X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spektrum

I am in the market to get another radio soon and would like some feedback on the spektrum radios. I am looking at the 6 channel radios with voice alerts built in.

I used to be a Futaba guy many moons ago. When I got back into the hobby, I decided to go with Spektrum. Mainly because of the features, ease of programing, and customer service. My wife and I both have the newer versions with the voice timer and alerts. There's no more trying to look at the screen to see how much flight time you have left or guessing if you threw the right switch. The telemetry feature is great too.

You mention looking at 6 channel radios. If you can, consider getting a transmitter with more than 6 channels. It will open up a lot of potential. It's nice to have the option to put each aileron on it's own channel or the nose gear steering on a seperate channel. If you are running a bird with the ailerons on a "Y" and the servo arms are not even, you're stuck with how they are. That can affect how it flys. If you put them on seperate channels, you can sub-trim to be even. Just food for thought looking to the future.

Comment

I have a DX9 and like it a lot. Voice alerts are great. Its reliable, pretty intuitive, relatively easy to program and operate and I've only been in the hobby for 6 months, so I'm no expert. CS is top notch. Whenever I have a question or need help in setting up a new plane, Spektrum Tech Support remains on the phone and walks me through it. I'm very pleased that I chose Spektrum.

Comment

Get the radio you will want for the next 3 to 5 years... What do you want to fly within that time?

A 6 channel can be very limiting as to what options are available for some of the supposedly 6 ch planes that really need 9+.
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Thanks for the info. Do all the Spektrum trans come with voice alerts?

Comment

The DXe, DX6e, and DX8e do not have voice alerts. Here is a link to a comparison chart. In addition, the DX9 and up do.

Comment

I have several Spektrum radios including the IX-12, to me the DX8 Gen2 or better is the best bang for the buck. The DX6 Gen 2 or better is also good if you add the rechargeable battery.
              TiredIron Aviation
              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I've been using my DX-6 for several years. I love it! 6 ch. is all I need. It has voice alerts. Get the liOn battery for it. Doc

Comment

I have Spektrum (DX6 G3, DX8, DX9), Hitec (Aurora 9), FrSky (X10), and Tactic (TTX650) radios. I use them all regularly but I prefer my Spektrum DX9. IMO, the Spektrum DX9 is a great blend of "ease of use" (due to simple menu programming) and ergonomics. If you want something less $$, the DX6 and DX8 are worth a look. Same basic menu structure, programming, and radio just less channels. I do like the sliders on the back of the DX9 which I use to provide granular control over flap positions on my planes. It allows me to fine tune the flap position based on wind which I prefer to a simple 2 way or three way switch which can only provide 2 or 3 flap positions. I personally stay away from spektrum radios with an "e" on the end of the model (i.e. DXe, DX6e) because you lose the dual diversity antenna which is worth the extra money IMO. You also lose "nice to have" features like the voice alerts.

Comment

I may be getting the DX6 for Christmas! I dropped a couple of hints by printing out the pic of the radio :)

Comment

Well, I was in your position kind of, when I returned to the hobby after 20+ years and bought a DX6. Now flying airplanes where I could use at least 1 or 2 more channels, I'm kicking myself for not getting a DX8 or better.
                      Going to have to sell my DX6 gen2 at a loss and do what I should’ve done in the first place. Listen to people who’ve been there and done that. :Crying:

Comment

The DX6 has been an awesome radio for getting back into the hobby. But after only 2 years I am finding that 9 or more would be ideal for all the above reasons. You will rarely "Need" more than 6 channels on most PNP, BNF, ARF's available today but having the option of more channels will come in handy if you stick around long enough and want to expand into different areas of the hobby. As you get into larger and more complex aircraft more channels will start to become essential for brakes, air-brakes/slats, gyro gain adjustments(in-flight), etc. As stated before, the ability to fine tune individual channels is something I desperately wish I could currently do with my larger EDF's but it's not a show stopper.

Get what you can afford that has voice alerts and you will be fine for the time being. Ask around where you fly and at your LHS (if you have one) and you could probably find a good deal on a DX6 or 8 from someone currently stepping up to more channels.

Comment

I would like to get a DX8 but finances prohibit getting one besides I really don't need any more then 6 channels. I have a Gavin 8 channel now and I only use 6 channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
                            I would like to get a DX8 but finances prohibit getting one besides I really don't need any more then 6 channels. I have a Gavin 8 channel now and I only use 6 channels.
                            How do you like the Gavin radio?

EAA# 1366802
                            AMA# 631508

https://vf59.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                              Get the radio you will want for the next 3 to 5 years... What do you want to fly within that time?

A 6 channel can be very limiting as to what options are available for some of the supposedly 6 ch planes that really need 9+.
                              I agree completely, I would suggest a DX8 G2 or better.
                              TiredIron Aviation
                              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                              X