X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discharging 6s battery

I got a nice double hitec smart charger recently (red and black can't think of the model number) it was pretty high rated though. What Amperage are guys discharging 6S/4S battery at for storage? I have tried at 1A-2a and both times it just ends up sitting on it for an hour and says over time limit? Should the Amps be like 6-8? Thanks

I discharge a battery at the same rate as I charge it. IE, if it's a 2200mah (regardless of cells because you set the # of cells anyway), I'll discharge it at 2.2 amps. If it's a 5000mah, discharge at 5.0 amps. And I choose "Storage" to do this. "Discharge" is supposed to kill it so you can throw it away but I find it doesn't do it long enough and it times out. I have a set up where I attach a DC light bulb to heavy gauge wire and an EC5 plug to drain it to death.

PS. If your battery so happens to start off at below the storage voltage, "Storage" will also bring it UP to the proper voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
      I discharge a battery at the same rate as I charge it. IE, if it's a 2200mah (regardless of cells because you set the # of cells anyway), I'll discharge it at 2.2 amps. If it's a 5000mah, discharge at 5.0 amps. And I choose "Storage" to do this. "Discharge" is supposed to kill it so you can throw it away but I find it doesn't do it long enough and it times out. I have a set up where I attach a DC light bulb to heavy gauge wire and an EC5 plug to drain it to death.

PS. If your battery so happens to start off at below the storage voltage, "Storage" will also bring it UP to the proper voltage.
      Thanks! will try it out hopefully it will to time out anymore, ha!

Comment

I found that the discharge amperage on both my chargers is so limited that it takes forever and more than one cycle to get from full charge to storage charge. I have found a new method that can put a 5000mah 6s battery from full to storage in 15 minutes +-. I have a 80mm EDF and ESC from a dead plane, so I clamped the EDF to my bench vise, plugged the ESC plug into my servo tester and plugged in the 6S battery. I can regulate the EDF speed with the servo tester, monitor the cell voltages and charge remaining with my battery capacity checker plugged into the balance pot, keeping the ESC and battery in the exhaust stream of the EDF to keep things cool. VOILA !

Comment

Working...
        X