You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spektrum DX6: How To Reverse Certain Servos In Fligh?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spektrum DX6: How To Reverse Certain Servos In Fligh?

Does anyone know how on the DX6 to program switch that when toggled will reverse the flight control surfaces? Or maybe direct me to a place with instructions? I'd like to play around with it when I have my plane inverted and see what it's like.

I don't believe this can be done and I think it would be far more dangerous to learn to fly inverted like that even if you could. You are better off to just learn how to fly inverted the proper way. It just requires mental training. You can practice on a sim.

Comment

DX6.. probably can't.

More advanced transmitters, yes you can make the servos reverse, with a switch (not automatically)

The basic principal of having them reverse automatically based on aircraft orientation will require it to be a function of a gyro-stabilizer board in the aircraft.
      SIMILAR has been done with the "drones" (4 + rotor R aircraft) in the ones that sense their nose orientation vs transmitter location and you can flip a switch to put them in "no nose" mode.

So what you want will require you to program a custom "6 axis" gyro stabilizer.

I'll agree that if you are used to the normal (down is up and rudder is reversed) effect of inverted flight, you are very likely to try a push on a high speed low pass and splatter it all over the runway.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Not advisable.

Comment

Flying inverted using a switch to reverse the servo direction is not recommended. The correct way is to learn by pushing in down elevator to climb. If you trim the plane so when it is inverted you have to positively push in a small amount of down elevator to fly straight and level you may find that helps. Don't forget the rudder direction will also be reversed when inverted as well.

Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
            DX6.. probably can't.

More advanced transmitters, yes you can make the servos reverse, with a switch (not automatically)

The basic principal of having them reverse automatically based on aircraft orientation will require it to be a function of a gyro-stabilizer board in the aircraft.
            SIMILAR has been done with the "drones" (4 + rotor R aircraft) in the ones that sense their nose orientation vs transmitter location and you can flip a switch to put them in "no nose" mode.

So what you want will require you to program a custom "6 axis" gyro stabilizer.

I'll agree that if you are used to the normal (down is up and rudder is reversed) effect of inverted flight, you are very likely to try a push on a high speed low pass and splatter it all over the runway.
            Thank you fhhuber, I don't fly with gyro stabilization unless I can't turn it off (I'm an old school pilot when it comes to planes) so that isn't a factor. I'm very competent at inverted flight. I flew collective pitch heli's for years inverted. The reason I was curious is a friend let me fly his multi-rotor and the flight controller would actually reverse everything when the multi went upside down. That was pretty cool and I thought it fun to give a try on a plane.

Comment

Originally posted by jimemacmillan View Post
              Does anyone know how on the DX6 to program switch that when toggled will reverse the flight control surfaces? Or maybe direct me to a place with instructions? I'd like to play around with it when I have my plane inverted and see what it's like.
              Jim and everyone, I'm interested in this topic (for applications other than inverted flight). Have you found a transmitter or method--or can anyone suggest a transmitter or method--that will allow the reversing of a servo to be assigned to a switch? I'd like to be able to reverse a servo mid-flight or mid-drive or mid-whatever. Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tommysev View Post

Jim and everyone, I'm interested in this topic (for applications other than inverted flight). Have you found a transmitter or method--or can anyone suggest a transmitter or method--that will allow the reversing of a servo to be assigned to a switch? I'd like to be able to reverse a servo mid-flight or mid-drive or mid-whatever. Many thanks.
                Not with the DX6 or most, if not all Spektrum TXs. You can fly with the servo reverse menu open and highlighting the servo you want reversed BUT, reversing a servo while flying can be VERY dangerous and it's better to learn how to fly inverted the "normal" way. Reversing the servo just so you don't get confused when flying inverted is a really bad way to do it. You say you want it for "other" than inverted flying but what other parameter would you need or want to reverse the servo (certainly NOT a control surface)? If you wanted to reverse say, the motor direction, then you can get a reversing ESC. Those can be reversed via a dedicated switch. I can't think of any other circumstance where you would want to reverse a servo in mid-flight. Please enlighten me.
                Techically (and I'm not recommending it for the reasons I've already given) you can reverse a servo via a switch with the use of a thing called a "Buddy Box" from HobbyKing (~$10.00). You then put that servo on a servo reverser coming out of the Buddy Box, which is controlled by a designated switch (you'd need an empty channel for this so you can't have a plane that uses all 6 channels). The Buddy Box diverts the servo signal to a different pathway before it gets to the servo. On that path, you can apply a servo reverser.

Comment

Ohhh no, so unwise to try and reverse a servo in flight. Inviting trouble you don't want.

Comment

Bad things will happen very fast when you do that. I don't recommend it.

Comment

I can’t think of a better way to invite an accident...
                      in the interest of safety, please do not attempt.

Comment

Since he has not been back, I have a feeling he's going to try something foolish and not trying to reverse a servo of non-control surface (as he claimed). Sometimes, no amount of warning will save a person from himself. He may simply have to learn the hard way.

Comment

Ugh, people like that are reasons for rapid increase in beer intake.:Straight-Face:

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            Since he has not been back, I have a feeling he's going to try something foolish and not trying to reverse a servo of non-control surface (as he claimed). Sometimes, no amount of warning will save a person from himself. He may simply have to learn the hard way.
                            :Clock:Remove all the warnings and let Darwin ‘thin the heard’?

Comment

Despite how bad the idea sounds.... it has been done successfully. But not with a DX6.
                              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                Ugh, people like that are reasons for rapid increase in beer intake.:Straight-Face:
                                We used to have 8 hour bottle to throttle rule in the Air Force, but that's a good one Rifleman!LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X