X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Admiral batteries

Is it just me, or do the new Admiral batteries give less flight time and fail to hold a charge as well as Admirals used to? Anyone else notice this? Doc

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
    Is it just me, or do the new Admiral batteries give less flight time and fail to hold a charge as well as Admirals used to? Anyone else notice this? Doc
    Could be just you cause I think just the opposite but who am I being just one of a dissenting opinion. ;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

But seriously... I can fly the old 2200's for 5 minutes and they will be at storage charge. 5 minutes on the new Admirals bring them down below storage charge. Doc

Comment

I bought several Admiral 4S 4000mAh batteries and one 4S 3000mAh and I don't have any issues so far. I just set my transmitter timer to 5 minutes. I also put a small low voltage monitor that beeps when one or more cells goes below 3.7 volts on the balance lead with my propeller planes I can hear the alarm if it goes off. For EDF RC airplanes I use the transmitter timer only since I cannot hear it over the EDF.

Tony

Comment

Did you cycle the lipo batteries before first use?

Comment

I dumb here Crank, what do you mean cycle?
            Still Learning:D

Comment

On all new batteries I connect them to a digital charger and set them to C>D, and usually 2 to 3 depending how much I paid for them. This helps them condition before putting them in use.

This is a hot debate topic, some dont cycle them, others do. All I can say til this day all deliver and I use them from high torque airsoft rifles, to 1/8th scale truggies pushing 70 plus mph.
              Or at least take it easy on the first few flights, and balance charge them. Who knows, he may have a bad batch of lipos. I have bought grade B batteries and work well from Hobby King, no puffiness, no overheating following the same procedure above.

**I have used those low voltage alarms buzzers, and they dont seem to be consistent on voltage readings. And sometimes when the motor draws too much power it will briefly set off the alarm.

Comment

After a few cycles they are fine. Doc

Comment

I concur. My T-45 was weak on three new Admiral 6s 5000's till I cycled them 4 times. That seemed to be the magic number. Now they have lots of power.
                  Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

We noticed this with the old Admiral batteries too. You do need a few cycles to unlock the full potential. You should notice better overall performance with the new vs the old.

Comment

Tom...Give us specifics on cycling a new battery. Thanks, Doc

Comment

Tom...Give us specifics on cycling a new battery. Thanks, Doc
                        Charge-Fly-Charge-Fly-Charge-Fly:Cool:
                        TiredIron Aviation
                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Sounds like fun to me! Doc

Comment

Doc.........TI said it. No special steps or other rigamaroll. A couple three/four charge-n-fly at a reasonable level of throttle management ;) That means no toes stuck in the 4 barrels LOL
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Yep, noticed that too with the 6 s just kept getting better and better flight times with the Avanti and the Pitts for that matter.

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Yup. It works! Doc

Comment

C'mmon any entry level digital charger, set it at C>D, for two to three cycles and done. I dont think its a wise idea in flight in case battery fails. No nees to stress them unnecessarily.

But they are not my batteries... good luck

Comment

Yesterday while flying at our club, I ran my Admiral 6S 5000 down to 3v per cell (a couple cells were slightly below 3v). After initially blaming the battery, I watched the video. Turns out I just used too much throttle for too long. Throw in a go-around due to wind and a partially deployed speed brake, and total flight time was right at 4 mins. Basically pilot error. I hit LVC immediately after landing.

Took the battery home, left it out overnight. This morning it showed all cells at 3.5v. I charged it and everything came up quickly and evenly. Took it out today and did a full 3 minute flight in the A-4. Landed at 43% or 3.84v/cell..all of them. Amazing.

Now I know these are damn good batteries!

As a side note, the partially deployed speed brake was due to a weak speed brake servo. I am placarding the speed brakes INOP for the remainder of the T-45's days. I have already replaced one servo and it was a royal PIT arse. Don't really need them anyway.
                                    Flew the T-45 again today with no ill effects. It's a wonderful flier.
                                    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Two questions, seaviper. Do you know what the LVC cut-off Voltage is? And, can it be adjusted?
                                      I find, with my 3D SaberX, that when flying around 8C in nominal cruise (I have TM on my battery), that I reach ~20% battery left at a cell voltage of ~3.5V. If you can raise the LVC setting in your ESC, that would be great.
                                      If I used a weaker battery, the cell Voltage would be lower, under the same conditions, so I, too, really like the performance of the Admiral batteries.

Comment

Working...
                                      X