X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using 6s dead cell as 5s

I have a couple 6s lipos that when discharged shows one cell contantly low. After charging and balancing it comes back up but will degrade again after another use. The question is can I use this 6s as a 5? the other 5 cells are trouble free
    Chris

RE: Using 6s dead cell as 5s

You mean remove the weak (dead) cell and reassemble the pack as a 5 cell. Yes, this is doable if you know how to use a soldering iron.

If you mean to put on a larger "5 cell" prop then NO. As the larger prop will burn out the power system before the weak cell discharges to a nominal battery voltage of a 5 cell.

Another concern is; why is the cell weak (dead)? It might actually fail in an open state resulting in ZERO voltage to your radio. Batteries are cheap! Just buy an other set and treat them better. Never over Amp them and don't allow them to be discharged below 20% capacity.

Use these testers and a timer to monitor your batteries at the field
    http://www.motionrc.com/battery-testers/

P.S.
    I have to ask how do you define "constantly low"?

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad
      You mean remove the weak (dead) cell and reassemble the pack as a 5 cell. Yes, this is doable if you know how to use a soldering iron.

If you mean to put on a larger "5 cell" prop then NO. As the larger prop will burn out the power system before the weak cell discharges to a nominal battery voltage of a 5 cell.

Another concern is; why is the cell weak (dead)? It might actually fail in an open state resulting in ZERO voltage to your radio. Batteries are cheap! Just buy an other set and treat them better.  Never over Amp them and don't allow them to be discharged below 20% capacity.

Use these testers and a timer to monitor your batteries at the field
      http://www.motionrc.com/battery-testers/

P.S.
      I have to ask how do you define "constantly low"?
      Thanks Konrad,
      I just hate to throw away good cells. The affected cell tops out at 4.08. I bought this Turnigy when MRC was out of stock not more than 10 cycles on it, but you really cannot beat Admirals for dependability and quality.

Comment

A dirty secret about Lipos. That is that the current state of the art of assembly results in about a 20% failure rate. Most manufactured products have less than 1.5% failure rate. Failure being anything out of spec.

Now the painful truth about the Chinese culture is that little is wasted. So these failed components are often re-marketed as lesser products with correspondingly cheaper price.

There is a strong correlation with Chinese manufactured products between the price and the quality (suitability) of the product, more so than in the west.

As a wise man told me: Quality pays it does not cost!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lipo Battery.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	180617 This is exactly the string I was looking for. I have the same problem with a 6S Admiral battery. See attached image. One of the cells is completely gone. Are replacement cells available anywhere or do I just discharge the battery and discard it? I hate to throw a ~$100 battery away...but not worth losing a plane over a bad battery. Any thoughts? Thanks!
          Attached Files

Comment

One dead cell = drive a nail through the pack and let it burn. (in a safe location...) Then once its guaranteed inert, toss it in the trash.

The other cells are from the same lot and are the same age with the same use history. You can't trust them.
            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
            X