You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the purpose of a satellite receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the purpose of a satellite receiver?

Greetings. This is probably a dumb question, considering I've been flying RC for 30+ years... I see that some folks are using a small satellite receiver in their aircraft that plugs into the main receiver.
    I've been flying mainly Futable Tx and Rx forever and have never used a satellite receiver on any plane no matter how big or small. What the purpose?

Remote receivers are mitigation for the donut holes shaped wave typically leaving the transmitter. It helps to ensure that at least one antenna on the plane is receiving signal.

They also provide backup reception for the possibility of battery, carbon fiber, or even a mess of wires blocking signal to the main receiver when the plane is at certain orientations with respect to the transmitter.

Remotes should be placed so that their antenna are 90degrees in orientation and not of the same horiz/vert axis of the main antenna.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. So it's just added security to avoid signal loss. Are there specific receivers that you'd really always want to use a satellite with? As mentioned in my initial post, I've never had any signal interference or loss using just a standard receiver.

Comment

Some receivers require at least one remote to be connected to either bind or initialize the esc. Not all park flyer receivers can have remotes.

It's not really a question of whether or not the receiver needs a remote or not. It is more about the model and your sensitivity to risk. A big investment in a model might mean you are interested in redundancy. A model like the FMS yak 130 might need the remote to prevent signal loss from the battery blocking the antennaa

​​​​​For me, if I'm investing $400+ in a plane, I'm not going to cheap out and put a $50 parkflyer receiver. For really expensive planes I would consider strongly using a power safe receiver where both signal and power have multiple redundent backups.

Comment

Thanks again for the feed back!

Comment

Spektrum RXs are equipped with Satellite receiver ports. Also Orange RXs will accept the Spektrum Satellites.

There are those that bind their RXs and Satellite RXs but only use the Satellite RX in small racing quads etc due to their size/weight. Once bound you don't need the main RX.

Comment

Not all Spektrum RXs have the satellite ports.

Orange also makes their own satellites.

The main RX is the one you plug the servos into... You always need that one.
              Some Spekrum RXs require at least one satellite or they will refuse to bind. These will not function without a satellite.
              Not sure of the current "Pwer Safe" RXs. I have some older DMX and DSM2 power safe RXs. They require at least 2 satellite RXs. I do not believe there is a "receiver" actually in these RXs, just the power distribution and logic systems. These will take up to 4 satellites.

If you bind an RX with the satellite all of the older Spekrum RXs I have (3+ years old) will see it as an error for you to not have the satellite plugged in and will refuse to function. You won't even take off.
              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
              X