X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Charger

I am looking to replace my charger sometime here in the near future and was wondering what chargers people are using and why?
    My YouTube Channel

RE: Favorite Charger

PowerLab 8
    Reason POWER 1300 plus watts. I hate waiting for some of my larger batteries to charge.
    http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Products_2/Cellpro-PowerLab-8-EC5-version_2/Cellpro-PowerLab-8_1369

A close second is the TP-1430c Almost as much power and can charge 14 cells
    http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/TP1430C

And my go to field charger is the TP-820. Good power and can charge two batteries at a time.
    http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/Products/Chargers_2/TP820CD

Now the ugly truth you need strong power supplies for these. But if you are hooked on the hobbies you needs these anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jobinseattle
      I am looking to replace my charger sometime here in the near future and was wondering what chargers people are using and why?
      I would recommend a charge with at least 400 watts that can charge at least 20 amps. I don't know how long you have been in the hobby but that was the mistake I made by getting a under powered charger. I would personally get something with at least 2 ports.

All the best

Comment

Thanks All, I have been in the hobby about a year and a half.
        My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by jobinseattle
          Thanks All, I have been in the hobby about a year and a half.
          Well, you're hooked! My best advice is buy the best you can afford and maybe a bit more for ground equipment. I say this because if you are like me you will have it for a long. Airplanes maybe not so long but tools and support equipment yes.

All the best,
          Konrad

Comment

I think I am going to go with the PL8. I have heard many good things about this charger. I am curious what do you use for a power supply?
            My YouTube Channel

Comment

I have an assortment... none newer than 2 years old, so all are outdated.

That is one aspect of this hobby you will have to get used to... whatever you get it will be outdated shortly after you buy it.

Ancient and still functional... Astro 109. Good at misidentifying cell count and thus it has to be closely monitored. It also doesn't balance charge. It was one of the best chargers out there when I got it.

My primary for 2 years was a set of 3 Turnigy 420 chargers, very simple chargers that are the fastest automatic balancers I know of... even now. Discontinued.
              I still use them for fast balancing...

Then I got the Hobby king Quatro. Equal to the original version Hitec X-4. 4 * 50 watt, multi-chemistry up to 6S LiPo capable chargers in one case. The basic functions in the software are the same for newer chargers but newer ones have a couple more options.
              I still use it a lot for my packs up to 4S 3300, which is right at the 50 watt limit to charge at 1C.

Hitec X2-400... 2X 400 watt chargers in one case... essentially the same software as the Hobby King Quatro. But with 400 watt per port I can charge a set of packs used to make up 12S 5000 mah all on one port using a parallel board at 2C rate. (I use 4X 3S or 3 X 4S to make up my 12S set)
              Charging above 1C rate makes the packs take longer to balance so it really doesn't save much time when you set it to balance charge... thus I tend to go to the old 420 to get packs fast balanced by charging the low cell(s) at 2 amp rate.

for a power supply...

at the field I have a 12v solar system built into my model aircraft trailer. 800 amp-hr of batteries and 75 watts of solar cells. (It will be a very long time before I have to worry about power at the field...)

I have a 12v 30 amp rated power supply intended for electronics test equipment for home use.
              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

PL8 is a great choice!

I failed to mention that one should also look to see that any new high end charger be able to charge the new 4.35 LipoHV cells.
                I just bought a TP 820HVC for use at the family home in Denver.

As to the power supply question I use 2 HP server power supplies. As the heart of high tech is a few miles south of me (Silicon Valley) these show up all the time in the electronic surplus shop around here.

All the best,
                Konrad

Comment

[hr]
                  Originally posted by The Huff
                  Originally posted by Konrad
                  PowerLab 8
                  Reason POWER 1300 plus watts. I hate waiting for some of my larger batteries to charge.
                  http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Products_2/Cellpro-PowerLab-8-EC5-version_2/Cellpro-PowerLab-8_1369

A close second is the TP-1430c Almost as much power and can charge 14 cells
                  http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/TP1430C

And my go to field charger is the TP-820. Good power and can charge two batteries at a time.
                  http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/Products/Chargers_2/TP820CD

Now the ugly truth you need strong power supplies for these. But if you are hooked on the hobbies you needs these anyway.
                  I have the Thunderpower TP-820 and all I can say is ... It's awesome ! It can handle 400 watts
                  per channel ( two independent charging ports ) up to 20 amps per channel. It's all the charger I
                  will ever need. No more waiting forever to charge a 6s 5000mah pack with a wimpy 80watt charger
                  for me !
                  It's very easy to navigate around the software. It monitors independent cell voltages, charges,
                  balances, can be used to discharge, and I especially like the fact that it provides the ability to
                  measure internal resistance so you can monitor the health of your battery packs.
                  For hardcore EDF jockies that push the limits of their batteries C rating, this is the charger for you  :D
                  P.S. - I use the Thunderpower TP1527PS 27vdc power supply for my TP-820. A perfectly matched pair !
                  Attached Files
                  If your pack's not swellin, you're not gellin ...

Comment

Working...
                  X