Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Questions

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Questions

I have a Syma X5C-1.

Exact kit if this helps is: Potensic® Luxury Collection Upgraded Version Syma X5C-1 quadcopter and Carrying Case for Syma X5C-1 X5C X5 Quadcopter Drone FJPJ0125

Based on a recommendation from a person who posted a video showing this working I ordered three 750 mAh Batteries.
    (Turnigy nano-tech 3.75 volt 750 mAh batteries)
    The batteries that came with the QuadCopter are 650 mAh batteries.

I plugged the battery into the 4 in 1 charger that came with the kit, and the charger smoked, a blister formed and died.
    I then placed the battery into the QuadCopter and it started to smoke so I quickly removed it. No known damage. (I flew it for an hour today using the original 650 mAh batteries)

These are the original batteries and charger:
    3.7V 600mAh 20C Lipo Battery(4PCS) with 4 In 1 X4 Battery Charger for Syma X5 X5C Parts

Needless to say, I'm a bit afraid to use my three new 750 mAh batteries.

I also purchased an 'Intelligent Battery Conditioner'
    GT POWER Model 606-D Li-Po LiPo Li-Polymer R/C Digital Charger (EU Plug) BC055

It came with a lot of cables for charging, but none fit the batteries my QuadCopter uses.
    Here is a picture of the connector:
    (and the replacement battery I am now afraid to use)
    Battery and Connector Picture

Having posted all this my questions are:
    Why did I melt my charger with this battery?
    My understanding of amps is, you can't push amps out of a battery, only draw them, so a 1200 mAh battery should have done no more harm when used in a device than a 600 Mah battery. (at least from an ampere standpoint)

The second question I have is:
    Where can I find a cable to allow me to charge these battery type with the 606-D charger I bought. I can't even find the name of this connector. I have Spade outputs on the charger and the supplied cables (many of them) use Deans connector for the splice between each connector type.

I have no problem soldering etc, if I can find the parts. I jsut don't know the name of this connector.

Thanks All, and Happy New Year.

-= Bruce

RE: Newbie Questions

Originally posted by bdmeyer
    I have a Syma X5C-1.

Exact kit if this helps is: Potensic® Luxury Collection Upgraded Version Syma X5C-1 quadcopter and Carrying Case for Syma X5C-1 X5C X5 Quadcopter Drone FJPJ0125

Based on a recommendation from a person who posted a video showing this working I ordered three 750 mAh Batteries.

I plugged the battery into the 4 in 1 charger that came with the kit, and the charger smoked, a blister formed and died.
    I then placed the battery into the QuadCopter and it started to smoke so I quickly removed it. No known damage. (I flew it for an hour today using the original 650 mAh batteries)

3.7V 600mAh 20C Lipo Battery(4PCS) with 4 In 1 X4 Battery Charger for Syma X5 X5C Parts

It came with a lot of cables for charging, but none fit the batteries my QuadCopter uses.

My understanding of amps is, you can't push amps out of a battery, only draw them, so a 1200 mAh battery should have done no more harm when used in a device than a 600 Mah battery. (at least from an ampere standpoint)

Where can I find a cable to allow me to charge these battery type with the 606-D charger I bought. I can't even find the name of this connector. I have Spade outputs on the charger and the supplied cables (many of them) use Deans connector for the splice between each connector type.

I have no problem soldering etc, if I can find the parts. I jsut don't know the name of this connector.

-= Bruce
    I am not exactly familiar with that problem but I don't think it was the battery. The charger's the kits and such come with are the cheapest and probably the least quality, they aren't made like the other ones. The charger probably short circuited and damaged the battery which is what caused both to smoke. I have never seen that connector before and my only recommendation to you if you know how to solder would be to change it to something more common like a JST for your sake which would allow you to shop a larger selection of batteries plus the added benefit of using your new charger.

If you need any more information please let me know. The battery brands I would suggest are Turnigy, Thunder Power, Dinogy, and Admiral

Good luck

Comment

I've got a model with the same connector... and its easy to plug that backward, which could explain all symptoms and issues.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I received a reply to my email to the manufacturer who replied that I needed to swap the polarity on the battery.
        I did that, and have successfully charged the three turnigy batteries, and tried them each briefly in the QuadCopter.
        Everything is now working perfectly.
        Thank you for your quick response.

-= Bruce

Originally posted by ss0028
        Originally posted by bdmeyer
        I have a Syma X5C-1.

-= Bruce
        I am not exactly familiar with that problem but I don't think it was the battery. The charger's the kits and such come with are the cheapest and probably the least quality, they aren't made like the other ones. The charger probably short circuited and damaged the battery which is what caused both to smoke. I have never seen that connector before and my only recommendation to you if you know how to solder would be to change it to something more common like a JST for your sake which would allow you to shop a larger selection of batteries plus the added benefit of using your new charger.

If you need any more information please let me know. The battery brands I would suggest are Turnigy, Thunder Power, Dinogy, and Admiral  

Good luck
        [hr]
        Originally posted by fhhuber
        I've got a model with the same connector... and its easy to plug that backward, which could explain all symptoms and issues.
        My connector has a slot that makes it impossible to put in upside down. It's hard to see in the picture, but it is 'idiot proofed.'

-= Bruce

Comment

Working...
        X