X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• use 2 3S for a 6S plane?

Ive read some people using 2x 3S lipos for their 6S planes, which I have plenty of 3S lipos..and now just bought 3 planes needing 6S...so,how does one go about doing this exactly?
    www.TSHobbies.com
    Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

You need to make, or buy, a series adapter cable. On the battery side, there will be two connectors, with the positive of the first directly connected to the negative of the second. The negative of the first then goes to the negative of the connector that mates the ESC, and the positive of the second to the positive of that connector. You should only use batteries with the same ratings, both in mAh and 'C' values, and used for about the same number of flights.
    Something like this: http://www.motionrc.com/t-connector-...eries-adapter/

Comment

Don't forget that when you "series" 2 identical batteries to double the cell count, you are still keeping the same mah. IE, series 2 3300mah, 3s and you get the same as one 3300mah, 6s. I have very few 6s EDFs that can fly for very long on 3300mah. 6s prop planes can usually fly with adequate time limit but EDFs are high draw, high power use power plants. Most of my 3s batteries are of the 2200mah type. A 2200mah, 6s won't fly an EDF for very long. Of course, you can "series" 2 of them, then "parallel" 2 sets of those to make a 4400mah, 6s for decent flight time.
      (Only when you "parallel" two identical batteries, do you double the mah, while keeping the same cell count. IE, parallel 2 x 3300mah, 3s and you end up with 6600mah, 3s.)

Comment

I use 2X3S for 6S and 4X3S for 12S often. I also use 3X4S for 12S.

6S packs tend to get hot in the center. Putting 2X3S in series lets you cool the cells better.

I use packs with the 4MM bullets in red plastic housing, Clip the "web" so the leads separate and you can chain the packs without an adapter. Use caution to not link one pack's + right back to its own -
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

ok cool,thankyou for the info..I have 3 of the FMS 1700mm warbirds ,and just dont have 6S ..didnt think about the heat issue either..sounds like its better to use 2x 3S for that reason....now, another question... if Im using say, 3300s, since the ESC is reading only 3300 total from the 2...does that mean I will only get flight time as if Im using only 1 3300 ? or does it draw from both, give you flight time as if they were 6600 ?
          www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

Originally posted by TSHobbies View Post
            ok cool,thankyou for the info..I have 3 of the FMS 1700mm warbirds ,and just dont have 6S ..didnt think about the heat issue either..sounds like its better to use 2x 3S for that reason....now, another question... if Im using say, 3300s, since the ESC is reading only 3300 total from the 2...does that mean I will only get flight time as if Im using only 1 3300 ? or does it draw from both, give you flight time as if they were 6600 ?
            I tried to explain that in my post above. 2 series batteries double the cell count but retains the mah of 1 battery. In your case of 2 x 3300mah, 3s in series gets you 1 x 3300mah, 6s. You will have the flight time of 1 3300mah battery. The Corsair typically take 1 x 5000mah, 6s battery. I can get about 5 - 6 minutes of moderate throttle flying.

Comment

ok,sorry. guess it doesnt really pay off then,since your loosing that 3000 mahs
              www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

You don't lose anything - you double the voltage, thus Watt-hours. If the model requires 6S, you would have no flight time on one 3S battery. Overall, two 3S batteries are often of similar weight as one 6S battery of the same capacity, so your 2x3S 3300mAh battery would fly just about the same as a single 6S 3300mAh battery, for just about 65% the time of a 5000mAh battery; using the above example yields up to about 4 minutes. So, you can fly what you have, and decide later if you really want the extra flight time, at the expense of higher wing loading.

Comment

good point..think I'll do that then and see.
                  www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

Working...
                  X