X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supply and servos

I am very new to this hobby. My friend gifted me a starmax 90mm F-16 edf. It is a kit so no power supply, esc or servos. I am just looking for some suggestions. Thanks for any help,

I think I may have said this before, why not put the stuff that goes into the Freewing 90mm F-16? Go the webpage for it and take a look at the upgrade section and go shopping there.
    At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

If you don't want the upgrade stuff, then just look at the stock stuff in the parts section.
    Personally, if you very new to this hobby, I would suggest you fly something else first. Fly the F-16 when you get some experience with other, simpler EDFs.

Comment

EDF F-16 is a very bad choice for a first RC model.

Start with something slower and more stable. Probably 3 to 4 models to go through in preparation for the F-16. (if you do well)
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I have an apprentice I fly. I am in no hurry to build this plane.I just want to do it right. Only looking for suggestions. This plane is far from me flying it. I talked to a few people I fly with.. I did check into the freewing f-16 parts and it is under consideration. I am just doing a thought process and dont want to be tied down to one setup. I appreciate the feed back and believe me I do listen and take suggestions. O what glue would you recommend, it was suggested clear gorilla glue.

Comment

Originally posted by RcPilotJim View Post
          O what glue would you recommend, it was suggested clear gorilla glue.
          Gorilla Glue expands as it cures. For some applications, it's good but generally, FoamTac is your friend in the foamie hobby.

Comment

Gorilla Glue is a brand name... they make many types of glue.

Moste associated with the brand is the foaming polyurethane that uses water from the air or added in some manner as a catalyst. This comes in original which is amber, making a yellowish foam and white or "dries white"
            I use the white a lot. I dn't use the amber original much any more.

They have epoxy, super glues, PVA and more types of glues along with their selection of tapes

I also use many of these products.

I also use the CHEAP Super Glue and Super Glue Gel from Harbor Freight.
            Cheap, thin CA seems to be best for installing CA hinges. Never use medium, gap filling or gel CA for this purpose.

What glue to use depends on what you are doing...

Piecing together a badly mangled foam model I use the white foaming Gorilla glue and tape everything in place and weight it down t keep it straight. I like the way the foaming action forces glue into every tiny crack in the foam, gluing places you didn't even notice were damaged.

Never completely trust a glue joint with EPO foam. Eventually the glue WILL let go of the foam. It does not matter what glue you use. Inspect your models for seams opening up on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
              Gorilla Glue expands as it cures. For some applications, it's good but generally, FoamTac is your friend in the foamie hobby.
              Also, if you do use Gorilla Glue for any of your foamie repairs, and have dogs, make sure to keep the Gorilla Glue AWAY from pets. Apparently, something about it smells edible to dogs, and if they eat it, it will expand and harden in their stomach, causing a potentially fatal blockage.

Obviously, this also applies to small children, but while I have seen reports of dogs having consumed Gorilla Glue, I haven't yet seen any reports of kids eating the stuff.

Comment

Somebody even suggested regular white elmers glue. I was looking at the foam tac.So many decisions can drive you crazy in this hobby,

Comment

Foam Tac, hands down!! Welcome to Hobby Squawk and congrats on your new jet!!! :Cool::Cool: Jerry

Comment

Thanks it will be a while before I fly the jet I am still flying my e-flite apprentice. This will also be my first kit type build. I am finding that motion rc has all the parts I need because they carry the freewing 90 mm edf f-16. Le the fun begin. I am also going to add the safe mode I think.

Comment

I am also going to add the safe mode I think.
                      That will involve using a Spektrum receiver with "SAFE" and programming it for that or using a stand alone stabilizer with some sort of "recovery" or "auto balance" mode. Both do a similar thing but in different ways. SAFE is a registered trademark of Spektrum. You should research what's involved before you get too much investment in it.

Comment

Somebody even suggested regular white elmers glue. I was looking at the foam tac.So many decisions can drive you crazy in this hobby,
                        Elmer's white glue works on foam, but it take a very long time for all of the water to migrate out. It can be WEEKS before the joint is at full strength.

Great for materials that can absorb the moisture to speed the glue drying. Gluing balsa to balsa, the joint will be stronger than the wood in just a few hours.

Yellow carpenter's glues are even better than white glue for wood joints in our hobby. (superior to CA) Still not a great choice for foam.

Comment

The Admiral Spektrum compatible RXs with gyro have a similar effect to the Spektrum Safe mode. Not quite the same though.

Comment

Thanks, I have a specktrum dx8 Transmiter. A few people I talked to also talked about the admiral receiver.

Comment

Anyone use a reciever battery with a seperate bec? I have a new fl 1600 spotty and was wo during what chemistry and mah would be sufficient for that bird. I think the servos draw .200mah per servo. I plan on using a 1500mah 3 cell lipo but it weighs 115 grams.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple D View Post
                                Anyone use a reciever battery with a seperate bec? I have a new fl 1600 spotty and was wo during what chemistry and mah would be sufficient for that bird. I think the servos draw .200mah per servo. I plan on using a 1500mah 3 cell lipo but it weighs 115 grams.
                                Traditionally, a receiver is made to accept so many volts and in terms of mah of battery needed to power it, it doesn't need that big of a battery, certainly nothing in the range of 1500mah. Also, it doesn't have to be a 3 cell, since the external BEC you choose is going to scale that down to less than 6 volts anyway. Technically, you are not using a "receiver battery" if you are powering a separate BEC - that becomes a BEC power supply. A receiver battery (one that plugs directly into the receiver) is usually a LiFe battery that is around 5 to 6 volts.
                                What's wrong with the stock UBEC that's built into the ESC? Do you have evidence that this is not a safe way to go? I take it that you are referring to the Spitfire? I had to twist my brain to figure out what you meant by a "Spotty". To calculate the servo draw down to mah per servo (IMO) is really over-thinking this rather very simple situation. I've seen several of these Spits fly stock out of the box for the whole season with nary a problem. I'm curious as to why you feel the need to go one more layer of complexity.

Comment

I dont want any issues when I run the spitty hard. I'm sure the bec in that 80 amp hobbywing esc is fine but I want a stand alone power source that is not being abused by a big motor. I want the voltage to be regulated with a quality DC to DC converter.. Spektrum recievers are sensitive to voltage drops and spikes. And that bird has a lot of servos and lights. It's a personal choice. I can't run a 6 volt battery because the landing gear apparently will not operate correctly on anything over 5.1 volts.

Comment

Internal BECs draw what it needs and always will till the battery is totally dead. By the time the motor sucks most of the juice out of a flight battery and hits the LVC, the BEC will still get all the volts it needs. I've run external BECs on a few planes that I installed "opto" ESCs. They've been known to fail, too. Even a 500mah battery will power the receiver for over 5 flights. If you're really that worried about a BEC failure, you should look into adding one of these:
                                    This is the Scorpion Backup Guard. The Backup Guard is a small, lightweight stand by power system developed for radio controlled aircraft. The Backup... SCP-SC-BUG

NOW, you've really got a redundancy system. With an external BEC, you've still only got one system. But like you say, it's your own personal choice.

Comment

Thanks for the intel. Cant wait to get this beautiful bird flying

Comment

Working...
                                      X