X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery transportation

I'm looking for some kind of case to transport my batteries to and from the field.

Alpha has an old post showing an ammunition back however the link he provided shows that product is out of stock.

I got an e-mail from HobbyKing this morning and this case caught my eye, the shipping from the international warehouse is pretty steep though.

Hobbyking - the world's No1 Online Hobby Store. We stock a huge selection of RC products from Planes right through to Drones and all accessories. Visit Us Today.

I like this offering form Common Sense RC.

Right now I just carry them in a small cardboard box, I want something nicer than that. I'm curious as to what others are doing.

30 cal ammo box, tons of them on eBay.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Battery SAFTY is huge .
      And safe tranportation is just plain smart !
      A army surplus ammo box is a good idea and they are easy to do d on eBay and surplus stores
      I have used a small CENTURY fire safe for a few years now and it works well . I GOT IT AT Wap mart and most big box stores have them .
      A few strips of velcro on the bottom of the safe and you battery packs stay put , just like in your model .
      The safe measures APROX 18W x 7" TALL and about 12" front to back .

Comment

I use one of those metal cash drawers with a lock like you see at school fundraisers and stuff

Comment

I use an ammo can that I found at the local surplus store. If you can't find one there, you could probably get them at fleet farm or someplace similar. Does the job very nicely: http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/-50-.../0000000085833
          Last edited by F106DeltaDart; Mar 30, 2016, 11:29 PM. Reason: Add link

Comment

I just put them in a plastic cooler...

While not connected the LiPos are generally safe except from impact. So protect them from impact and they'll be fine.

The times a LiPo are most likely to burn are:

1. When something goes wrong during charge.
            2. If you short circuit and cause excess current (worse when closer to full)
            3. When damaged from impact/puncture.
            4. When excess current demand vs cooling in use causes the battery to overheat.

Sitting on a shelf disconnected, they can sit until they self discharge and die from age.
            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Harbor Freight has nice ammo boxes that are heavy plastic...and light weight! Doc

Comment

Right on Doc, I have three of them for less than 20 beans using their coupons along with sale price of $7 ea.
                Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Plastic is not the best choice for Lipo storage / transportation , if there was a problem , the heat, gas and potential flames would melt the Plastic and not contain a high heat / fire very well at all . SAFTY with Lipo pack is what we want , a plastic ammo box is like plastic fruit.

Comment

Flite Test has a nice and large lipo safe bag for 10 dollars.
                    Keep your batteries together & organized in this sleek Flite Test Lipo Storage Bag. Head to FliteTest.com today to purchase more FT merchandise.

Hope this helps.
                    You might be able to fly it, but can you land it?

Comment

On some previous threads, the possibility of an ammo box exploding if not vented, because of the gas build up in a Li Po fire, convinced me to drill vent holes, just in case. I have found metal ammo boxes ideal for transport. I do insulate the connectors while in the metal box with wire nuts for DEANS, or rubber slip ons for EC5s.

Comment

I know... It only takes one time, however, in 12 years I've had one Lipo go bad and just smoke. That was after I shot it three times with my 22 rifle!!! Doc

Comment

This guy has several battery caddys for sale. Made from laser cut 1/4" MDF:

One will even fit inside a .50 cal ammo box.

I have a CAD program and designed something very similar to his big box as I have a bunch of 6S lipos. But I just did this for myself, I'm not selling them.

Pat

Comment

Thanks for the link Pat, your box looks great. If you decide to make an extra one I'd buy it from you.. :)

Would you be interested in sharing your cad file for your design? I could give it to our R&D guys and they could 3D print the parts for me. :)

Comment

The CAD file is only 2D. It's set up for 1/4" thick parts. Forum won't let me upload the file. PM me your email address and I'll send it over.
                              Pat

Comment

I was in Ace Hardware last Summer and couldn't pass this up! A great battery container with a custom paint job? Love it!

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

Now your just teasin us Gman....I would have snagged that too if I had run across it.
                                  Warbird Charlie
                                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Heck Gman, I would use that for a lunch box.....

Kevin
                                    Off with one helluva roar!
                                    AMA 1085465

Comment

That's a great box, Gman!

I have a question that I've never found a good answer for. How should I properly dispose of a bad LiPo?

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
                                        That's a great box, Gman!

I have a question that I've never found a good answer for. How should I properly dispose of a bad LiPo?

Todd
                                        The safest process that I use and is pretty much environ friendly:
                                        A generous hand scoop full of rock salt into a half filled 5 gal pail of water. Stir the salt in so that most of it is dissolved. With the bucket outside and located away from a building, just drop that defunct lipo into the brine and let it soak for about 8 hours. Don't go trying to cut connectors off trying to save them for later usage. When it is dropped in you will see bubbles start to release from the battery and the water will get heated but not to any level to be concerned about. After the soak I measure the battery for a voltage level of zero or near that and then discard it as normal in the garbage and the wasted water gets dumped to the curb which is A LOT LESS salt than what the municipal salt truck here in upstate NY slams our road out side my house when we just get a dusting of snow. Give it try, works for me and never have had any safety issue.
                                        Best regards,
                                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

Working...
                                        X