X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
    They have been appropriately dealt with.
    As in bound with wet "green" leather, slathered with honey, and staked out over a Fire Ant hill??

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post
      As in bound with wet "green" leather, slathered with honey, and staked out over a Fire Ant hill??
      Pretty close!
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Thank you.

Comment

• I made a giant mistake buying this Turbo Timber. What a piece of s**t this thing is. I called HH and sent pics when the landing gear broke completely off the first landing. So they sent me a new fuselage. So I switched out everything of the old into the new, and I use that term lightly. Then I called them back and then they sent me new gear and tires. Now the gear is so tight I cant generate enough force to take off. The damn thing just noses over because its too underpowered to break free off the gear. What now? I'm disabled, I cant afford to lose all this money on a plane that WON'T FLY!

Comment

• Has anyone put floats on this plane yet? Maybe I can get it to move on water because it's not fit to fly from land. If it crashes and sinks it'll lfeel just like signing my divorce papers!

Comment

• I've seen them fly with floats off snow/ice. The problem of water is that you have to have enough power and speed to break the water adhesion to lift off. Personally, there were 4 Timbers at our old field that was lumpy, bumpy, crappy grass. None of them had trouble getting moving and start rolling along. There may be something wrong with the power output of your plane. Also, to get "unstuck" and get rolling, do you rev the throttle up suddenly and fully to get it out of it's "divot"? Will the plane be able to accept 4s? The Timber's tires should be big enough to get rolling on grass. Is the prop on solid? It's not on "backwards" is it (ie, it has a front side and a back side)? I had a guy with his prop on backwards. It would move but just barely. Once he turned it around, it blasted off alarmingly fast.

Comment

• A friend fly's his original Timber off water all the time with no problems. That's at 4250 ft which is a big deal during the summer compared to flying at sea level.

Mike
                \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Wakeley Jr. View Post
                  I made a giant mistake buying this Turbo Timber. What a piece of s**t this thing is. I called HH and sent pics when the landing gear broke completely off the first landing. So they sent me a new fuselage. So I switched out everything of the old into the new, and I use that term lightly. Then I called them back and then they sent me new gear and tires. Now the gear is so tight I cant generate enough force to take off. The damn thing just noses over because its too underpowered to break free off the gear. What now? I'm disabled, I cant afford to lose all this money on a plane that WON'T FLY!
                  Nosing over because it is underpowered? Not likely.
                  Gear is so tight can’t generate enough force to take off? That makes no sense. If you mean the wheels do not turn freely, well that is easy enough to solve.
                  I have seen at least half dozen of these at our field flying off the dirt and/or paved runway. It is a good airplane - your does not seem to be set up quite right.

Comment

• You can fly an RC float plane off of damp grass.

And there have been cases of full scale float planes taking off from wet grass.

It is common for a float plane needing service to wait for a day with light rain and land in the grass at an airport. Or to not even bother waiting for the rain.

They have takeoff dollies that are left behind when the airplane lifts off to let the float plane take off from pavement without damaging the floats.

End of season for seaplane in Sweden. Cessna 185 SE-GOZ.Easy way of converting to wheels. Year 2003.The year after the pilot had to make a forced landing due...
                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• I am just seeing this for the first time now and all I am thinking is WOW!

Tom, Motion has always been above board from where I sit and I am excited by the latest MRC releases. IMO you ARE a real threat to them, especially now that they shot themselves in the foot and you have zero reason not to go after their niches.

The first two releases from the new brand are very impressive and I plan to use my voice in the community to support you in all of the ways I am able.

GB

Comment

• Hey Guys,

I just read through most of the 7 pages in this forum as I was searching for information on the use of Servo Speed (other than landing gear and flaps...control surfaces maybe?) on my Spektrum iX-12 transmitter and, reading the submissions, I wanted to add something just to throw into the discussion.

I was a JR guy since 1993 and then they hung it up (was HH at least partially responsible...perhaps or not...frankly, I don't really care as I'm stuck with the outcome...no JR) so I decided to look at Spektrum...and purchased an iX-12 this past January...and I really like it! HH was very good about recently repairing my iX-12 (failed screen) that was still under warranty. They had it working properly and back to me in no time at all. Also, when I look through the Top Gun trophy winners, the majority seem to be flying with Spektrum gear, so it's hard to knock the Spektrum brand.

On the other side, the side that will be of most interest to the owners of HH and MRC; just last weekend I totaled up what I have spent at MRC over the past 4 1/2 years (when I first "discovered" MRC) and it came up to ~$14.5K. I am thinking that I have spent maybe $2K in the same period with HH. I don't have anything against HH, it's just that MRC has such very cool and high quality foam aircraft that are only hours away from flying, that I just can't resist spending money with them. I love warbirds and the quality and reasonable price (to me) that MRC offers is unbeatable in my experience. I first got into RC back in 1978 and plodded along off and on. Finally, a company (MRC) has provided the aircraft that I always dreamed of having (and flying) and it has really made the hobby blossom for me. When I show up at the field, people are really impressed with the mostly Flightline and Freewing aircraft I pull out of the back of my truck...they are big and look great. I don't want to go any larger than the 1600mm series that they have been coming out with lately. That's big enough for me. Actually, on that note, I did buy a Eflite Carbon Z Cessna (83" ws!) from MRC and I still don't have it flying! It's just been a pain for me to assemble and I don't plan on buying any more EFlite aircraft. I had an earlier EFlite Habu and it was kind of a pain too. In the future, I'll likely stick to Flightline and Freewing airplanes...they have everything I like in a scale airplane.

My final thought is that I don't think I am alone with this bias towards MRC. I am always waiting to see what will come out next from them. I even have spares now (2) F-86's, (2) F-4's, (2) F-4U's, (2) Me262's, and (2) P-38's...and that's just the spares! Again, they are just SO cool and, for me now, are affordable. Call me cool, or a fool, but the point of business is to make money and their business plan is succeeding with me. I have spent money with them and will continue to spend money with them. MRC is just a great company and I hope they keep their commitment to producing current and historical military aircraft, quality, fantastic customer service, and extremely fast delivery. As long as that continues, they will be getting the great percentage of my hobby dollars.

Now back to "servo speed" use...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
                          Also motion, if you really want to freak out Horizon, open up a channel for LHE stores to sell your planes
                          Now, I like that idea. I'd love buying Freewing, Flightline and Admiral stuff at my LHS.

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post

Now, I like that idea. I'd love buying Freewing, Flightline and Admiral stuff at my LHS.
                            I'd love to be able to offer Motions stuff but profit margins are really thin on all this. I see why they don't.

Mike
                            \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by guylookingup View Post
                              Hey Guys,

I just read through most of the 7 pages in this forum as I was searching for information on the use of Servo Speed (other than landing gear and flaps...control surfaces maybe?) on my Spektrum iX-12 transmitter and, reading the submissions, I wanted to add something just to throw into the discussion.

I was a JR guy since 1993 and then they hung it up (was HH at least partially responsible...perhaps or not...frankly, I don't really care as I'm stuck with the outcome...no JR) so I decided to look at Spektrum...and purchased an iX-12 this past January...and I really like it! HH was very good about recently repairing my iX-12 (failed screen) that was still under warranty. They had it working properly and back to me in no time at all. Also, when I look through the Top Gun trophy winners, the majority seem to be flying with Spektrum gear, so it's hard to knock the Spektrum brand.

On the other side, the side that will be of most interest to the owners of HH and MRC; just last weekend I totaled up what I have spent at MRC over the past 4 1/2 years (when I first "discovered" MRC) and it came up to ~$14.5K. I am thinking that I have spent maybe $2K in the same period with HH. I don't have anything against HH, it's just that MRC has such very cool and high quality foam aircraft that are only hours away from flying, that I just can't resist spending money with them. I love warbirds and the quality and reasonable price (to me) that MRC offers is unbeatable in my experience. I first got into RC back in 1978 and plodded along off and on. Finally, a company (MRC) has provided the aircraft that I always dreamed of having (and flying) and it has really made the hobby blossom for me. When I show up at the field, people are really impressed with the mostly Flightline and Freewing aircraft I pull out of the back of my truck...they are big and look great. I don't want to go any larger than the 1600mm series that they have been coming out with lately. That's big enough for me. Actually, on that note, I did buy a Eflite Carbon Z Cessna (83" ws!) from MRC and I still don't have it flying! It's just been a pain for me to assemble and I don't plan on buying any more EFlite aircraft. I had an earlier EFlite Habu and it was kind of a pain too. In the future, I'll likely stick to Flightline and Freewing airplanes...they have everything I like in a scale airplane.

My final thought is that I don't think I am alone with this bias towards MRC. I am always waiting to see what will come out next from them. I even have spares now (2) F-86's, (2) F-4's, (2) F-4U's, (2) Me262's, and (2) P-38's...and that's just the spares! Again, they are just SO cool and, for me now, are affordable. Call me cool, or a fool, but the point of business is to make money and their business plan is succeeding with me. I have spent money with them and will continue to spend money with them. MRC is just a great company and I hope they keep their commitment to producing current and historical military aircraft, quality, fantastic customer service, and extremely fast delivery. As long as that continues, they will be getting the great percentage of my hobby dollars.

Now back to "servo speed" use...
                              Thanks for the support! I would say how much I have spent since I started working for MRC back in 2013 but I am afraid my wife would find out and file for divorce!

My YouTube RC videos:
                              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Hahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post

Thanks for the support! I would say how much I have spent since I started working for MRC back in 2013 but I am afraid my wife would find out and file for divorce!

Ahhh...the trick is to get her into something that costs money too!! My wife is into sewing/quilting/etc. and that $14.5K is only a little more than the cost of her latest machine...but she's supportive of this interest of mine. There are other much worse things that we could all be doing with our money. I am just finishing the decaling up of my 2nd P-38 (this one the Pacific Silver "Battle Axe) and I am also having fun learning about that particular P-38.

To add to my previous post, I stopped by a local hobby store (just had their 1 year anniversary) for the first time yesterday and, for rc aircraft, it was pretty much entirely EFlite (which I believe is an exclusive HH brand). I really wanted to buy an airplane to support them, but there just wasn't anything in their stock that appealed to me...and they had a good number of aircraft. So, I just bought some tools instead, but not enough to support them like I would want to support them. I'm almost surprised that there are still hobby stores around these days. As MikeT just posted, the margins are really thin, at least for these foam aircraft. So, seems like a tough market to be in for the local shop, but I hope I am not seeing the complete picture and it's not as bleak as it appears to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by skippykix View Post
                                    Hey Tom, Will you guys still sell FMS products? I really hate to hear how Horizon is treating others in this hobby but you can kind of see it in how they treat people at flying events.
                                    Seeing that HH bought Diamond Hobbies who was the NA distributor for FMS , hence the reason for HH to buy them out so they no control FMS imports it would seem doubtful to see any new FMS planes and parts at Motion RC. However, for those who do not want to deal with HH you can still buy FMS planes from FMS directly or RC Castle

Comment

• I just found this thread tiring to find out what has been going on with MRC's Radio selection. It is kind of messed up that HH has resorted to such dirty practices because they simply feel threatened. Before MRC started to push for new and innovative models in particular EDF's E-flite had gotten a bit too comfortable with their stale and boring lineup of models. Now E-flight has been forced to step up their game to stay competitive.
                                      As for other Radio options I think the Jumper T16 line is the best. I have also found out that Frsky has also being feeling threatened by how good the Jumper T16 is that it has pressured vendors into not selling the Jumper T16 or else they will no longer be allowed to sell Frsky into selling their products.
                                      So it seems that HH and Frsky just shot them selves in their own foot because I will not buy from companies with such bullying practices.
                                      Below are two video that explains why the Jumper T16 is so good and once explaining the Frsky tactics.

Comment

Working...
                                      X