X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Wakeley Jr. View Post
    I bought a Kingfisher from HH. (most of my planes are from HH ) Half way through assembly I found that the tail section was either poorly manufactured or just didn't fit this particular plane. A call to HH was in order so I called HH Service. I explained the problem and was promptly asked if I opened the box.....um yeah. Did I unpack the box …..um yeah. Well because I opened and unpacked the box there would be no help from HH...… um really? I hung up the phone with a giant question mark bouncing around my brain. How could I know there was a problem if I didn't open the damn box? I stated it would be my last HH plane and I would be sure to tell everyone I know into r/c that HH will rob you first then crap all over you and your beloved hobby. Anyone else have this problem?
    Yup, that's pretty stupid of them. I buy most of my HH products from my local hobby shop and I inspect it at the store before I pay for it. The shop staff witness the inspection and there are times when I take every piece of the plane out to have a cursory look. If anything is amiss, I don't take it. The shop has more clout with HH when it comes to rejecting merchandise.
    The shop owner know this and they usually have a quick look in the box before calling me. Anything that HH sells, the LHS can get. They usually send out an order once a week.

Comment

Old guy here. I started with Tower in the mid-70s when Bruce and Jeri were just out of college marketing Monokote in 1 X 3" ads in magazines. Always great service, good products, fair prices. Hobbico and Tower were a good partnership for hobbyists. I have, conservatively speaking, spent at least $30k with them over the decades. Never a disappointment. Since I was flying Futaba, Spektrum and park fliers didn't interest me. I went to helicopters in the late 80s, and switched to JR, mostly for their quality servos. Still fly a 9503 with mostly nitro planes.. I connected with Horizon, my JR provider, (and countless helicopter companies, now out of business). Horizon is a great company, provides great service, and several times serviced my JR radio gear at no charge. Love those guys. A little pricey, but good selection and good stuff. No disappointments there either. About 10 years ago I started with Hobby King. Their Orange receivers, inexpensive accessories, and neat Durafly and other planes have been great too. Motors, ESCs, great bargains. Love the Skipper, their fun little jets, their EFXtras, and others. I have a bunch of Orange receivers and have never had a problem with them. Latest favorite company is Motion R/C. Checking out the flight/build videos is just great stuff. Excellent selection. Three day shipping to me in Florida. Pleasant communications. "Thank you" written on the slips! Great personal service. Love the batteries and free shipping.

Some guys seem to have problems with everyone and everything. Most of us don't ever seem to have issues. Don't be too hard on any of our suppliers. It's a great hobby. Don't take sides, be fair to all of them.

And remember, "It's not personal Sonny, it's business".

Comment

You get paid for that rhetoric? Any company that dismisses their weaknesses back to the consumer is, in my book, a loser company. I have had other problems with them that were handled well.
        What happened here? I don't know. But don't defend a shi**y decision from a big company to me.

Comment

And I'm not your "Sonny".....

Comment

Be nice :Straight-Face:
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by fulltilt View Post

That is sad. I have heard this same thing from other suppliers. I have not done any business with them in a very long time. Not saying i was aa huge fan of Hobbico but sure hated to see Horizon take them over. The answer is to support your local shops as much as possible and not look at always trying to save a penny. We must look at the future now or else......
              It's worse than you think. When they assimilated Tower, it appears that they discontinued any products that there was a Horizon like item. I've hit a brick wall on getting back into the game after pretty much a year's hiatus. Crashed and burned on a Mini Apprentice, so I was going to look for a RxR Flyzone Sensei, since I learned on the original. But because it was Tower's equivalent to the full size Apprentice, it's no longer in production. Fortunately, I still have the "Old Girl" and will try to revive it.

Comment

:Bomb:
                :Smoking:

:Nerd:
                what’s gonna happen next...

Comment

Makes you wonder doesnt it. I like my DX6 G3 and had plans for a DX 8 or 12 Ch in the future. I also have FRSky. They are changing protocols from accst to Access so I might have a good look at that before 'investing' in any more Spektrum gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Grantham Kid View Post
                    Makes you wonder doesnt it. I like my DX6 G3 and had plans for a DX 8 or 12 Ch in the future. I also have FRSky. They are changing protocols from accst to Access so I might have a good look at that before 'investing' in any more Spektrum gear.
                    I'm not sure if you (or several others) have gotten the gist of this thread - that being that MotionRC will no longer carry Spektrum products because of their situation with Horizon Hobby. You are in Australia, if memory serves me correctly and as such, if you could purchase Spektrum from your sources there, it is likely that you will continue to do so. Motion NOT carrying Spektrum should, in no way, have any relationship to the fact that you like your DX6 or your future plans for a DX8 or DX12 OR whether or not FRSky is changing protocols. That decision making process, for you, should remain unaffected by what's going on in the original topic of this thread. I believe that you have many hobby shops in Australia that carry Spektrum as do most hobby shops here in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      I'm not sure if you (or several others) have gotten the gist of this thread - that being that MotionRC will no longer carry Spektrum products because of their situation with Horizon Hobby. You are in Australia, if memory serves me correctly and as such, if you could purchase Spektrum from your sources there, it is likely that you will continue to do so. Motion NOT carrying Spektrum should, in no way, have any relationship to the fact that you like your DX6 or your future plans for a DX8 or DX12 OR whether or not FRSky is changing protocols. That decision making process, for you, should remain unaffected by what's going on in the original topic of this thread. I believe that you have many hobby shops in Australia that carry Spektrum as do most hobby shops here in Canada.
                      +1. One has no effect on the other. Some are reading or assuming way too much about this.

Mike
                      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post

+1. One has no effect on the other. Some are reading or assuming way too much about this.

Mike
                        I think “reading” is the operative word...

Comment

I have both the radios you mention, the DX6 and they DX8 G2, and I love them both. I'm starting to look at it this way.... If HH wants to keep the customer base they have, they need to start taking the customer problems first, regardless if it cost them money. You already have a Spektrum product and you've put in print that you're researching other radios, ….. If Spektrum was smart a few freebies to existing customers might go a long way to restoring customer relations. I know that if I was sent a free hat with the purchase of anything over $50 I'd be tickled. I would feel as though the "company" was damn proud of its products and would reward them with random stuff or at least discounts on further purchases from an existing customer. Just a thought. BTW, there are so many things my Spektrum radios do, I haven't even scratched the surface of its ability.

Comment

In all the years I've been flying Spektrum I've yet to be refused service from Horizon on any Spektrum product every item I've submitted ( personally and for customers) for service has been repaired at no charge. I can't say the same for Futaba or JR. Just my 2 cents and experience. .

Mike
                            \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

I actually have a DX8 (G1) as well but dont use it as the scroll button is so slippery and because it hasnt been used the battery has suffered. Its not as easy to use as the DX6. Only been used about 4-5 times.

Comment

I actually have a DX8 (G1) as well but dont use it as the scroll button is so slippery and because it hasnt been used the battery has suffered. Its not as easy to use as the DX6. Only been used about 4-5 times.
                                There is a place making aluminum replacement scrolling wheel/buttons. Quite an improvement.

I broke the scroll wheel on my DX-18 (the wheels have a weak point) and they wanted me to send the radio in, which costs shipping both ways and then $50 service fee and then the cost of the oem part... and no radio for an estimated 6 weeks due to service dept waiting list... The replacement aluminum part was about $15 and arrived in 3 days.
                                FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

There is a place making aluminum replacement scrolling wheel/buttons. Quite an improvement.

I broke the scroll wheel on my DX-18 (the wheels have a weak point) and they wanted me to send the radio in, which costs shipping both ways and then $50 service fee and then the cost of the oem part... and no radio for an estimated 6 weeks due to service dept waiting list... The replacement aluminum part was about $15 and arrived in 3 days.
                                  LINK PLEASE ;)
                                  Warbird Charlie
                                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

LINK PLEASE ;)
                                    Forgot... I ordered 2

http://www.hawk-creation.com/index.p...roduct_id=3059

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

I find that hard to believe, as on two occasions I have contacted them regarding an airplane I received which had minor issues. The replacement parts were shipped out that day at no charge. Recently with my Piper Cherokee, they even sent a full replacement set of wings, landing gear and even the servos - because the box had been dropped one one corner and had deformed the wing tip. Not broken mind you, just an oops.
                                      Ya might want to try again and start with a “good morning”...
                                      I know this is a business and there should be healthy competition. I buy many models and accessories every year and have bought from MotionRC and Horizon. Both have been outstanding and I am sad to see a rift brewing between them. Healthy competition is great for the consumers but not one like this. I hope things don’t get sour further as it does no one any good.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain MoMo View Post

I know this is a business and there should be healthy competition. I buy many models and accessories every year and have bought from MotionRC and Horizon. Both have been outstanding and I am sad to see a rift brewing between them. Healthy competition is great for the consumers but not one like this. I hope things don’t get sour further as it does no one any good.
                                        There are very few competitors left. Horizon has assimilated many, and the Obama economy killed quite a few as well. It's pretty much MRC and Horizon since both Banana and Hobby King have become shadows of their former selves.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

I think “reading” is the operative word...
                                          Agreed. People most likely just read the title and skimmed over a few posts and let their agendas run wild. Had the title been ............
                                          “What? MotionRC no longer carrying Spektrum?” .............. would we see quite as many “tangents” as we’ve seen?

A new thread could be started ................ “Why I don’t like Spektrum and why Horizon Hobby’s business model sucks.”

Comment

Working...
                                          X