X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing electronic retract specifications

MotionRC carries several different types of Freewing electronic retracts: Type A, B, B2, D, D2, C, E, G, F, M in various shaft diameters (3.1, 4.1, 5.1 mm). Are the specifications published anywhere? What do the ‘types’ stand for?

Hello TPacini and welcome to the Squawk.

As an absolute warbird fanatic and depend heavily on reliable etracts I had your same concerns.
    The specs are NOT published anywhere and a long while ago I asked one of the owners of MRC if they could be and he said they would see if that was possible.
    Its been more than a year and most like pushing 2 years since the question was asked so I gave up and seriously doubt that it will happen which leaves ALL of your questions to be unanswered.
    No blame on the Motion owner but more on Freewing. They (Freewing / FMS / etcetera) hold that stuff rather close to the vest as well as making sure there is minimal/no compatibility.

Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

Comment

I understand Freewing not wanting to disclose certain information, but then what’s the point of MRC listing the retracts by ‘type’? Without context the alphabet soup is useless.

Comment

Originally posted by TPacini View Post
        I understand Freewing not wanting to disclose certain information, but then what’s the point of MRC listing the retracts by ‘type’? Without context the alphabet soup is useless.
        You won't get an argument from me on that point
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

Comment

Well, good question. We list the types because we have to call them something to differentiate them. In reality, if you need a retract for a 90mm F-16, the best thing to do is find the 90mm F-16 on motionrc.com and click the "spare parts" tab. We always show all spare parts compatible with each plane in the spare parts tab for that plane.

In a nutshell, the differences are the following: Shaft diameter, nose retract vs main retract, rotating retract vs normal retract, and I assume the number of degrees each retract opens (for example, 80 vs 90). Unfortunately the only specs we have are the voltage and the list of Freewing planes they work with. For voltage, don't exceed 5.5V. One of our customer service guys flew his FlightLine Corsair with 6V (I don't recommend this) but I've also seen many customers fry all their retracts and LEDs with 6V. The retracts, in general, don't handle 6V. The blue box does not handle 6V.

Freewing brought all their servo production in house starting about a year ago due to quality issues with servo suppliers. Since they started making all servos in house, we now have all servo specs and they are very significantly more reliable. I'm hoping to convince them to do the same with retracts. If they make all retracts in house, I believe they will be better and we will have all specs.

Comment

Working...
          X