X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging in the cold

Hey folks, I'm in the Chicago area and charged 8 Admiral 6s 5000s last night and flew first thing this morning. I never checked the cells this morning but felt they didn't hold the juice they typically do. Was it just me, or with that amount of time charged and idle (approx 9hrs until first flight), do the packs lose power in the cold? Temps got down to the teens last night and I charge my batteries in my (non-heated) garage. Just thought I'd get your thoughts as it'll likely be a while until I'm able to fly again.

Purdue...........LiPo efficiency declines with colder temps.
    Google is loaded with all kinds of advise on this topic regarding charging and usage as well as storage.;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

That's funny, so are you guys.

Comment

I've kept batteries fully charged for days due to the weather taking an unexpected turn and waiting day after day for it to get nice. Although flight times may decrease a bit from a battery that was charged the night before, I can't tell much difference in performance so long as the battery isn't too old. IMO, 9 hours from charge time to use is nothing. Mine are typically at least 12 hours in the box before use.
        As far as cold is concerned, I typically fly all winter whenever the temps are no more than a few degrees below freezing. My observations are the same as in my first paragraph. Now, if you keep the batteries in the cold and allow them to get to outside ambient temps that are near freezing, that may be another story. A friend sometimes does keep his batteries in a cold car overnight but he will run the motor up to about 1/4 throttle for 20 to 30 seconds before take-off to warm them up a bit. Neither of us can tell if this actually helps but he does it anyway. I never do it, just put the battery in and blast off.

Comment

Try charging your batteries indoors where it's warmer. Charge them in a safe lipo bag, in case of fire. Your local hobby store should have them, if you don't already. I'll be charging some of mine tonight for Sunday fun fly. It's below freezing where I live to.

Comment

Yes, cold batteries are not as efficient giving up their energy as warm batteries. If you can, charge in the morning then put them in the car and head for the field. Try to keep them at least a little bit warm and they will perform better.

One caution however, don't charge a cold battery then take it inside where it's warm. The voltage may rise above a safe level.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDirt! View Post
              Yes, cold batteries are not as efficient giving up their energy as warm batteries. If you can, charge in the morning then put them in the car and head for the field. Try to keep them at least a little bit warm and they will perform better.

One caution however, don't charge a cold battery then take it inside where it's warm. The voltage may rise above a safe level.
              I’ve been stuffing a couple in my jacket when I get them out of the bag, then leave the bag in the car. Course’ it doesn’t get too cold here for long but those early mornings have seen 40 ish.

Comment

Working...
              X