, has a nice ring to it doesn't it??

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

I talked to the factory last night and unfortunately was not able to get these on the order currently in production. This means the ETA is around the end of January.
                                Just under two months away...........things still looking good for the 5000 40C 3S packs with EC5 near the end of January ??
                                Warbird Charlie

Comment

Yes, all looks good. We just added it to our website a few minutes ago. Looking good for end of Jan. Could spill over into early Feb if holiday congestion makes shipping a bit slower.
                                  At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Comment

A few people have asked for this adapter over the years but we cannot order this due to the potential hazard it creates. This adapter would cause more problems that it solves. If someone used an adapter like this in any 80mm or 90mm jet, the amperage would overwhelm the deans and melt it. We use EC5 on the larger jets because it is one of the few connectors that can handle the current. A couple years back we had a customer change the EC5 on an ME-262 to a deans. As expected, the deans connector melted and the plane crashed. That caused a messy situation.
                                    BS, I have used Deans from small to large planes without a problem. You should see my friends planes. He flies the 90in esm planes converted to electric using four 6s 5000 packs all using deans and never an issue for over the 10yrs . Deans connectors fail cause of poor soldering jobs. Deans and XT60 are my choice of connectors . If theres a XT90 or ec3 or ec5 on the plane I convert them down to deans or xt60. Soldering is key to good connection. I have seen store bought adapters poory soldered

Comment

Originally posted by fieldofdreamsflyer View Post

BS, I have used Deans from small to large planes without a problem. You should see my friends planes. He flies the 90in esm planes converted to electric using four 6s 5000 packs all using deans and never an issue for over the 10yrs.
                                      BS, there is a huge am draw difference between a jet (which is what we're talking about) and a prop plane.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

BS, there is a huge am draw difference between a jet (which is what we're talking about) and a prop plane.
                                        I concur with ya Dave, however the connector topic is another one of those polarized subjects due to the fact a lot of folks go by hearsay information and don't know/have the electrical engineering basis.
                                        Yes, poor soldering is a major culprit in connector failures due again to many not having the ability to make good and proper solder techniques.
                                        But, there is always two sides to the pancake and there are many electrical specs that refute the use of Deans/T connectors in high amperage applications.
                                        So not to railroad this thread from the intended title that I initiated, enough said...........now back to further status from Tom on these 3S beasts when it occurs. ;)
                                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

I can only share my experience. I've seen a number of customers who melted the connector when they switched an EC5 to a Dean or T connector. The melted connector caused the plane to lose power and go down. Unfortunately, I've seen this quite a few times over the years. Poor soldering? Maybe. Why take the chance with a connector that is not rated for the power level these jets are putting out?

Comment

Working...
                                          X