X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spektrum DX8 gen2 or DX9

I learned to fly on an Apprentice and now fly the 1400 FMS Sky Trainer Cessna 182. Next plane will be the EFlite 1500 At-6 or FMS 1400 T-28 with the ultimate goal of flying full-on warbirds, twin engines and maybe a few EDF jets. Need a new transmitter and considering the DX8 or DX9. I thought about a Taranis, but my son has one and had some difficulty setting it up and his computer expertise is far beyond mine. 6 channels will be taken by throttle,elevator, rudder, ailerons, flaps and retracts. I'd also like to add a MrRC sound unit with gun sounds which, as I understand, will take 2 channels, totaling 8. I'm not interested in adding servos to make a pilot's head or gun turret rotate, although telemetry is appealing. Unless I'm missing something, the DX8 should meet my foreseeable needs. Other than the extra channel, is there anything else the DX9 offers which would justify the extra $150? $ is not the issue, but I'd rather put the $150 towards planes, batteries charger etc if the DX9 offers no other significant benefits over the DX8. Thanks for your expertise and guidance.

Hey ICM,

I've been considering upgrading myself from DX6. Just found out Spektrum is now offering a DX8e, for the same price as a DX6 right now. I don't know how long it will be at this price. It may be an option for you to consider, just passing on the information ...;)
    Straighten Up - Fly Right

Comment

It's not available until late May according to the Spektrum site.
      For the $100 more on the Gen2 DX8 you're gonna be better off.
      That is because of Voice alerts and Diversity antenna.
      Just look at the comparison chart on that page.;)
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

So no one thinks the DX9 is worth the premium over the The DX8 gen 2 or DX8e for my purposes?

Comment

Originally posted by ICM View Post
          So no one thinks the DX9 is worth the premium over the The DX8 gen 2 or DX8e for my purposes?
          I personally think Spektrum has the DX9 at a stupid price point. It basically is only one more channel than the Gen2 DX8.
          The DX8e is not in the same class when comparing against the other two.
          I do have a DX9, but I got it on a fluke LHS going out of business sale for $325 during the fall of 2016..............SCORE :Smug:
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
            It's not available until late May according to the Spektrum site.
            For the $100 more on the Gen2 DX8 you're gonna be better off.
            That is because of Voice alerts and Diversity antenna.
            Just look at the comparison chart on that page.;)

After checking the stats on the DX8e, you may be right, I think I may have to lean more towards the DX8. Are you taking full advantage of the DX9, at present I don't have any birds utilizing more than 6 channels yet ...

Comment

Even when I'm ready to move up to warbirds and EDF jets its tough to foresee using more than 6 control surfaces (including throttle), however, I can foresee adding stabilization, sound card and maybe telemetry. That's why I m thinking DX8 or DX9.

Comment

Originally posted by mcriley2 View Post

:Devil: After checking the stats on the DX8e, you may be right, I think I may have to lean more towards the DX8. Are you taking full advantage of the DX9, at present I don't have any birds utilizing more than 6 channels yet ...
                No doubt about it, am heavily involved in the warbirds and some could use 10 channels.
                Warbird Charlie

Comment

Being new to the hobby, I'd be interested in knowing what you would need 9/10 channels for on your warbirds. Could you list them? I'm not being facetious, just a relative noob trying to learn.

Comment

Well a basic warbird uses 6 channels for the throttle, ailerons, rudder, elevator, retractable gear and flaps.
                    Now add bomb bay doors and bomb drop and stabilizer and speed brakes and movable gun turret.............oopppps now I'm at 11 LOL Etcetera and so on ;)
                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

Being new to the hobby, I'd be interested in knowing what you would need 9/10 channels for on your warbirds. Could you list them? I'm not being facetious, just a relative noob trying to learn.
                      DX8 is all you really need.
                      TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I think you're right that 8 channels is all I'll need. 6 will be taken for control channels. If I add a sound card, as I understand, its connected by Y harness to the throttle channel on the receiver. If I added gun sounds, that takes a 7th channel, leaving 1 free channel in reserve for lights, stabilization or telemetry. At 72, I don't have a long enough time horizon to worry about bomb drops, movable turrets/sticks etc. I'll be happy if I can become a competent pilot. The only issue is whether 2 free channels provided by the DX9 for future proofing is worth $150

Comment

Originally posted by mcriley2 View Post
                          :Devil: Hey ICM,

I've been considering upgrading myself from DX6. Just found out Spektrum is now offering a DX8e, for the same price as a DX6 right now. I don't know how long it will be at this price. It may be an option for you to consider, just passing on the information ...;)
                          The price for the DX8e is permanent. However, there are many areas where the DX6 is superior which is why the price is the same. Your DX6 has dual diversity antenna, voice alerts, and comfortable rubber grips. You lose these features with the DX8e while gaining 2 more channels.

Comment

Even when I'm ready to move up to warbirds and EDF jets its tough to foresee using more than 6 control surfaces (including throttle), however, I can foresee adding stabilization, sound card and maybe telemetry. That's why I m thinking DX8 or DX9.
                            It depends the jets you want to get into. Many of the larger Freewing jets have extra features (air brakes, leading edge slats, etc) which require one or more extra channels to fly. Additionally, the elevator servos come with a Y cable so you can use a single channel but I prefer to break those into two channels so I can set sub trim and end points separately on each elevator servo. Breaking the elevator into two channels provides much more finite control with a jet. Lastly, if you use any gyros, many require extra channels for some of the features. For example, the Admiral RX6000 SP gyro/receiver can use one channel for remote master gain. Again, these are all optional but I can easily see going beyond 9 channels with a larger jet and gyro. It all depends on what you want to fly and what features you use.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post

The price for the DX8e is permanent. However, there are many areas where the DX6 is superior which is why the price is the same. Your DX6 has dual diversity antenna, voice alerts, and comfortable rubber grips. You lose these features with the DX8e while gaining 2 more channels.
                              Thanks for the info Tom. That's a couple of areas I hadn't even considered ...

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                Well a basic warbird uses 6 channels for the throttle, ailerons, rudder, elevator, retractable gear and flaps.
                                Now add bomb bay doors and bomb drop and stabilizer and speed brakes and movable gun turret.............oopppps now I'm at 11 LOL Etcetera and so on ;)

Yeah, I can see where anyone would quickly lose channel space adding all that up.
                                I guess I'm still a couple of years away from needing those extra channels ... :Smug:

Comment

I'm in the same dilema. coming from a futaba 7cap, been away awhile, and would like to get back in with the newer features (safe mode, ect....) I have a couple bush planes 6 channel stuff, just trying to see which would be better for what I do. dx8g2 or dx9. I don't plan on getting into jets, ect.... would like to keep within a budget, so that is why I am leaning towards the dx8, but don't want to give anything up. rather pay once/cry once type thing. I could get the dx8 with a couple of recievers for what the dx9 might cost me.

my thoughts are dx8 on a 6 channel with 2 extra. do you need the 2 for using the safe modes ect....? still learning about the newer stuff that is available on 2.4 vs 72mhz.
                                  thanks for any input. sorry for highjacking thread. :)

Comment

Welp the big difference all the lower DX models from a DX9 is the, "Programmable Voice Alert" function of the DX9. Last time I checked any of the models that are lessor didn't have this. This why I opted to get the DX9. The cost sucks, twice as much as the other radios. This may not be important to you. It was to me, because it allowed me to assign audible voice prompts to all my control functions. What does this mean? If I run this thing right I shouldn't ever need to look at the radio to know where I've set switches. But to be totally honest my memory isn't as good as it use to be, so I do still have to look frequently. But I still like the audibles. I think the DX8 & DX6 are fine radios, heck they have a DX21, to me I just don't see the need for anything over 9 channels in any type of flying I'll ever do. But that's me : ).

If you don't see a need for the voice prompts, I can't think of any other differences other than lessor channels.

Good Luck
                                    Woody

Sorry just realized some of the lessor ones now have voice alerts. My sincere apologies.

Comment

Hello Mag1 and welcome to the Squawk,
                                      Yes the DX9 and DX18 were the first to get the voice alerts but now the DX8 G2 (2nd generation) and the DX6 G3 have the voice alerts also.
                                      The DX8 and DX9 are for all intent and purpose identical for features other than a channel which makes the price difference between them of $120 kind of ridiculous.
                                      The DX6 obviously has lesser channels and also lacks the amount of aircraft wing types feature of 7 versus 10 and doesn't have a 2000mAh Li-Ion Tx battery but rather 4 AA with Li-Ion as option at $100 less than the DX8
                                      Best long term value solution these days would in my book be the DX8 G2 ;)
                                      Warbird Charlie

Comment

I just got done upgrading from a G2 DX6 to a G2 DX8, love it so far and really enjoy the built in rechargeable Li-Ion instead of running AA's. I have had issues with AA's in the DX6 losing connection and rebooting the Tx as well so I was really happy to be done with those!

Comment

Working...
                                        X