X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Solid State Battery Technology

Have ya'll seen this? Hopefully they will come to fruition sooner than later.

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/g...ery-technology

"...is a low-cost all-solid-state battery that is noncombustible and has a long cycle life (battery life) with a high volumetric energy density and fast rates of charge and discharge."

"...The researchers demonstrated that their new battery cells have at least three times as much energy density as today’s lithium-ion batteries."

"...In experiments, the researchers’ cells have demonstrated more than 1,200 cycles with low cell resistance."

Very cool tech. I hope it comes to market quickly.

Comment

Very cool.... Think of the possibilities for such.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
        Very cool tech. I hope it comes to market quickly.
        What he said ! ! ! :Cool:
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Talk about game changing for RC huh (among many other applications). That would be amazing, but I'd wonder what the price point would come in at.

Comment

Cool technology hopefully the materials will be liter then what we have now Graphene coming to mind , is heavier then the standard lipos we have now

Comment

Ready for the next giant leap forward in battery tech. Not much more they can do with lithium. Bring it !
              Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
              Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
              I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Just saw this on the news today.

http://www.oann.com/toyota-set-to-se...in-2022-paper/

"Toyota Motor Corp is working on an electric car powered by a new type of battery that significantly increases driving range and reduces charging time, aiming to begin sales in 2022, the Chunichi Shimbun daily reported on Tuesday."

“There’s a pretty long distance between the lab bench and manufacturing,” said CLSA auto analyst Christopher Richter. “2022 is ages away, and a lot can change in the meantime.” How quickly the new EVs will catch on would also depend largely on battery costs."

"Other automakers such as BMW are also working on developing all-solid-state batteries, eyeing mass production in the next 10 years.

Solid-state batteries use solid electrolytes rather than liquid ones, making them safer than lithium-ion batteries currently on the market."

Looks like the new "Solid State" battery tech is marching forward and will at least be in cars in the next 5 years. We can only hope this new battery tech will reach us sooner! This is EXCITING!

Comment

Looks like the "phone" companies are driving hard as well. We may get new batteries even sooner!

https://1reddrop.com/2017/07/06/sams...-battery-2019/

Comment

Whichever company brings these new batteries to RC market first is going to make a killing the first few years. Hopefully they won't be outrageously expensive the first few years.

Comment

There are several contenders for the "next" technology, and have been for some time. Earlier this year, the inventor of Li-Ion made a splash announcing a new technology that he claimed would obsolete his invention:

John Goodenough and his team have developed the first all-solid-state battery cells that could lead to safer, faster-charging, longer-lasting rechargeable batteries.  

However, it is good to keep in mind - since battery "breakthroughs" have been making news for years, why do we still not have fundamentally different batteries? Below is a good article summarizing the problem, IMHO. Bringing a new technology to cost-effective production is extremely capital intensive, and the players with the most capital to invest have the least interest in disrupting the status quo.

So, I have learned to ignore "battery breakthrough" stories over the last decade. When a disruptive technology shows up at retailers, I will believe it. Until then....I'm going to treat such news stories as technically interesting, but not cause for much hope. It's hard to get excited after the 100th time somebody announces a breakthrough.

Comment

Working...
                      X