Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery question

Hello all
    can you use a 1300 3s 20c Lipo battery on a plane that came with a 1300 2s 7.4 battery.
    Will I have to do any changes or modifications?

Originally posted by Cclark10 View Post
    Hello all
    can you use a 1300 3s 20c Lipo battery on a plane that came with a 1300 2s 7.4 battery.
    Will I have to do any changes or modifications?
    Hello Clark,
    The simple answer is NO.
    It all depends on what the motor and ESC ratings are as well as what size prop.
    Unless you have some fundamental understanding of DC electrical practices as well as a power meter to validate your changes then I suggest strongly that you just leave well enough alone.
    Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks OV10

Comment

Just to give you an idea why, theory says the motor should try to turn as much faster as the change in Voltage, or 1.5 times faster, and the power required to turn a prop that much faster is the increase in rpm cubed, or nearly 3.4 times the power; in practice, it is closer to the increase in Voltage squared, so the increase in power is about 2.25 times. That is a lot more power than the system is designed for, and will likely burn out the motor controller (ESC), and possibly take the motor with it. Any change to the power system - battery Voltage, prop size - should be tested with a Watt meter, so you know you are not going to set the model on fire in the air,

Comment

The battery that came with it does not matter, thats irrelevant.

What are the ESC specs, thats what you need to know. Go online and it should tell you how many batteries or cell count it will take.

Good ESCs will go on limp mode and not work at all because of over-voltage.

Its all about temperature, you can check all the voltage metering you want and if that ESC is cooking up, its toast.

Brushless should not go above 200F, a good ESC will have temp cut off. I bought one of those pistol grip yellow temp guns, and you can monitor if its cooking up or not.

Comment

I think that's no matter, don't need do any change.

Comment

Are EC3 and IC3 battery connectors compatable?

Comment

Originally posted by William E. Burrows Jr. View Post
                Are EC3 and IC3 battery connectors compatable?
                Yes.

Comment

I just got the reissued T-28 Trojan 1.1m BNF with SS. at
                  Horizon Hobby. I am not trilled with the way you install the battery.
                  You have to just push it forward into the foam opening as far as you can to make clearance for the hatch to snap in place.
                  I have no control using the battery to set my CG. They also failed to provide a battery strap.
                  Please advise me on a installing a strap or any other ideas.
                  Thank You,
                  William E. Burrows Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by William E. Burrows Jr. View Post
                    I just got the reissued T-28 Trojan 1.1m BNF with SS. at
                    Horizon Hobby. I am not trilled with the way you install the battery.
                    You have to just push it forward into the foam opening as far as you can to make clearance for the hatch to snap in place.
                    I have no control using the battery to set my CG. They also failed to provide a battery strap.
                    Please advise me on a installing a strap or any other ideas.
                    Thank You,
                    William E. Burrows Jr.
                    On a plane like this where the battery is located in a confined area, you'll need to start using velcro. Install a strip of velcro (hook side) in the compartment. Don't make it too big or wide and you may have to help it stick with some glue (FoamTac works). Wait till it cures so it's stuck on real good. Install some velcro (loop side) onto each battery you plane to use, again not too big. You just need enough to hold it in place but not so much that it's hard to remove the battery. Once you find out where the battery needs to go for it to balance, use a Sharpie to make a mark for where the battery end lines up.
                    Another option is to get some foam pads (1/2" thick) so you can wrap the battery all the way around and then you can compress the foam and shove the battery into the compartment. Again, make a mark where it goes so you know where to place it the next time.

Comment

Working...
                    X