You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newer Admiral Lipos have different dimensions and weights... How come?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What we have is an extension for the balance board. The battery plugs into the balance board, and extension plugs into the charger. The entire collection is here: https://www.motionrc.com/collections/balance-boards

Comment

Im for another inch on the wires. I feel im putting undo stress on the leads when hooking up my batteries. Alpha i think it would greatly benefit and satisfy the customer's with a longer balance leed.
      Dewey l

Comment

Originally posted by Dewey H Lee View Post
        Im for another inch on the wires. I feel im putting undo stress on the leads when hooking up my batteries. Alpha i think it would greatly benefit and satisfy the customer's with a longer balance leed.
        +1 Especially when you take in account the length you lose when using proper balance lead protectors as well.

This would be a great feature for the Admirals to have IMHO.

Comment

Seeing that this thread has had almost 150 views and a majority of the comments have been on balance lead length so here is what I see the favorable majority at on this subject.
          It is a 4(Alpha10, DK, OV, Dewey) yes to 1(Beeg) no in favor of extending the balance lead length to a nominal 3 inches.
          I would say that this is probably indicative of what results you would see if a poll was actually conducted.
          I would ask Tom to just make it so without going thru a whole bunch of rigamarole with debates in making this product even better. ;)
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
            Seeing that this thread had had almost 150 views and a majority of the comments have been on balance lead length so here is what I see the favorable majority at on this subject.
            It is a 4(Alpha10, DK, OV, Dewey) yes to 1(Beeg) no in favor of extending the balance lead length to a nominal 3 inches.
            I would say that this is probably indicative of what results you would see if a poll was actually conducted.
            I would ask Tom to just make it so without going thru a whole bunch of rigamarole with debates in making this product even better. ;)
            I think a poll would be a great and informative idea.

Comment

Another thought is that Motion could send an e-mail survey to all customers that have purchased Admiral batteries in the last year, something like Survey Monkey could be used.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                Another thought is that Motion could send an e-mail survey to all customers that have purchased Admiral batteries in the last year, something like Survey Monkey could be used.
                AND a coupon code for loyal Admiral lipo customers to try out the new line would be nice. ; )

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
                  We wanted to up the performance of our standard Admiral batteries. The new Admirals are a different size and weight because they are a completely new. The performance increase with the new Admiral batteries is noticeable. We were able to accomplish this without changing the price. The dimensions and weights did change a bit. Most a pretty close to the old Admirals with a few exceptions. We were able to take some weight out of the 6S 5000 but it had to be a little longer to accomplish this. I think you will all be very pleased with the performance and quality increase. The new line is better in every way. If you liked the old Admirals, you'll love the new Admirals.
                  So I was pumped to try my new 6s 5000 50c Admiral pack to compare it to my two year old previous Admirals this weekend...

After being told these were built to be even better AND even lighter by about 30g I was very excited to see the improvement in power.

Unfortunately, it just wasn't there :(

Not to mention that these new packs are SUPER LONG and far more difficult to move around for cg adjustments as the length limits how far you can shift them.

I also have a $65 HRB 6s 5000 50c pack that I've had for a year and while the new Admiral had a touch of an edge over my two-year old Admirals, it performed exactly the same as my HRB for half the price. :(

I wanted to believe the new line was improved as I've bought and supported Admiral for over two years and have easily spent over $1,200 on their packs, but this new line just didn't thrill.

The build quality DOES look very nice and they're very well put together, but it all comes down to punch and performance in the end and it was just "Ok".

I'm going to run a few more cycles and see if they hopefully improve, but my initial impressions have left me a little bummed.

Do these new packs need to be "Broken in?" I've never had to do that with the old Admirals... Just curious.

Comment

Nuts. I was going to order more 4000 pros for the A-10. But had change of heart and ordered two 5000 late last night...
                    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Originally posted by Lon View Post
                      Nuts. I was going to order more 4000 pros for the A-10. But had change of heart and ordered two 5000 late last night...
                      Yeah, I've been a long time Admiral promoter and supporter, but so far these just aren't much better than the HRBs... They're almost twice the price... And the extreme length makes them a bit of a PITA to use IMHO.

If they don't magically transform and start performing in the next 5 cycles I might have to kindly ask to return it and make a change. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post
                        Do these new packs need to be "Broken in?" I've never had to do that with the old Admirals... Just curious.
                        The older (~2yo) Admirals I have did break in; I measured the IR when I first got them, then after about 4 or 5 flights, the the IR dropped about 30%. Maybe not enough to make a big difference in performance, but enough that they aren't as warm, now, as after the first flights.

I think the most you can notice is at the end of a timed flight, when you know you should only have about 20% charge left - on a landing approach, punch it hard and go around, and compare how much thrust you get. Using the T. Graphene pack, there was a visible increase in my model over an otherwise equivalent battery. The rest of the flight seemed about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by WintrSol View Post
                          The older (~2yo) Admirals I have did break in; I measured the IR when I first got them, then after about 4 or 5 flights, the the IR dropped about 30%. Maybe not enough to make a big difference in performance, but enough that they aren't as warm, now, as after the first flights.

I think the most you can notice is at the end of a timed flight, when you know you should only have about 20% charge left - on a landing approach, punch it hard and go around, and compare how much thrust you get. Using the T. Graphene pack, there was a visible increase in my model over an otherwise equivalent battery. The rest of the flight seemed about the same.
                          Good note, will do! Yes, I know the IR does improve once broken in, but as you said... That doesn't really translate into better power delivery in flight.

I'm hoping things improve, but I'd be surprised if they do as the old Admirals were consistent from day 1.

Comment

Hi Alpha10, I'm not sure what is happening with you pack but I'm 100% sure these are a big improvement from the old packs. I've found that most batteries do need about 10 cycles to be broken in. This was true of the old Admirals as well.

Comment

Two questions that are still hangin out there for me on this thread.............
                              A - are we gonna get the extra length to 3 inches on the balance lead? No interest in buying more paraphernalia in the way of lead extenders mentioned earlier. ;)
                              TOM - Look forward to you saying " we'll get it done" :)
                              B - What is this "Break In" referring to on these LiPo's ?? :Confused::Thinking:
                              When I think of a break-in, there is a specific protocol of disciplines to be followed say for example: racing motor RPM ranges for the first set number of hours.
                              My electrical engineering background can not figure any such protocol other than from my days of testing military computers to "shake n bake" (vibe/thermal cycles) standards.
                              ANYONE
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

:Confused::Confused::Confused:
                                Got me scratching my head as well.
                                I usually charges 'em up and flies 'em down.
                                That's the way we break things in in Wyoming, be it batteries or Broncs!!

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

Break in, in this case, just means that the batteries get a reduction in IR with the first 5-10 normal uses. So, it's kind of like the first 500 miles of a motorcycle engine, to get the parts 'familiar' with each other. If you use the batteries normally, with no abuse, then they improve a bit, and do provide a small amount of extra performance.

Comment

Break in, in this case, just means that the batteries get a reduction in IR with the first 5-10 normal uses. So, it's kind of like the first 500 miles of a motorcycle engine, to get the parts 'familiar' with each other. If you use the batteries normally, with no abuse, then they improve a bit, and do provide a small amount of extra performance.
                                    Thanx WintrSol.............I sorta suspected that and is exactly how I treat my batts from day one - no abuse cause they aren't cheap. :Whew:
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

Hi Alpha10, I'm not sure what is happening with you pack but I'm 100% sure these are a big improvement from the old packs. I've found that most batteries do need about 10 cycles to be broken in. This was true of the old Admirals as well.
                                      We'll see... I've never had to do that with the old Admirals, but I'm happy to say that after about 4 flights now, the packs are starting to wake up so you may be right! :)

Comment

exactly. just use as normal and you will notice better performance after about 10 flights.

I've talked to the manufacturer about 3" charge lead lengths I do want to mention the lead times are long. When I place an order, it is about 10 weeks before it is completed and then an additional 5 weeks until we receive it. Since the lead time is about 4 months, a production change today will not be seen for 4-6 months. I wish it was instant but the lead times are incredibly long.

Comment

exactly. just use as normal and you will notice better performance after about 10 flights.

I've talked to the manufacturer about 3" charge lead lengths I do want to mention the lead times are long. When I place an order, it is about 10 weeks before it is completed and then an additional 5 weeks until we receive it. Since the lead time is about 4 months, a production change today will not be seen for 4-6 months. I wish it was instant but the lead times are incredibly long.
                                          Glad to hear... So will the leads be lengthened and this be implemented in the future? I think it'd be a great move.

Comment

Working...
                                          X