Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have several friends flying the AL37 with a gyro and they all think it is worth while. I can even tell the difference whether it is active and inactive just by watching it. Have fun with the AL37!
    Instagram: @tcat.rc.creations

Comment

• You don't have to have a 2-way switch to turn a gyro ON/OFF. A 3-way switch will do - you just don't stop in the middle position. If you do, nothing happens. In a Spektrum TX, the gyro is turned ON/OFF by seeing -100 and +100. The middle position on a 3-way switch is just "0". For ON/OFF, "0" doesn't mean anything to a HobbyEagle.
      Today's gyros don't really care where they are located on a plane. I have planes where the already installed gyro is located almost in the nose cone. They don't even have to be installed dead center of the longitudinal mid-line nor do they need to be dead center of the cross section of the fuselage. It can be in the belly of the plane, on the floor or even just under the ceiling.
      My AL37 has the A3-L and it's not at the CG point. It stabilizes the plane to eliminate that wing rock in cross winds.

Comment

• Question: Has anyone experienced a HobbyEagle A3L V2 losing the retained settings from programming after powering down/removing the battery after each flight?

I have one I purchased from MRC that does this. Customer Service sent me a replacement that does the exact same thing. I have two others that work fine in other aircraft. This one is installed in a FW F-22.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mizer67 View Post
          Question: Has anyone experienced a HobbyEagle A3L V2 losing the retained settings from programming after powering down/removing the battery after each flight?

I have one I purchased from MRC that does this. Customer Service sent me a replacement that does the exact same thing. I have two others that work fine in other aircraft. This one is installed in a FW F-22.
          No. None of my A3-L's have lost its memory between power downs. What do you have the "mode" and master gain plugged into?

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
            No. None of my A3-L's have lost its memory between power downs. What do you have the "mode" and master gain plugged into?
            Nothing except the capacitor as I don't have a spare slot on the receiver. I don't use them.

I plugged the capacitor it comes with into the mode slot. I have it there in another plane and it didn't cause the same issue, but I'll try removing it and see if that makes any difference.

Update: Looks like removing the capacitor that comes with the V2 from either the Mode slot or Sbus/Gain slot resolves the issue. Immediately after plugging it into either slot during the next power down/up, the issue returns. The instructions say: "You just need to plug it (the capacitor) into any open slot on the receiver or gyro". That appears to be erroneous, at least in this singular case with the F-22.

I'll have to see if I can Y it into the receiver if I want to keep it...which I would like, to buffer any current issues.

Comment

• Plug the capacitor into the bind port.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                Plug the capacitor into the bind port.
                Unfortunately I cannot.

The F-22 has the separate BEC, which plugs into the only open spot on the six channel receiver, the bind port. The throttle goes into slot 1, then all the control surfaces, gear and flaps take up the rest.

I've rarely wanted for more than six channels, but in this case, I do.

Comment

• Then "Y" it to any port, even the bind port. Make sure polarity is correct.

Comment

• Y-ed it into the flaps port. Tested and functioning.

Didn't want to Y into anything critical, so power, throttle and most control surfaces were out. That left me gear and flaps. Figured I could do without flaps, but lose the gear I'd be scraping foam.

Comment

• Well, spoke too soon. Still losing any retained settings on the gyro.

Question for anyone using one - I have the F-22 setup with flaps in the transmitter. Does anyone using this gyro with the F-22 and Spektrum have it set up differently?

Maybe something is at play with the transmitter vs. the gyro? The gyro works in another, simpler plane, so it's not the hardware - has something to do with the F-22 or the transmitter settings.

I tried e-mailing the mfg. with no response. I can't find anything like this on the internet.

Comment

• What settings are being influenced in the gyro? What is not working as they should? I don't have an F-22 but if it's like most of today's Freewing planes, there is a blue control box that links many of the servos into a common circuit board. When you introduce a gyro, I think it's wise the remove the gyro controlled surfaces from the blue box. IE, ailerons, elevator, rudder. These should by-pass the blue box and be hooked directly to the gyro, which is inline with the RX. Generally, flaps are independent of the other control surfaces, however, when everything goes through these blue boxes, there are common grounds and common positives. I've always worried about current leaching from on circuit to another. Then you've got the signal paths, which could also be affected by leaching.
                        Have you removed the critical control surfaces from the blue box when introducing a gyro?

Comment

Working...
                        X