X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp selection

My charger allows me to select the amp load while charging - I selected 3a because it was approximately the middle selection - should I be putting more thought into this? Is there an appropriate selection that I should be making ?

You should be charging at 1C of the capacity.
    If your charging a 4000mAh at 1C you would set the charger for 4A.
    A 2200mAh would be 2.2A and so on.

;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks - so a 3600mAh could be charged at 3.6A no matter what the "C" rating of the battery is? i.e. 40C discharge capacity doesn't factor in?

Comment

The discharge C rating does not factor in, but there may be a maximum C rating for charging printed on the label. Many newer batteries say that you can charge at 2C, sometimes higher. There are many testers who have been charging at as much as 5C for several years, with no apparent loss of battery life. The 1C recommendation is, by far, the safest charge rate, but is based on very old data. I usually charge at 1.5C to 2C, unless the charger can't provide that much power. If you do choose to charge at higher than 1C, do not leave the area, and keep the battery in sight at all times.

Comment

Charging at xC and what "C" a battery is rated for discharge, are two different things. When charging, "1C" means charging at the same capacity as the battery size in mah. "2C" means twice the mah size, etc., regardless of how many cells it has. Some batteries will say you can charge at some rediculous "C" (like 5C or more). It can be done but the lifespan and efficacy of the battery may suffer. I won't even do "fast charge" on my batteries because I'm not sure how much that stresses them out.

Comment

One other thing to note, MA, and often not considered, is the power limit of the charger. The charger will reduce the current from the amount requested to keep the output at the rated output. For example, if you have a charger rated 50W, and attempt to charge a 5000mAh 3S battery at 1C (5A), it will actually charge at close to 4A, dropping as the Voltage rises.

Comment

Working...
            X