Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries and Deans connectors

Hey guys,
    Just read something about deans connectors and the amount of amps they can handle. Is it true they can fail at over 40 amps? I know on my planes I have deans on all of them. I recently purchased a plane that requires 6s batteries and a 65 amp ESC. I read this and was concerned. I didn't want to have any problems while flying. I bought my batteries on here and have never had any problems so I am thinking this isn't a problem. But if anyone knows anything about this please let me know. Thanks for your input!
    Rick

Re: Batteries and Deans connectors

I use Deans on everything RC that I own. I've never had them fail.

In offroad, I've tested at 120A+ burst ratings, so you shouldn't have any problems.
    Hangar: 90mm F16, 90mm F-15, 80mm Mirage, 90mm F-18, 1400mm P-40, 64mm F-22

RIP: 80mm F-14

Comment

The official specs have the Deans connectors rated at 60A continuous or 75A burst. Above 60A I would recommend an EC5 or ADMXT150 connector, which is what we use on our higher amp draw planes like the SU35 and Stinger 90.

Mark

Comment

Thanks guys!!! I am right at the 60 amp threshold and as wanting to be sure. I have never had any problems and I don't want to change all of my batteries. MRC has the best batteries and prices so I have always purchased batteries here. Question.... If the connector was going to fail I am guessing it would be heating up. Is that correct? I am asking if I can keep a check on temp of the connector, and if it is getting hot them most likely I am needing to make a EC5 change?

Thanks again!!

Comment

Yes, if you overtask the connector the insulator, in this case the red housing, will deform, melt or discolor. You would really need to hit a Deans with a ton of amps to make it fail however. If the connector is warm, even a little hot this is perfectly fine. If it is too hot to touch you are likely overtasking the metal connections within the insulator and should move to larger connector.

Comment

Make sure you make the connection tight! I know that sounds silly to most people, but I have seen people not push connections in all the way because they complain and say they can not get them lose and there afraid they will yank there esc out or punch a hole in their plane trying to pull them apart. I know that the deans and even the EC3/5 connections can be tight and hard to pull apart, the trick is to just pull steady and slow, don't try to jerk them apart. If you don't push them in tight all the way then you have some play, in an electrical connection that play leads to arcing, arcing leads to an increase in amperage (heat) then you have trouble.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I tested this morning and pulling about 65 amps. The connector was little warm after testing but everything seems to be fine. I appreciate all the feedback and I feel much better about taking this plane up on its maiden flight this sunday. Its great to have a place like this to post questions and get quick, reliable replies. Thanks MRC for everything! And thanks to all the people who posted!

Comment

I never had any problems with Dean's and use on mostly all my planes including the 6-cell ones. However, I like the XT150 connectors once I figured out how to use them primarily because there is no "spark" on connections. I wish MRC would provide some instructions on how to use them. I had to do much trial and error to figure out the mating part. Hey Tom help us out here, please.

Comment

<quote author='Mark'>
                  The official specs have the Deans connectors rated at 60A continuous or 75A
                  burst. Above 60A I would recommend an EC5 or ADMXT150 connector, which is
                  what we use on our higher amp draw planes like the SU35 and Stinger 90.

Mark
                  </quote>

Deans doesn't publish an amp rating, if so I'd like to see it. They can handle way more then 60A. http://www.wsdeans.com/products/plugs/ultra_plug.html

All of Motion's Admiral lipos have "T Connectors" but I dont know if they are genuine Deans. And 6s 4500mah lipo puts out way more then 60-75A, so if Deans were limited to 75A then I'd doubt these lipos would have them. The only one that has a EC5 is the 6s 5000mah, which is probably because it's the only one with 10 awg wire. Deans is probably more suitable for soldering purposes to anything 12 awg and up.

Many times personal preference is the deciding factors on plugs. EC5, XT60, Deans, Traxxas, Castle, etc. etc. Many times plugs are compared on how much resistance they have. They can all handle large amp loads, but they are all made from plastic. And with enough heat, they will ALL melt.
                  Hangar: 90mm F16, 90mm F-15, 80mm Mirage, 90mm F-18, 1400mm P-40, 64mm F-22

RIP: 80mm F-14

Comment

I've been purt' much an XT60 man since going all-electric, and no problems with those except for some hi-amp LiPos I use which have 10ga wire thus are not an easy soldering fit. For those I got & started using some of the new-ish XT90's which are basically the same but larger, & rated for 90A. I've recently started using some Mad Dog LiPos, which come with XT3's, an advantage in that they fit the XT60's perfectly so no replacement necessary, just charge 'em up & plug 'em in.

Deans-wise, I was kinda scared off early on by reports of many counterfeit ones on the market which (reportedly) wouldn't stand up to the demands, and I hadn't the expertise to tell fake from genuine so, that's when I adopted XT60's as my standard. The only ones (Deans) I use are for a 71" Extra 300 (electric!) 3D'r which runs on 7S & 8S LiPos - and trust me that sucker pulls some heavy duty amperage! The former owner gave me with the deal 6 LiPo packs he used, & they're all set up with standard Deans. Most of 'em are blacker than they are red, obviously turned by the heat, & the insulated wire near the conns is stiff-ish but, no problems to date. Whatever else they are, those Deans are <i>tuff</i> - I'll give 'em that!

Comment

Working...
                    X