Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll - Which brand of radio do you fly?

What brand(s) of radio do you fly with most often?
    Dynam / Gavin
    4.11%
    FrSky
    21.92%
    Futaba
    17.81%
    Graupner
    1.37%
    Hitec
    1.37%
    Jeti
    2.74%
    JR
    6.85%
    Mikado
    0%
    Radiolink
    0%
    Spektrum
    56.16%
    Tactic
    6.85%
    Turnigy
    1.37%
    Other (tell us in the thread)
    4.11%

I added a few more options based on feedback. Please vote again.

Comment

How about "all of the above and more" ?

I still break out the Polks Tracker III sometimes.
      The Mattel quit working.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I am a spectrum dx9 person myself. Easy to use and great feel in my hand and the gimbles are very smooth. I also like the model memory each model has its own dedicated channel very cool. I really like the feel of the FRsky and the appearance of it as well. This can do just about anything you want it to do. But that is its downfall as well. They made this thing so complex that learning this is almost impossible but I heat that the open xt will help this radio big time. I have been told the same as Graupner radios as well not sure on that one though.

Comment

Spektrum, for years and years. Reliable ,easy to use and the service is there if you need it.

Mike
          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

I fly with a Turnigy 9X and a 9XR Pro with a FrSky TX module and RXs.

Comment

I was introduced to Spektrum with the purchase of the Phoenix Flight sim and haven't tried anything else ... :Smug:
              Straighten Up - Fly Right

Comment

I've flown using many brands...

Started with Kraft, which was one of the best on the planet at the time. The company doesn't exist now.
                Mostly I used Futaba from mid 1980's to appx 2005. But I did use a few others such as E-Sky when they cme in RTF packages.
                I still have the Polks Tracker III radios that I used for several years just before 2.4 ghz became popular. If 72 mhz had continued to be popular that brand was in position with advanced technology for essentially taking over the market.
                Spektrum was first on the market with a 2.4 ghz system that wasn't based on taking apart a working 72 mhz radio and replacing the RF deck.

With 72 mhz you only had to worry about "shift" when selecting an aftermarket RX t use with your TX. So it was common to use Hitec with Futaba and several off-brand RXs with any of the major makers' TXs.

The proprietary encoding of each different 2.4 ghz format makes it less practical to use aftermarket receivers. Even the "Orange", "Lemon" and other supposedly compatible aftermarket RXs for use with Spektrum are not really 100% compatible.
                So once you have a few receivers for one 2.4 ghz system, you are pretty well committed to that brand.

I still have over 50 useable 72 mhz RXs and I have over 30 Spektrum RXs. I can still use the Polks Tracker but almost exclusively use the Spektrum 2.4 ghz system (currently DX-18, V2 with voice and telemetry)
                FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I fly with Tactic most, because both of my first two planes were RTF with Tactic radio systems. While inexpensive systems, I've had no problems with them so far. My Dynam Waco came with the Gavin system, but I have not flown it yet.

I think my next "big" purchase for the planes will be a better transmitter that can easily be bound with all three (even if I have to change out the receiver in the Waco), so I have less to haul back and forth to the flying field.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                    I fly with Tactic most, because both of my first two planes were RTF with Tactic radio systems. While inexpensive systems, I've had no problems with them so far. My Dynam Waco came with the Gavin system, but I have not flown it yet.

I think my next "big" purchase for the planes will be a better transmitter that can easily be bound with all three (even if I have to change out the receiver in the Waco), so I have less to haul back and forth to the flying field.
                    Good move and you won't regret it. Just buy more radio than you think you need. Trust me I know.

Mike

Comment

After setting up two of the Spektrum IX12 transmitters for friends I popped on one yesterday, can't wait till I get that package from the "Motion Warehouse Manager"...we love you Brian!
                      TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I fly using Flysky, will never go back to any other system .

Comment

I currently fly Futaba but going to switch to Spektrum as they have become the top dog in bind & fly. Not to happy with Spektrums fixed pricing though

Comment

Originally posted by krosloniec49426 View Post
                            I currently fly Futaba but going to switch to Spektrum as they have become the top dog in bind & fly. Not to happy with Spektrums fixed pricing though
                            Do it and don't look back ! Love my DX8 gen 2

Comment

Originally posted by krosloniec49426 View Post
                              Pricing is fine. The customer support is worth every penny.
                              Mike

Comment

I have been with Futaba for 34yrs, recently tried a FrSky and seriously thinking about making my first radio brand change, only thing is the programming has my brain working overtime and I only set up one EDF jet so far...............:Silly::Confused:

Comment

I have a XD9 and a QX7 but I don't use Open TX. I can program the TXs OK without it. I also have a DX8 and a DX6 G3. I don't use the DX8 as I hate the slippery scroller but I love the DX6.

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                                    After setting up two of the Spektrum IX12 transmitters for friends I popped on one yesterday, can't wait till I get that package from the "Motion Warehouse Manager"...we love you Brian!
                                    So how is that IX12 going TI? Looking to the future here. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Grantham Kid View Post

So how is that IX12 going TI? Looking to the future here. :)
                                      It's ok, just a little slow booting up and switching models.
                                      TiredIron Aviation
                                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I have used, in chronological order.
                                        Cox/Sanwa 72mHz My first radios, 2,3, and 4 channel transmitters, no rates or reversing
                                        Airtronics Championship 7, 72mHz Moved up to a radio with rates, reversing, and mixing capabilities. All by physical switches and pots. Then on to my first computer radio, Infinity 660
                                        Multiplex Royal Evo transmitter with Airtronic receivers 72mhz As functional as the Airtronics computer transmitter, but with more model memories
                                        Spektrum 2.4 My first exposure to 2.4
                                        Multiplex transmitter hacked to Spektrum 2.4 with Spektrum receivers. Worked great.
                                        Airtronics SD10G 2.4 My first love finally came out with 2.4
                                        Tactic 6 channel 2.4. Used specifically for DLGs, as the SD10G was heavy and not ergonomically good for one handed grasp. Still used the Airtronics for all other planes
                                        Spektrum 2.4 with Lemon and Spektrum receivers.Tthis is all I fly today.

Comment

Working...
                                        X