Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiver Installation and Top Brands

Hello everyone,

I have been flying RC airplanes for about 6 years now. I finally got to maiden my Flightline FW-190 this past weekend. Early during the maiden flight, maybe about 100 yards out (I am merely guessing here but she was out towards the end of our field), I lost all controls over the plane and she started rolling and headed towards the ground. Thankfully I was able to regain control, but initially she did not respond to any input. Flew her around until my timer was close to the end and I landed her. Successful flight. I go up for a second time and in the same exact spot at my field, I lost control of her again where she did not respond to any radio input. This time I was not so lucky as she nose dived into the grass. Thankfully the grass is tall and thick and some minor repair with Foam tac and a new prop, she should be good to go again for flight. I have flown several of my other airplanes at my field and never had any issues like this one. It seems that this was definitely due to loss of radio transmission between my Spektrum DX8 Gen2 radio and my RX.

I was using a Spektrum AR6200 RX WITH A SATELLITE EXTENSION! How in the world did I lose radio communication to her?? I specifically used a RX with a satellite to avoid this catastrophe and I made sure I oriented my antennas 90° to each other. I did hear from other pilots that this Spektrum AR6200 uses DSM2 which is outdated now. Safe to say I will not use this RX ever again. I have never ever had any issues with Spektrum and I think their products are of good quality.

What can I possibly do to avoid this in the future? How do people feel about the Admiral RX's offered by Motion RC? Nothing upsets me more than a crash that is completely out of my control. This was only the second flight and nothing upsets me more than a beautiful airplane that is not so beautiful anymore. I did also buy an Admiral RX600 6ch RX to put in my FW-190 for the next flight after her repairs.
    Happy flying!

This is my first post here, I am an old guy been flying since 1990. And I know I'll probably get all kinds of grief but I have always owned Futaba and never once can I remember a radio problem.
    And I would say I am an average user. Have flown glow and electric. Crashed a bunch. Their servos seem to last and last. Same for the Receivers and Transmitters.

Comment

Several years ago, there were a large number of poorly made AR6200 clones that hit the market through various discount sellers. There have been several crashes attributed to them.

Sticking with DSMX is likely a better choice.

The Admiral line of recievers are made by Lemon(not a bad thing). Both brands have a very good reputation.

Comment

Hello Chrissy and welcome to the Squawk.
        A couple quick pointers for future reference regarding your recent issue.
        Yes the DSM2 protocol has a well documented history of issues and is the reason Spektrum evolved/developed the DSMX protocol.
        The Admiral Rx's are branding of Lemon Rx for MRC with specific upgrades as required by MRC.
        Lemons have a long standing positive reputation for providing DSMX protocol Rx's without the Spektrum bloated pricing.
        Any signal loss by the DSM Rx will result in a flashing of it's solid red power light. Next time you think you've had radio signal loss, check for the flashing red for verification.
        And lastly, antenna orientation described as 90 degrees is a misnomer. More accurately is 90 degrees in different planes.
        In other words you want them at 90 degrees but one in a horizontal and the other in a vertical (usually the horizontal is pointed fore or aft and not lateral or sideways)
        Both in a horizontal at 90 doesn't provide the necessary radial coverage.;)
        Hope this helps ya out :)
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

As said, the 6200 had its problems. Spektrum quickly replaced those. Sellers still with stock, blew them out the door cheap. Also, whenever you are dealing with a new RX, you should always do the necessary range check. I drive the plane out to an area where there’s no activity, hit the button to reduce the power and see if the control surfaces work. Or you can leave the plane at the bench and walk away from it about 100 feet and do the range test. You should do the range test with the plane pointed in different directions, so walking away from it means you’ll do a lot of walking. Driving it out there, you can always turn it with the TX on full power and then reduce the power (range test mode) and do it again. The problem you had with the 6200 should have showed up with this range test.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers, everyone. I honestly never performed a range test on any RX's for any of my planes before. But then again, when I first started flying I never bothered with CG either. After taking a break from the hobby and getting back into it earlier this year and now that I am a bit older and wiser :) I have been a lot more careful and doing all of my necessary pre-flight checks (but never once thought to do a range test).

We will see how she is once I get my replacement parts and new Admiral RX. Thank you again for all of your expertise. It is good to have the RC pilots around who have a surplus of knowledge. Us younger pilots need that LOL
            Happy flying!

Comment

I believe that most, if not all, AMA and MAAC (Canada) sanctioned fields have rules that dictate that a range test must be performed on all planes that you bring to the field. Only a range test is recommended on the first flight of the day for each plane. Like you, I never did range testing either, thinking that if they sell a "full range" receiver, it must be OK. Was I surprised when I did a range test on one of the first Lemon receivers with the dual "diversity" antennas, no satellite. It failed the range test at less than 50 feet. I continued to use that receiver as a "park flyer" unit, on small planes that don't fly very far away. On full power, they're good for about 200 to 300 feet, without "dead spots". I haven't bought anything with the diversity antennas since, unless they also come with a satellite antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                I believe that most, if not all, AMA and MAAC (Canada) sanctioned fields have rules that dictate that a range test must be performed on all planes that you bring to the field. Only a range test is recommended on the first flight of the day for each plane. Like you, I never did range testing either, thinking that if they sell a "full range" receiver, it must be OK. Was I surprised when I did a range test on one of the first Lemon receivers with the dual "diversity" antennas, no satellite. It failed the range test at less than 50 feet. I continued to use that receiver as a "park flyer" unit, on small planes that don't fly very far away. On full power, they're good for about 200 to 300 feet, without "dead spots". I haven't bought anything with the diversity antennas since, unless they also come with a satellite antenna.
                The range test "rule" is not really a rule, but a recommended practice and is often ignored since shortly after 2.4 ghz became popular.
                FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

The cause of loss of communication between TX and RX in 2.4 ghz systems almost always gets traced to a problem in supplying adequate power to the RX.

I tracked a DOA Lemon RX's issue down to a bad solder joint in the RX.
                  I just went through having issues trying to reinstall an RX in a 5 year old Dynam P-51 that turned out to be a bad connector on the ESC-RX wire. (failed after 5 years...)
                  Previuosly I have tracked issues to low current output BECs overheating and thermal shutdown, bad RX system power switches and other issues all outside the RX in Spektrum DSMX and DSM2 installations.

I found almost all issues in ground checks before first flight of the models. I put a digital voltmeter on the system and watch the voltage response to rapidly moving both sticks. That will point out most issues.

On a used model I bought, I tracked strange issues down to mixing Hitec HV servos with older Futaba 3003 servos and a no-label 9 gram servo, using a 5v regulator that when tested with 6.0V applied, went up in smoke. The HV servos don't work right on less than 6 v....
                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

The range test "rule" is not really a rule, but a recommended practice and is often ignored since shortly after 2.4 ghz became popular.
                    That depends on the field (club) you belong to. I didn't say it was an AMA or MAAC "rule". I said that for MAAC sanctioned fields (clubs), those clubs have implemented this practice as a "rule". I have friends who fly in one of the Phoenix area fields and this is a club "rule". I used to fly at a local club here and it was a club "rule".

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Goodman
                      Receiver installation and top brands information is here. All those who are waiting for the receiver installation they can make more best dissertation writers and that is ever important to through it to the brands who are at top.
                      Your link is a BLANK page.

Comment

Your link is a BLANK page.
                        XV........... the link is blank because it was a SPAM and I deleted it per my moderator judgment and notified the poster of that reason.
                        He just joined at 3:17am and the first post was very questionable as noted by the unusual grammar.
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

XV........... the link is blank because it was a SPAM and I deleted it per my moderator judgment and notified the poster of that reason.
                          He just joined at 3:17am and the first post was very questionable as noted by the unusual grammar.
                          Haha! Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by jwalk2c View Post
                            This is my first post here, I am an old guy been flying since 1990. And I know I'll probably get all kinds of grief but I have always owned Futaba and never once can I remember a radio problem.
                            And I would say I am an average user. Have flown glow and electric. Crashed a bunch. Their servos seem to last and last. Same for the Receivers and Transmitters.
                            Hi all also a first time Post and have flown RC from when it was only ONE channel. So for the last 40 years have used Futaba ONLY , that is until someone gave me a Model and TX/RX by Spektrum {DX6e} . Well it all worked OK but far to much rubbish in a beginners Radio and why have satellites ? Using it only for cheap Fomies bought a Admiral 6 channel RX from Motion ,that was OK so sent for another, however while it would BIND OK after switching off it LOST its BIND and info .After 3 Emails to Motion with NO reply , will be selling Spektrum gear shortly . Just proves " you get what you pay fore" not that Futaba is much more expensive ! Regards to all over the " :Pond"

Comment

FAYHOP 330 Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Fayhop 330! I'm sorry to hear about your messages not being answered. May I please ask you to send me in PM what your service ticket numbers were when you emailed our tech support team three times? I'd like to forward them to the service manager for his review to determine why they were unanswered. Typically all emails are responded to within 1 business day. This applies to both the US and EU service teams.

Thanks,
                              Alpha
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Not sure ths is the right page for it, however i will like to share this :
                                in a hurry up time to replace with something my beloved dx9 i had the opportunity to pick up the NX10 ..
                                i’ll skip all the bla bla bla , this happen just about 10 min out the box .
                                now , finally, many pilots will understand why i’m so mad for years with spektrum and HH .

- feel and look more like a toy-grade radio

-chip plastic buttons ( very chip )

-glitches to fix

And that’s why is priced 499$ .

lucky me i find out few of the costumer service at motion are using Futaba and you’ll find this radio on motion web aswell. Sound like the 16 channels calling my name .
                                here few pics of frozen screen and chip material on the radio .
                                that’s why being few years wishing Admiral showing up with a bad a$& radio ....
                                So many planes so many recivers , but for now radioless

Comment

Sorry, here the pics. You’ll be the judge
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Griffon Wings View Post
                                    Sorry, here the pics. You’ll be the judge
                                    Very true. I have the old JR Radio. It feels like a solid piece of machinery in my hands. By God, I have Big Hands! I break stuff like these new transmitters.

Comment

Haha! Keep up the good work.
                                      OMG. We have a spy on the hobbysquawk page! I've been had... Wow. took me a minute. ;)

Comment

don't worry "Bread" your secret is safe with me... ;)

Comment

Working...
                                        X