X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying/Trusting a LiPo That's Been In A Crash

When I crashed my F-22 into a light pole (why not? right? lol) my relatively new Roaring Top 5500 6S 70C LiPo took some damage from the impact. I am seeking advice from others. The cells were crinkled some and you can see a contact point but there has been no actual cell leaks or compromised beyond being bent or crinkled some. I've included photos below...What are your thoughts on still using the battery? I would hate to dispose of it if it is still perfectly fine as these are not cheap. All the cells are still balanced and fully charged without issue. Thoughts? Suggestions? Appreciate it!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

If you want my opinion, I would not use it. Anytime I have a lipo with a damaged cell, I retire it.

I dont know if you have ever done this or not, but take a damaged lipo to a safe place and drive a nail through it (with one blow only!). It is quite educational the power and destructive force in those batteries.

The time a battery will blow, is during charging. I would not want something like that going up anywhere near my house.

I do know 2 guys at our club that had batteries blow during charging. Both had house fires.

its not worth taking the chance.
    Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

Tod..........The outside visible surface looks so-so but the real hidden time bomb is the inner layers that may have a slight tear/rupture and could start leaking/migrating the polymers if they happen to be a gel/liquid and not a solid polymer
      There is the anomaly to having some peace of mind because you don't know if the manufacture is using a solid or a gel/liquid polymer as the electrolyte composition.
      Here is what I would do if I was you:
      Store it by itself in a metal container like the air tight ammo boxes sold at Harbor Freight.
      Check it periodically for IR.
      If it seems to be stable as time goes by then just keep using it but be wary and don't let down your guard about the storage of it ;)
      I had one similar to that and it lasted another 2 years until it was consumed with the other 25 LiPo's in the inferno that was started by the 30+ yr old tech battery charger on a deep cycle marine battery:Angry:
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Good advice folks...I already charged it and balanced it fully after the crash and it took the charge just fine. I have it stored in my fire-proof LiPo bag for now. I may run a few cycles through it under controlled conditions using some electronics I have laying around...If it cycles and continues to charge/balance without issues I might put it back in rotation. Still not sure yet. I appreciate the input!
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I have a battery very much like what you described. It’s a Gens Ace 6s, 5000mah. It charged fine and balanced well, however, when I put it into an EDF, it didn’t put out as it should have and the plane simply didn’t have enough punch to get going fast enough to take off. I think it may work OK in a prop plane but I never bothered to try it. After running it in the EDF just driving it around the ground to deplete it to a storage charge, all cells measured even. I charged it (but not fully) and I keep it purely as a tester when setting up a new plane on the bench. It’s a shame as it’s an expensive battery but at least I’m getting some use out of it as a tester.

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
            When I crashed my F-22 into a light pole (why not? right? lol) my relatively new Roaring Top 5500 6S 70C LiPo took some damage from the impact. I am seeking advice from others. The cells were crinkled some and you can see a contact point but there has been no actual cell leaks or compromised beyond being bent or crinkled some. I've included photos below...What are your thoughts on still using the battery? I would hate to dispose of it if it is still perfectly fine as these are not cheap. All the cells are still balanced and fully charged without issue. Thoughts? Suggestions? Appreciate it!
            Aros,

Have you checked the internal resistance? Are all cells the same IR value? When batteries are damage the layer material is compromised and can lead to high resistance and then explosive discharge. Always keep these batteries separate and in a fire proof container. I use fire proof safes. Also I found this page to be most helpful and the author did a bang up job. https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/lipo-batteries.html

Keep that soul in sky and look out for those light poles. :Cool:

Comment

Thanks wolpertinger...I have used the same trusty Hyperion EOS0606i charger since, my gosh since the mid 00's when I broke into electrics. I have never measured IR before, nor does the charger support it. Sounds like it's time to upgrade. It's been a great, loyal charger that has served me well up to 6S but it's obviously time to find something more powerful and robust.
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I was wondering about storing lipos in one of those fireproof safes(like Sentry). Wasn’t sure what would happen if a Lipo fire, leak would happen from the inside. I thought These safes were designed to protect what’s inside from a fire that starts outside.

When I need to dispose of a Lipo, I run it down to the storage (shipping voltage) then drop it at Best Buy or Staples in their battery disposal drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotguy View Post
                  When I need to dispose of a Lipo, I run it down to the storage (shipping voltage) then drop it at Best Buy or Staples in their battery disposal drop.
                  If you are going to get rid of a LiPo, running it down to storage voltage is NOT enough. You should run it down to NOTHING. A LiPo at storage voltage still packs quite a wallop. I made myself a DC light bulb on an EC5 lead. I plug the bulb in when the battery is run down from being in a plane or on the discharge mode of a charger and let the bulb take it to zero. Or take it to a safe outdoor environment and drive a nail through all the cells and let it smoke and burn. Once it's done, it can be thrown into regular garbage. Lithium is not considered to be very toxic and is the lightest of the "heavy" metals.

Comment

One time I accidentally left a 1-cell Lipo connected to the ESC all night and there was nearly 0 voltage in it by morning, dropped it at best buy’s Disposal. So, I’ve disposed of lipos the correct way & the not correct way.

So so now I am curious, Is there anything wrong With Leaving the Lipo connected to the ESC all night ? the transmitter will be turned off and obviously the throttle would be at Idle. is there any safety risk here?

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotguy View Post
                      One time I accidentally left a 1-cell Lipo connected to the ESC all night and there was nearly 0 voltage in it by morning, dropped it at best buy’s Disposal. So, I’ve disposed of lipos the correct way & the not correct way.

So so now I am curious, Is there anything wrong With Leaving the Lipo connected to the ESC all night ? the transmitter will be turned off and obviously the throttle would be at Idle. is there any safety risk here?
                      I can't say for sure as I'm not knowledgeable in this area. However, I can see the possibility of a problem if you leave a battery connected to an ESC till the battery died when it involves a programmable receiver like the Spektrum 636 series or one of the programmable gyros like the HobbyEagle. In the "old" days, computer circuits didn't like diminishing voltages, not unlike new cars today. All of them have a computer on board (ECU) and even the media center is like a small computer. Experts always warn of a car battery going dead could create serious problems with these computers.
                      Most of today's smart LiPo chargers have a discharge function. Why not just let them do their job?

Comment

I just poke the Sh77 out of them with my utility knife and let the smoke out, when done toss in the recycle bin. No fuss no muss.

Before anyone says unsafe, try it you will have fun with it. or just put in salt water and walk away, no fun in that. :)
                        AMA 424553

Comment

:Scared: :Scared: :Scared: :Scared:
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by RRHandy View Post
                            I just poke the Sh77 out of them with my utility knife and let the smoke out, when done toss in the recycle bin. No fuss no muss.

Before anyone says unsafe, try it you will have fun with it. or just put in salt water and walk away, no fun in that. :)
                            I do hope your wearing safety glasses and welders gloves when you do that.:Scared:

Comment

No and No, I do wear glasses, I'm a former welder so the hands are tough skinned and former aircraft mechanic as will. :Silly::Cool:
                              AMA 424553

Comment

Working...
                              X