X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning off AS3X in a Spectrum receiver

Posting this for a friend that says he's too old for the internet...... He doesn't like the new safe technologies (I use that term generically) and wants to know if you can turn off the AS3X in a Spectrum receiver. If so, how?

Yes, it can be done. The easiest way (and possibly the only way) is to get the smart phone APP and the patch cable that goes between the phone and the RX. Horizon Hobby has a whole series of videos showing all aspects of programming the AS3X. Once you're in the APP, you can turn all the stabilizers to ZERO on every page and you're done. I think you can also connect to a laptop. In this post, you can see what the APP page looks like:
    http://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/ele...6653#post46653

Oh, that patch cable is a bit pricey - around $20.00. So find a fellow flyer who has one.

Sorry, I should have mentioned ................... depending on which AS3X RX you have, it may not be altered. For example some of the ones that come on their Sukoi or Corsair, is nearly impossible to go in and change anything. They are somewhat proprietary to those models and Spektrum doesn't want you messing with them. The ones you buy as "stand-alones" usually can be re-programmed. Check the Horizon site for that model of plane and/or RX to find out if it can be fiddled with.

Comment

The mobile app is the only way, I have disabled it on all of my BNF planes including the E-Flite 1200 Corsair. I'm still looking for a way to disable the UMX AS3X receivers.
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll pass this along to him. Given his hesitancy with the internet, I think the app will be out of the question for him. I'll suggest he seek someone who can help him with it.

Comment

Originally posted by MCO3024 View Post
          Thanks guys. I'll pass this along to him. Given his hesitancy with the internet, I think the app will be out of the question for him. I'll suggest he seek someone who can help him with it.
          There's a quick fix for this. Just get a Spektrum type RX. The Lemon 6 channel RX is very reasonably priced and is as good as any Spektrum product.

Comment

bit late to the party, but to go off XViper2's comments.... if the receiver is just an AS3X unit then yes, the gyro can be turned off. If, however, the plane has SAFE then it can't, it's a completely different firmware in the receiver and it can't be adjusted/disabled.

Comment

So on the AR636 the gains can be turned down to 0's But the 636A (the BNF models) cannot?
              AMA-1162306
              With more planes than should be legal

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fast4u2c View Post
                So on the AR636 the gains can be turned down to 0's But the 636A (the BNF models) cannot?
                Well ................................ not quite. Like said before, only if it has SAFE can it NOT be messed with much. I've taken the 636A from a Radian XL sailplane (no SAFE) and completely zeroed the gains and used it in another plane. AS3X and SAFE are related but not the same thing. AS3X is the stability (gyro) part of the device. SAFE is the "recovery" part that is brought into play when the pilot is in panic mode and needs to save the plane. In such cases, the gyro (or GPS in some models) is required for recovery (or auto balance), but the recovery feature is NOT required for the gyro to work. Also associated with some SAFE parameters are bank and pitch angle limiters (and to a lesser extent, yaw angles). These need the gyro aspects to work. Insofar as recovery and angle limiters, one can work without the other, but both need the gyros.

Comment

Working...
                X