X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel Charging

With the pending delivery of my A-10 I've been thinking of ways to quickly charge my 6S 5000's.

I currently use the Dynamite Prophet Sport Quad 4 X 100W AC/DC Charger and have been happy with it for the last year and a half. I can balance charge 4 6S 5000's in about an hour or so.

This is a link to it, I'm surprised Motion doesn't carry it as it has been a really good charger for me. http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...rodID=DYNC2050

I'd like to charge faster and it seems that all of the higher powered chargers are single or dual port so if I bought one of those I'd like to look at parallel charging.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube talking about parallel charging. One thing I still don't understand is if one battery gets charged before the others do what happens?

1. Does charging stop on all batteries when one becomes fully charged?

2. Do the batteries that get a full charged somehow stop charging and the remaining batteries continue to charge?

I think this is why I've avoided it is because I don't understand how it works.

Hi DK,
    I just recently pointed to a good resource for understanding parallel charging on this post. ;)

Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that! Reading it now.

Comment

As noted in the linked article, charger power is an issue. Each of your 6S 5Ah batteries require a 126W charger to fully charge at the 1C rate, so 4 would require a charger capable of over 504W. Charging in balance mode also raises issues, as the amount of current the balance portion of the charger can handle can significantly extend the balance portion of the charge cycle. Some things to consider when comparing chargers.

Comment

How did you calculate that 126W is needed to charge my 6S 5Ah batteries at 1C? I'd like to better understand how all of this works. :Thinking:

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
            How did you calculate that 126W is needed to charge my 6S 5Ah batteries at 1C? I'd like to better understand how all of this works. :Thinking:
            As a standard LiPO battery approaches full charge, the Voltage reaches 4.2V per cell; 4.2V * 6 = 25.2V. A 1C charge rate is merely the Amperes in Ah; your batteries are 5000mAh, or 5Ah, so 1C (one hour charge rate) is 5A. Watts required = V*A, or 25.2 * 5 = 126W. These numbers shift a bit with other types, e.g.: LiFe is at full charge at 3.6V, and HV LiPO at ~4.35V. The power equations don't change, just the numbers.

If you set your existing charger to 5A, it will automatically reduce it to stay under its Wattage rating, to about 4A; that lower current increases the charge time.

Comment

Working...
            X