X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FrSky Horus X12S

Thinking about getting this radio and I would like to hear from people who own it. What do you like about? I currently own a DX6 and have since I started in this hobby.
    My YouTube Channel

Hi Jobin, I have the X7, X7S, X9D, X10, X10S, and X12S. We strenuously tested these radio systems before choosing which to carry at Motion RC, and we decided to carry the X7, X7S, X10, and X10S (same as X10 but adds fancy external color parts). While I personally really enjoy the X12, frankly the X10 eclipses it in many key ways, and does so at a lower price than X12! Having visited the factory and consulted with their dev team as well, it was clear to us that the X10 is envisioned as a replacement of sorts for the X12, at least within the majority of the RC market. There are a couple things the X10 doesn't have that the X12 does, but unless you're really wanting a built-in gyro, for example, I would say the X10 is going to be by far the more economical and effective radio from FrSky compared to the X12. For these and a few other reasons, we opted to carry the X10, but not the X12.

Many of the other features between these two radios are either the same or similar. Build quality, screen quality, gimbal accuracy, channel count, FrOS firmware, etc. The X12 is more expensive and heavier with a top mounted screen and on board gyro. The X10 is less expensive, lighter, with a bottom mounted screen and without a gyro. Those are the major things that stand out to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170911_095724.jpg
Views:	1639
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	106876
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thank you, much appreciated.
      My YouTube Channel

Comment

Are these transmitters compatible with Spektrum receivers? The only thing stopping me from getting this brand is the dreadful thought of replacing all of my dang receivers in my planes. It's really going to add up.
        Current Fleet: Flightline Tigercat, Flightline Bearcat, Eflite Corsair, ESM Skyraider, Pilot RC Yak-54 30%:corsair

Comment

I can relate, I only use Spektrum receivers. For the 30+ I have I need to be sure. I have been told that this module will allow to use Spektrum receivers. https://www.banggood.com/IRangeX-IRX...r_warehouse=CN

I am going to buy the X12S and this module. I would not buy this and spend almost $600 if I was not positive this works. One of our club members bound a Spekturm receiver with his X12S a couple of days ago.
          My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by spec450 View Post
            Are these transmitters compatible with Spektrum receivers? The only thing stopping me from getting this brand is the dreadful thought of replacing all of my dang receivers in my planes. It's really going to add up.
            You can add a module to them and use Spektrum receivers.
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

You can add a module to them and use Spektrum receivers.
              Is this a question of or a confirmation to jobinseattle's statement :Confused:
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Is this a question of or a confirmation to jobinseattle's statement :Confused:
                I had it typed up before he posted...I was looking for the link.
                TiredIron Aviation

Comment

I had it typed up before he posted...I was looking for the link.
                  So what do you know about this module and it's compatibility with the FrSky?
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by jobinseattle View Post
                    Thinking about getting this radio and I would like to hear from people who own it. What do you like about? I currently own a DX6 and have since I started in this hobby.
                    If you aren't having any issues with your DX6, why would you need another radio. You need more channels? You have planes that need exotic flight parameters? You need better programming features? Are you interested in attempting to delve into OpenTX which is quite a chore if you aren't really Tx programming saavy? Maybe you should consider simply upgrading to a DX8 or DX9 & not have any issues with your Spektrum Rx's. In addition, HH's service for Spektrum is superb & quite a fast return & many times is free. I would strongly suggest to really do some homework before you invest into something you may not need. I still use a 25yr old JR10X that is flawless with quality & reliability & has more programming attributes/features I will ever need so why would I want to change? The Horus series Tx's still are in developmental stages & look to have ongoing issues since their inception. Go to RCG & read to get a real grasp of what you are considering. Good luck in you choice.

Denny
                    *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
                    *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

So what do you know about this module and it's compatibility with the FrSky?
                      I've got one I'm going to put one in once I figure out the right one.

Name:	Taranis.jpg
Views:	1836
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	107190
                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by yorkiepap View Post

If you aren't having any issues with your DX6, why would you need another radio. You need more channels? You have planes that need exotic flight parameters? You need better programming features? Are you interested in attempting to delve into OpenTX which is quite a chore if you aren't really Tx programming saavy? Maybe you should consider simply upgrading to a DX8 or DX9 & not have any issues with your Spektrum Rx's. In addition, HH's service for Spektrum is superb & quite a fast return & many times is free. I would strongly suggest to really do some homework before you invest into something you may not need. I still use a 25yr old JR10X that is flawless with quality & reliability & has more programming attributes/features I will ever need so why would I want to change? The Horus series Tx's still are in developmental stages & look to have ongoing issues since their inception. Go to RCG & read to get a real grasp of what you are considering. Good luck in you choice.

Denny
                        Thanks for your input. Basically the whole reason for looking at another radio because there is a 8 channel plane I want. I love my DX6 and never had an issue with it or Spektrum receivers. Some club members have this radio and it is impressive. OpenTX is interesting I think it would be interesting to learn. I really like the companion software feature. I already downloaded it and have been messing around with it. Although more channels than I need now but expandable to more than I will probably ever need. I like the idea 6 or 8 channel receivers are so much cheaper than Spektrum receivers. I have not bought it yet, still doing my homework.
                        My YouTube Channel

Comment

I'm still looking at the x10 myself I really like the features packed in it. Especially the presence of 3 antennas. I really like that option.

Comment

I've got one I'm going to put one in once I figure out the right one.

Name:	Taranis.jpg
Views:	1836
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	107190
                            I'm interested in what you find as well. And alpha, is there a way to get an admiral branded tx modual for these radios? Now that would be SWEET!

Comment

For those looking at the X10. The Opentx guys just released 2.2.1 which fully supports the X10.
                              Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
                              R. A. Heinlein

Comment

I'm actually liking the fros. So far its been an easy transition for me. I also have the Orange tx module that has been working really well sofar

Comment

I've been flying Futaba for years both FM narrow banded Channel 50 and a 10CAP 2.4 transmitter. Never had any issues but. I'm seriously look at the FrSky Horus 10x. The operating system fewtures, and lemetry look very compelling. Couple of questions do the FrSky receivers work with Futaba servos? I fly glow models, electrics, and large gas Warbirds. Do the FrSky systems have any limitations or weak areas. Will the receivers take 6.6 volts (Life batteries)? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by me109pilot View Post
                                    I've been flying Futaba for years both FM narrow banded Channel 50 and a 10CAP 2.4 transmitter. Never had any issues but. I'm seriously look at the FrSky Horus 10x. The operating system fewtures, and lemetry look very compelling. Couple of questions do the FrSky receivers work with Futaba servos? I fly glow models, electrics, and large gas Warbirds. Do the FrSky systems have any limitations or weak areas. Will the receivers take 6.6 volts (Life batteries)? Thanks in advance!
                                    I got a chance to try a X10 for the first time, I can't believe what this radio can do in Open TX, a friend of mine loaned me his backup radio and he left a couple of his planes and jets programmed in so I could cheat and look at his to figure this radio out, it helped but I programmed my FW F-86 almost by myself so it can't be to hard to learn of I can do it. I want one now, this radio feels very nice in your hands and is quality built as well, gimbals have a very smooth feel to them. I'm seriously thinking about changing over from Futaba after 34 yrs with them, liked that Open TX, you can mix anything with just about anything on this thing. Still not sure, I love my Futabas as well, just don't like these new plastic cases, seem to small for my big hands.

Comment

Thanks DCorsair! I hate to change from Futaba as well but with their high prices and difficulty in getting equipment. I started looking at the X10 and it sure looks good. I even downloaded the manual and looks pretty simple to program.
                                      ​​​​

Comment

+1 - some of the programming on the X10 can be a little complicated, but there are plenty of web tutorials to get you started. In fact, unless you are programming something really complicated, you can probably find an example of exactly what you want. There is soooo much capability.

Comment

Working...
                                        X