Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC Camera

Hello.
    I've got a Flyzone Calypso that I'm flying and having a great time with. I'd like to mount a video camera and take some aerial shots. Looking for a suggestion for a camera that won't break the bank and will fit on my Calypso. Thanks

Re: RC Camera

Try Hobby King. I have one that works that I use and you can add a card reader for storage.

Comment

I use a Mobius Action Cam and love it. The video and still image quality is close to GoPro, but the camera costs just $70. It is the size of a box of Tictac mints and weighs 40 grams. There are a couple of informative threads on it over at RC Groups.

This was shot at sunset, the camera is taped to the tail of an FMS Cessna 182
      https://vimeo.com/70380499

This was shot with the camera taped to the battery hatch of my Flyzone Tidewater
      https://vimeo.com/77460949

It's not waterproof or even weather resistant, and I have dunked it a time or two, just let it air dry and it works fine.

Jim

Comment

Agree, the Mobius ActionCam is pretty nice, damn near comparable to a GoPro for a fraction of the weight (and price!). I just got one last week and love it. If you want something even more light weight look up the 808 #16 on ebay/etc... predecessor to the Mobius, but only like 17g vs 40'ish on the Mobius. Doesn't have all the features of the Mobius but it sure looks nice. I ordered one for lighter craft, just waiting for it in the mail. If it's anything like the Mobius you can't go wrong.

Comment

RE: RC Camera

Greetings Guys,

I appreciate your input on the Mobius camera.

To be honest, I (my wife) bought a Go-Pro Hero 3 and I'm too paranoid to use it on a plane (if it were to fall off and not be found I have to relocate to a distant continent).
          Everything has been limited to a helmet cam format.
          This is tough because due to the extreme fisheye nature of the Go-Pro lens, everything in the center appears so distant it's almost non-visible during playback.

The only in-air video I've done thus far,*has been with the keychain type video cameras which are OK in the begining because your so excited you'll accept any success but, they are frequently hit or miss.

I am now anxious to try the Mobius as my in-air video camera.

Thanks again,

Clear Skies

Bill L.
          in Okla.

Comment

Hey Rktr I also tried the cheap Keychain type but then I bought the Mobius and WOW what a difference ..... They also have free software up dates for them . To me it's the only way to go .
            The F9F rebuilt was shot with it velcroed to my hat .
            It has a much sharper image and sound quality

Bryan
            But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Hello FlightChief,
              Just throwing another option into your request for suggestions without breaking the bank. This Dice camera is half the price of a Mobius. It is a 1.25 inch cube sized package and the video is really good. I would attach one of my flight videos that I took from my Bronco but the 6 min videos are 1gig in size...too large for attaching. Here's a possible place to buy - http://www.nitroplanes.com/86p-988-dice-minicam.html (ps: NP is not one of my favorite places to deal with but sometimes ya can get good stuff)
              Best Regards,
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD A1 Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51 Marie, F4U Olathe, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51 Iron Ass; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; Starmax L-4 Grasshopper; ASM A-26 Invader; ESM F7F-3
              RIP A-10; FIRE LOSS OV-10, F7F, P-38, P-47, JU-52, PBJ-1(B-25), P-40E, Spitfire, Dauntless, AN-2; O-2, P-40D, T-28, PBY

Comment

Greetings H64,

On your Mobius, did you go with the standard or the one with the wide angle lens??

Can you re-link the F9F video where you used the Morbius? I'd like to take another look at it.

Thanks

Bill L.
                in Okla.

Comment

http://vimeo.com/115490189*

F9F rebuilt ........... shot with the Mobius camera on my hat

Another great thing I really like about it , they make a good bit of mounting hardware it .

Bryan
                  But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings H64,

Thanks, I appreciate the re-link.

That looks like the non-wide angle version.
                    Is that right?

Bill L.
                    in Okla.

Comment

Yea the easy way to differ between the two is mine has a flush lens . The wide has a extended lens , not by much but you can see the. Difference.

Bryan*
                      But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie64
                        Yea the easy way to differ between the two is mine has a flush lens . The wide has a extended lens , not by much but you can see the. Difference.

Bryan*
                        I would go with the Mobius, i have one and i have a Cheap Hobby King one, least to say i dont use the HobbyKing one at all now

Comment

I personally have had a lot of luck using the 808 keychain cam, for shooting in flight video they work great are super light and mount anywhere using sticky back Velcro.

This is my P-47 in Escondido, CA.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNXLPmc9fuA

This is my FMS Skytrainer 182 in Hurricane, UT.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVv48ht4DdU

Both videos shot using the 808 keychain cam
                          Flight Risk (Sean)
                          AMA # 986105

Comment

Nice videos "wvrailfan".

Comment

amazon is best for camras.

Comment

I also have the Calypso and simply use a dice cam. I put small Velcro pieces in several spots and attach the dice cam and you're good to go. So small it doesn't affect the plane at all. Videos are not to bad either.
                                Addicted to planes!

Comment

I just won this camera for $6.50 usd on ebay. I will be mounting it to my plane with velcro like I did with my 808 cam until it exploded in a crash.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OII56sQPaDA
                                  Flight Risk (Sean)
                                  AMA # 986105

Comment

I'll give my +1 to the Mobius action camera... it's pretty inexpensive, has a lot of programmable features including orientation, very lightweight and has good quality video & audio.

I would say most aircraft 1000mm and up won't be affected by it, my 1400mm Corsair doesn't even know it's there. Just be aware of CG, and if you do a wing mount be sure to either counter-weight or be prepared with your ailerons.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

i am new to rc world and will be using a mobs camera. how does one set it up to record remotely off transmitter???

Comment

Hey there jmullen2004, welcome to Hobbysquawk. I have a Mobius and I love it. I've never used with with a remote trigger to toggle video remotely. There is a time lapse function available on startup, is that a feature you could use? Or are you looking to start and stop actual video recording?

Comment

Working...
                                        X