X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric motor on P-40 is loose

I have a FMS P-40 800mm. The motor when is fasten tightly to P-40 it moves up and down. I'm not sure it is suppose to do that. Everything about the motors connection to the plane appears to be correct with no defects. However I'm leary of flying the plane with this situation. All my other planes the motor is rock solid in the connections. Please advise as to...this is normal, or a tip or trick to fix. Thanks Bob

RE: Electric motor on P-40 is loose

Hello Cpt Kirk,
    It is not normal. A motor and the firewall that it is mounted to MUST be rock solid. Your brief description of the up n down movement indicates that the firewall(also known as "motor board" in MRC's spare parts listings) is not securely glued in what is atypically a slot in the fuselage for the firewall/motor board. My preferred glue for foam airframe repairs is Gorilla. Best of luck on the repair.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

Comment

I want to thank you for your quick reply and to validate my concerns for the movement. I want to try an explain what I see. The firewall that is attached to the fuse is made out of plastic with three screw holes which appear to be flimsey. The motor mount is metal with two set screws on the side in which the motor sets into and tightens. To me the problem is in manufacturing the firewall.. it is too flimsey. So how do I use Gorilla Glue to solve this problem. Thank you again for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10
        Hello Cpt Kirk,
        It is not normal. A motor and the firewall that it is mounted to MUST be rock solid. Your brief description of the up n down movement indicates that the firewall(also known as "motor board" in MRC's spare parts listings) is not securely glued in what is atypically a slot in the fuselage for the firewall/motor board. My preferred glue for foam airframe repairs is Gorilla. Best of luck on the repair.
        #3 1 hour ago
        I want to thank you for your quick reply and to validate my concerns for the movement. I want to try an explain what I see. The firewall that is attached to the fuse is made out of plastic with three screw holes on tabs which appear to be flimsey. The motor mount is metal with two set screws on the side in which the motor sets into and tightens. To me the problem is in manufacturing the firewall.. it is too flimsey. So how do I use Gorilla Glue to solve this problem. Thank you again for your reply.

Comment

Hello CK,
          Your description still doesn't clearly point out where the exact problem is. The reason I say this is because you haven't determined whether the metal motor mount is loose on the plastic or the plastic is loose in the foam. Also the metal motor mount is an X brace with four(4) and not 2 screws attaching it to the plastic "motor board". If you look at a pic of this motor board on the spare parts section it is a rather robust assembly and all that you are able to see of it in the plane is the face of it. Hard to imagine that it is loose but I have seen stranger stuff. Check the screws that mount the metal X motor mount to the plastic. Regarding the Gorilla glue, if in fact that the plastic motor board has come loose then you will have to perform some surgery. There is multiple methods of doing this and is varied based upon your build/repair capable skill levels as well as tools to do it. I have actually injected glue into these areas and have also been forced to actually cut open the fuselage to do the repair. Good luck
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

Comment

Working...
          X