Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Admiral Reciever

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admiral Reciever

Hey i know im puttng my stupidity out there but ive never used lemon or Admiral. My need is to know how to bind just the basic 10 and 6 channel admiral recievers. Not the ones with any kind of stabilization. Ive been away from the community and the hobby for a bit. Just been catching up. Please if someone would please lay out the way to bind the basic Admiral reciever for me id appreciate it. Ive always been a spectrum pilot. Thanks in advance to any info.
    Dewey l

Admiral or Lemon or Spektrum full range, basic or stabilized, they all bind the same way. Plug in bind plug into bind port. Power up the RX either by way of the BEC in the ESC (ie, throttle input) or an external BEC. While holding bind button on TX, turn it on and keep the button held till it tells you "bind complete". You may have to go up to 10 feet away from the RX to do this. When done, power off RX, pull bind plug, power off TX. From now on, you shouldn't have to be 10 feet away to initialize the system. Just turn on TX, then the RX.

Comment

Thanks Xviper. Since my accident i litterly have to write everything told to me or be able to read instructions over and over again to get things right. Short term memory shot to crap. Thanks again.
      Dewey l

Comment

Sorry to hear this. I understand. The son of a friend had a bad motorcycle crash many years ago. He survived but ............................................. :Crying:

Comment

I wonder why they changed the programming on the Admiral Stab Plus compared to the Lemon Stab Plus version. Im guessing the Admiral version is tailered for newbies with the recovery button.

Comment

I believe the Lemon Stab Plus also has a recovery mode. Lemon calls it "auto level". I think it's the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
              I believe the Lemon Stab Plus also has a recovery mode. Lemon calls it "auto level". I think it's the same thing.
              But it works different , The Lemon uses auto level that you leave the switch into, Kinda works like the SAFE. . limits the banking The Admiral works from a button like a panic button

Comment

It doesn't have to be on a button. You can put it on a switch if you like. If you hold the button on the Admiral, can you still use the sticks, only with limited angles?

Comment

Just glancing over the "quick start guide", I see that in order to use the button, a mix must be programmed into the TX. It is this mix that allows the button to act as a sort of "SAFE" mode. The mix instructs the gear channel (which is what controls the modes) to be controlled by the button. If you don't do a mix, I think the gear switch works the recovery mode (if that's the "combo" you chose) since that's the channel that does the gyro. This can also be done (using the button) on the Lemon if that's what you want to do.

Comment

Just glancing over the "quick start guide", I see that in order to use the button, a mix must be programmed into the TX. It is this mix that allows the button to act as a sort of "SAFE" mode. The mix instructs the gear channel (which is what controls the modes) to be controlled by the button. If you don't do a mix, I think the gear switch works the recovery mode (if that's the "combo" you chose) since that's the channel that does the gyro. This can also be done (using the button) on the Lemon if that's what you want to do.
                    The Lemon rx manual doesnt say anything about putting a mix , the Lemon rx use a 3 position switch , so it gives you off, gyro on , auto level . Adminal gives you combos . I have the Lemon version, its already hooked up and ready for the first flight on Friday.

Comment

It’s whatever switch you assign the mix to. I is the bind button which is a good idea for folks wanting the safe style recovery. I’ve mixed combo c to switch H for an on off situation you can also mix it to C. A 3 position switch is not necessary and the gear operation is not affected by any of this. If you don’t setup a mix at all and only bind the rx it is always in green light stabilized mode which is normal. It’s like standard as3x with no recovery or any other feature. Just on.

Comment

Found this on Rcgroups

Description

In terms of its hardware, the Admiral is manufactured by Lemon RX and is identical to the Lemon LM0044 StabilizerPLUS receiver. Physically, only the label is different; Admiral has simplified it to make it easier to follow.
                        Some of the information has been moved to a new label on the back of the case. This arrangement makes it easier to read without a magnifier if your eyesight is less than stellar – but once you have mounted the stab with the supplied double sided tape you can no longer see the instructions for the DIP switch settings.
                        The real differences are entirely in the revised firmware, which was developed by Motion RC. To quote from the website, “Motion RC has drastically simplified the stabilizer programming functions and gyro functionality.”
                        The inevitable result of this is that the Admiral is easier to use but much less flexible in application compared to the Lemon StabPLUS. Many of the Lemon’s adjustment possibilities are omitted from the Admiral in order to make it as close as possible to “plug and play”.
                        On the other hand, the Admiral has an ingenious feature that allows an electric retractable landing gear setup to be used on channel 5 (Gear) while still supporting switching of stabilization mode; by contrast, the Lemon StabPLUS can only make channel 5 available by use of its Always-ON function.
                        So in the Admiral we have a very different unit from the Lemon on which it’s based. Our purpose here is not to judge which stabilizer is “better” but to help potential purchasers understand the differences in relation to their own needs and make their own decision.

Similarities

In a number of important ways, the Admiral functions in the same manner as the Lemon StabPLUS on which it is based:
                        • It is compatible with the Spektrum DSMX protocol (and DSM2 with certain reservations).
                        • It has dual diversity antennas and does not provide for (or need) a satellite receiver.
                        • It uses the standard Spektrum TAERGAux1 channel order (though it uses the Gear channel differently from Lemon).
                        • Binding is done in the normal way (and as with Lemon, may not work with some RF modules).
                        • The Admiral supports both no-pulse and preset failsafe, like the StabPLUS.
                        • As with Lemon, pots on the receiver adjust gain for Aileron, Elevator and Rudder channels.
                        • Switches J1, J2 and J3 set the direction of stabilization response on the three channels.
                        • Switches J4, J5 and J6 determine stabilizer configuration (normal, elevon, V-tail, dual aileron).
                        Physically, the Admiral is identical to the dual diversity antenna version of the Lemon StabPLUS except for the label.

Differences

In other respects, the Admiral differs significantly from the Lemon StabPLUS. Most importantly, if it is used as intended, the Autolevel function is essentially eliminated and replaced by Panic Recovery on a momentary switch. When invoked, this quickly returns the model to more or less upright and level flight. This obviates the need for a Level Reset capability as part of initialization and greatly simplifies setup.
                        The Admiral supports three stabilization modes.

• “Stability mode” is the normal state (“Gyro mode” in Lemon terms). This provides rate stabilization (similar to Spektrum’s AS3X©), which helps to smooth out flight by correcting for wind turbulence and other disturbances. It does not automatically return the model to level flight.
                        • The second mode, “Stabilization Plus”, provides panic recovery action (using the autolevel capability of the Lemon hardware), activated by pressing a momentary switch or button.
                        • The third mode is simply Stabilization OFF.

The Admiral can be switched in flight between any two of these three modes, previously selected. The default pair of modes is Stability/Stabilization Plus. Other combinations are Stability/OFF and Stability Plus/OFF, but these are less likely to be used. Changing the chosen combination is done by pressing a button on the receiver.
                        Selection in flight between the two chosen modes is enabled by pressing a momentary switch (the bind/trainer button on a Spektrum transmitter), programmed to change the end point of channel 5 by a small amount.

Here’s how mode selection works to allow the use of channel 5 for both retract gear and mode change. Electric retracts are switched between up and down positions when the value of the control pulse goes from substantially negative to substantially positive, or vice versa. The range required to activate the retracts is often described as ̵100% to 100%, but the actual values are not critical. The retracts do not care whether the actual percentage value is 95, 100 or 105. Thus it is possible for a 5% change in either the ̵100% or 100% value to be detected by the Admiral as a signal to switch the stabilization mode without triggering a change in the retract position. (This is only possible with electric retracts as a normal servo on channel 5 will respond to the 5% change.)

The Admiral’s method of operation makes the Always-ON function used by the Lemon StabPLUS unnecessary.
                        The Admiral can be set to basic or advanced rate for the Recovery mode (like the Lemon StabPLUS). We used the advanced setting.
                        The Admiral does not support Master Gain (which is provided on channel 8 by the Lemon StabPLUS).
                        The Admiral does not support Level Reset (something done by toggling during initialization for the Lemon). This means that there is no means of adjusting the level attitude other than changing the mounting angle of the receiver (more on this later). Moreover, the Admiral can only be mounted upright with connectors to the rear.
                        There no provision for Trim Reset, but this is not significant in light of how the Admiral is intended to be used.
                        Initialization of the Admiral is much more rapid than with the Lemon StabPLUS, as might be expected.

How well does it work?

In Stability mode (corresponding to Lemon Gyro mode or Spektrum AS3X), the Admiral provides very effective rate stabilization, comparable with that provided by Lemon stabilizers.
                        Installation of the Admiral is very easy provided it can be mounted with the pins to the rear, upright and level from side to side; other orientations are not supported. Double sided tape is provided for this purpose. In most cases, leaving the gain pots at their default 12 o’clock settings will provide satisfactory operation, but we found that for one of our test models, aileron gain needed to be turned down slightly to avoid mild oscillation. For several of the models, elevator and rudder gain could be turned all the way up to enhance stabilization without inducing oscillation.
                        Panic Recovery uses Stability Plus mode to restore the model to level flight when the momentary switch (bind button) is pressed. It does an excellent job of quickly rolling the model upright from any attitude, but it sometimes leaves the model in a steep dive which may require the pilot to use up elevator for recovery to level flight.
                        To achieve rapid fully automatic recovery, we found the Admiral receiver needs to be mounted not flat on the floor but nose down at an angle of 5 to 10 degrees. If this is done, when the button is pushed, the model snaps to level on both axes quickly and with great reliability.
                        The Admiral is not intended to be operated in prolonged Stability Plus mode, as the necessary provisions for adjustment (level reset and trim reset) are not available in its simplified firmware. Consequently, it does not attempt to emulate the range of functions of other six-axis stabilizers.
                        The Admiral can be set up to fly for extended periods in Autolevel mode by substituting a two- position toggle switch for the button or momentary switch. However, the lack of any means to reset the default attitude makes this of very limited value. Anyone intending to fly in Autolevel mode (other than for momentary panic recovery) should look instead to more capable six-axis stabilizers such as the LemonPLUS.
                        Before flying it is vital to ensure that stabilizer action works in the correct direction on each of the three axes, since in the default configuration no means is available to turn off the Admiral in flight. Reversed stabilization creates a very scary situation that will likely lead to a crash! A beginner would normally have little hope of managing a plane with reversed stabilization action. We would like to see this point emphasized in the Quick Start Guide.
                        Those who have an eight or more channel transmitter should note that the Admiral does not support Master Gain control, a very useful feature available on both the regular Lemon Stabilizer and the PLUS.

Transmitter Considerations

To perform as intended, with a functioning “panic button”, the Admiral RX600SP Stabilizer requires the use of a transmitter that can be programmed to use the bind switch or button in a mix that controls the output of channel 5. This appears to rule out the old DX6i and original DX7, as well as the JR 9303 and 9503. The Quick Start Guide does not mention this explicitly, but simply states that a DSMX transmitter is required. In other words, it implies that older generation Spektrum transmitters are not suitable.
                        In fact, the Admiral can be used with a wide range of DSM2 and/or DSMX-compatible transmitters, but with limitations in some cases:

• With a DX8G1, DX7s or any recent (G2 or G3) programmable Spektrum transmitter, the Admiral can be set up to be fully functional.
                        • With a DX6i, original DX7, JR 9303, etc., it will function as a rate stabilizer, but cannot also support retract gear or any other function on channel 5. Stabilizer mode is controllable by the Gear switch if the travel is set to ̵100% and 105%, thus providing a somewhat awkward but workable panic recovery function.
                        • With a Taranis, Devo, Turnigy 9X/9XR/9XR Pro or other such non-Spektrum programmable transmitter, the key question is the compatibility of the RF module, as generally the transmitter’s programming capability will be amply flexible. We have found only “hack” modules from a Spektrum transmitter (DX4e, DX5e, DX6i) or those using the Multi-Protocol (such as the iRange 4in1) to be usable.

Bottom Line

The Admiral RX600SP will appeal to people looking for an easy-to-set up rate stabilizer that also provides an effective panic recovery function. If mounted a few degrees nose-down, as explained above, it will reliably bring the aircraft back to level flight from any attitude when the button is pressed, even at very low altitude (somewhat like a SAFE© model in Experienced mode).
                        The other noteworthy feature of the Admiral Stab is that it permits switching mode while retaining full use of channel 5 (Gear) for electric retracts. The popular configuration of electric retract gear on channel 5 and flaps on channel 6 is thus supported.
                        It should be noted that while the setup of the Admiral is much simplified, it is not foolproof. It is important that it sits level in the roll axis and that cables or other parts do not press down on it and disturb it. Most importantly, before making a test flight, great care must be taken to verify that stabilization on each channel works in the correct direction.

Comment

So reading all that its different then the Lemon, Admiral has wahts called panic button and Lemon has auto level and its NOT the same. They also dont have Master Gain like Lemon . But both are good rxs just with different programming

Comment

Interesting. I use the Lemon but I don't use the auto-level at all.

Comment

What switch do you use , I use a 3 position switch at gear switch is used for my retracts . So I have off, gyro, auto level

I also read that Motion made there rx stab more for beginners

Comment

If your a good pilot ,you dont need it but it does make your landings look easy

Comment

Originally posted by fieldofdreamsflyer View Post
                                  So reading all that its different then the Lemon, Admiral has wahts called panic button and Lemon has auto level and its NOT the same. They also dont have Master Gain like Lemon . But both are good rxs just with different programming
                                  The Admiral does have remote master gain. We added it about 6 weeks ago (or so). For those with an 8+ channel radio, we've now added the ability to control the master gain from your radio using AUX3.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post

The Admiral does have master remote gain. We added it about 6 weeks ago (or so). For those with an 8+ channel radio, we've now added the ability to control the master gain from your radio using AUX3.
                                    Cool beans

Comment

I've been using the Admirals since they came out. I have a question that I probably know the answer to but would like an additional opinion. I usually run the antennas inline but not together, they are 180 degrees, directed away from each other. My question is will it make any difference that they are not in a 90 degree configuration. I have not had any issues but want to be sure I do not run into any.

Bryan
                                      But Crashing is Landing

Comment

I have no scientific proof but I run my antennas (taped in place) at 90*. I’m thinking this will maximize directional coverage and reduce the “cone of silence”.
                                        RX’s with sats I so something similar to get the most coverage from all angles.
                                        always do a range test while having the plane moved in different orientations.

Comment

Working...
                                        X