You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newer Admiral Lipos have different dimensions and weights... How come?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer Admiral Lipos have different dimensions and weights... How come?

I just noticed that all the Admiral lipos have had new images uploaded to the site... I also noticed that a lot of packs have become heavier and other lighter and the sizes/dimensions are completely different.

Did you guys get a new supplier or change the specs somehow?

I'm just wondering what caused these changes as I was about to buy another round of 6s packs, but the new ones are drastically different in size and weight for the same mAh.

Thanks!

Alpha10, here is a quote from Tom talking a bit about the new batteries. it's from a thead here about Graphene batteries. Not much in the way of details:

"Knowing all of that, we are working on our own high performance carbon conductor packs with the same conductor. The goal is to have something in a few months. Additionally, we've switched factories and completely changed the formula for our Admiral and Admiral Pro packs so you are going to see a big performance gain with "regular" Admiral packs and Admiral Pro packs. Those will arrive in a few days."

We've requested more details, but didn't get any.

I just got some of the new 4S and 6S packs. They look and feel really good. Haven't had a chance to put any to the test yet due to weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
      Alpha10, here is a quote from Tom talking a bit about the new batteries. it's from a thead here about Graphene batteries. Not much in the way of details:

"Knowing all of that, we are working on our own high performance carbon conductor packs with the same conductor. The goal is to have something in a few months. Additionally, we've switched factories and completely changed the formula for our Admiral and Admiral Pro packs so you are going to see a big performance gain with "regular" Admiral packs and Admiral Pro packs. Those will arrive in a few days."

We've requested more details, but didn't get any.

I just got some of the new 4S and 6S packs. They look and feel really good. Haven't had a chance to put any to the test yet due to weather.
      Interesting... Sounds like good things in the future for the Admiral brand. I'll minimize my stock until the new line gets some reviews and the new Graphene line come to market.

Thanks!

Comment

We wanted to up the performance of our standard Admiral batteries. The new Admirals are a different size and weight because they are a completely new. The performance increase with the new Admiral batteries is noticeable. We were able to accomplish this without changing the price. The dimensions and weights did change a bit. Most a pretty close to the old Admirals with a few exceptions. We were able to take some weight out of the 6S 5000 but it had to be a little longer to accomplish this. I think you will all be very pleased with the performance and quality increase. The new line is better in every way. If you liked the old Admirals, you'll love the new Admirals.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
          We wanted to up the performance of our standard Admiral batteries. The new Admirals are a different size and weight because they are a completely new. The performance increase with the new Admiral batteries is noticeable. We were able to accomplish this without changing the price. The dimensions and weights did change a bit. Most a pretty close to the old Admirals with a few exceptions. We were able to take some weight out of the 6S 5000 but it had to be a little longer to accomplish this. I think you will all be very pleased with the performance and quality increase. The new line is better in every way. If you liked the old Admirals, you'll love the new Admirals.
          Great news... I'm excited to put them to the test! Thanks!

Comment

I love these new packs, I have a set of the 4S 4000mAh I use in my Tigercat and since they are tighter wrapped they fit better than the earlier Admirals and the wires and terminals look to be better quality as well. Charges faster than the earlier ones I'll try and do some flight time comparisons between the old and new Admirals as well as the 4S 4000mAh ChinaHobbyLine packs.
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Nice! Good to hear!

Hopefully they come with decent length balance leads now too... That was always a pet peeve of mine with the old ones... Too short (Under 2") most of the time.

Comment

Balance leads are an easy change. If you guys don't like the balance lead length, let us know. I find it difficult to reach a good balance (no pun intended) between ease of charging and too much unneeded balance lead wire taking space in the battery compartment of the plane. BTW, you'll notice we changed the label design slightly. We wanted to do something to help people differentiate between the old and new Admiral packs.

Comment

I noticed the new label right away, looks nice. I'd like a little longer balance lead, I find the leads on my current Admiral batteries to be a tad too short at times, another 1/2" - 1" would be great.

Comment

I'm all for the minimum length on main and balance lead length to reduce weight and minimize having to stuff wires as long as there is enough to work with.

Comment

Balance leads are an easy change. If you guys don't like the balance lead length, let us know. I find it difficult to reach a good balance (no pun intended) between ease of charging and too much unneeded balance lead wire taking space in the battery compartment of the plane. BTW, you'll notice we changed the label design slightly. We wanted to do something to help people differentiate between the old and new Admiral packs.
                      Yes. Thankfully, the balance leads don't weigh much at all... Especially when you're talking about adding another inch or so.

I think a 3" balance lead length is ideal and not too long or short. Most of us parallel charge and this would really help us use our parallel boards more easily IMHO.

This would be great if the Admiral line could consistently accommodate this particular feature.

I've also gotta note how much I/WE appreciate the factory balance lead protector clips that you guys send with the lipos. That's a VERY nice factory feature and it's greatly appreciated. :)

Comment

I'm all for adding another inch in length to say 3" total for the balance lead, helps in tucking the balance connector out of the way as well as hooking to the charger and the extra inch in wire ain't squat in the realm of weight.
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                          I'm all for adding another inch in length to say 3" total for the balance lead, helps in tucking the balance connector out of the way as well as hooking to the charger and the extra inch in wire ain't squat in the realm of weight.
                          My thoughts exactly. :)

Comment

Or, you could just add a balance extension cable to your charger or battery.

Comment

Originally posted by WintrSol View Post
                              Where can I buy these?

Comment

Originally posted by WintrSol View Post
                                I'd rather not have to buy 10 of those when a manufacturer can make a simple adjustment to their specs and make everything easier for us para-chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

Where can I buy these?
                                  HobbyKing sells a variety, for charging in parallel, which can be used with a single battery, of course; example: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/jst-xh-p...-2xjst-xh.html
                                  Or, a simple extension: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/jst-xh-4...10pcs-bag.html
                                  There are other sellers; I found ones for single battery extension at my LHS.

Comment

We have balance wire extensions for use when charging which can be found here if needed. https://www.motionrc.com/collections...xtension-cable

Comment

We have balance wire extensions for use when charging which can be found here if needed. https://www.motionrc.com/collections...xtension-cable
                                      I've seen them. It's just a burden and a shame when manufacturers release lipos with short balance leads that forces us to buy them.

My HRBs all come with at least 3" leads and are right around half the price. It'd just be nice to see a higher end line like the Admirals do the same.

Comment

I thought you did, but couldn't find them. Now I know that it is there, I kept searching, and found them under chargers. Of course, those won't fit a 4S battery very well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X