Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEC this BEC that rx question

Good day everyone,

Got a quick question about BECs, the more I read about it, the more confused I get.

Isnt it the ESC purpose to regulate power to electronics?

How do I know if my ESC will not toast any other components?

I have used for years escs on rc cars (not nitro of course) and never had to install a bec. Never had to on any of the large scales, which use large servos, but the receiver is basically the same as other platforms.

BEC= Battery Eliminator Circuit.

Early ESCs did not have any means of providing power to the RX, they just controlled the motor.

Someone got the bright idea of tapping into the power of the battery used to power the motor (these were RC cars that had it first) to also power the RX. At first they used a simple linear (resistor based) regulator.

Next someone started incorporating the regulator into the ESC and they called it the BEC. (appx 1980 to 1985)

For a while. Futaba made Receivers with the BEC built in for RC cars. this was before the BEC was commonly part of the ESC.

Then they began using "switching" regulators in the stand alone BEC's and the ones incorporated into the ESCs. These are much more efficient and can provide more power to the RX and servos.

Many ESCs still do not have a BEC built in. In many quadcopters you get a set of 4 ESCs with only one having the BEC. High voltage ESCs (rated for more than 4S LiPO)almost never had BEC circuits built in until recently. Its still more common for 6S and above rated ESCs to not have the BEC built in.

I normally will use a separate RX battery for anything using 6S or more even if there's a BEC built into the ESC.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Understood, and thank you for the explanation. I have read online lots of stuff about the topic, but you covered areaa that had not been mentioned on any sites so far.

It caught my attention because have read on brushless glider and parkflyer threads about using BEC. And to me it does not add up cause for years I have used the power from the lipo up to 5S and never had the need for a receiver pack.

Possibly more hype than it should be, and once its been installed nobody wants to admit its useless.

Every so often I only use 6S, and for now, on a 1/8tg rc truggy, the esc is rated at 185A. I got a few rx bats floating around which I can use to be safe and protect the rx. Its a rc car, not that I will have dead sticks anytime soon.

Comment

Found a informative link, posted for reference;

https://www.dimensionengineering.com...ts/ParkBEC.pdf

Comment

Working...
        X