X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, another stupid question

Back when I last flew (the stone age it seems like), the radios / receivers used crystals and had frequencies assigned to them (i.e. Channel 46, 48, 56, etc) but since the conversion to 2.4GHz, if I am flying next to another person, how do I know that their radio won't interfere with mine? I didn't see any channel assignment listed on my radio box (but then again, I haven't dug into it yet because I don't want the excitement causing my to build the airplane in record time and doing a lousy job plus I am trying to teach my son how to be patient, etc). Thank you in advance.

Hi Medic1972.
    With a 2.4GHz your good to go!! You're right assigning frequencies is a thing of the past, nowadays the radio and the receiver take care of all that. There is a lot of info on the web, for instance....

This might help you out

Welcome to the forum!

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

Hi medic1972

Yes as grossman56 said today in 2.4 radios their is no frequence that you have to worry about any more. Their are a possible 99 channels that it can auto switch to if it encounters a problem. So If someone lets say is out in the parking lot turns their radio on and your flying already his radio will see that channel as being used an it will go find another channel in less then a blink of an eye. The old crystal days are gone now much nicer and the radios seem smoother today as well. Good luck and hope the build goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by bradl4648 View Post
        Hi medic1972

Yes as grossman56 said today in 2.4 radios their is no frequence that you have to worry about any more. Their are a possible 99 channels that it can auto switch to if it encounters a problem. So If someone lets say is out in the parking lot turns their radio on and your flying already his radio will see that channel as being used an it will go find another channel in less then a blink of an eye. The old crystal days are gone now much nicer and the radios seem smoother today as well. Good luck and hope the build goes well.

That statement isn't exactly true. I belong to (2) clubs that members still use the solid 72Mhz freq.. Both clubs have a freq. board for 72Mhz pilots to indicate their freq. with a Freq. Pin w/pilots' name & Ch being used. In addition, several of us have the Hobbico Freq. Tester to insure the ch indicated is correct or in doubt by the pilot. No incidents have taken place since I've been a member. Both clubs monitor 72Mhz users to insure that 2 pilots on the same ch are not in conflict. Many pilots, including myself, definitely feel that the 72Mhz freq. is a much more solid link & has better range than the 2.4. although use both. As far as "radios seem smoother today", that's pure bunk. I have yet to hold a radio that feels anywhere near the solid metal encased JR's I have for rugged reliability, smoothness, & superb quality components that were used "back-in-the-day". All my JR's have stood the test of time unlike all the plastic junk being produced today. Ok...I'm done.....flame away.

Denny
        *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
        *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

I have an ancient 4 channel Futaba and a World Expert 7 channel that are 72mhz, so you're saying I can still use them? These are great transmitters that I've had packed away for years. I'll need new Nicads and they should be good to go. And I won't have to be worried about getting shot down by the new radios? I guess I just assumed they weren't usable today. Can the old receivers be powered by bec?

Comment

yes you can use the old school 72mhz radios and in fact I see light sabers waving in the air at air shows. They are still useable and to my knowledge the FAA or AMA has not outlawed them yet. Now that I say that It will be now LoL. But I will tell you getting those receivers or crystals is almost obsolete. Anyway to keep the cost down and still enoy this hobby I say go for it man have fun!

Comment

I guess I will throw my two cents in the pond.

The old 72 Mhz radios had a range of a few miles, the 2.4 have a range of about 3000 ft, or 2/3 of a mile. So there is that. The old 72 mhz radios were encased in metal(mostly), and you had a nice, solid radio in your hands. So there is that as well. If someone accidentally(or a kid got hold of) turned on a 72 mhz radio on the same or neighboring channel that you were using, You could kiss that plane goodbye. The long antennas on the receivers(and fragile crystals) and the extendable antenna for the transmitter were burdensome, where as the built in antennas of the new radios are more convenient. The frequency hopping spread spectrum technology makes interference, at least from another 2.4 ghz radio, virtually impossible, though by FCC rules, it has to accept any interference from another source. So that's two for 2.4 ghz.

What it boils down to, is that neither is better than the other, and both are usable and attainable. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Old school guys like their 72's and new school guys like the 2.4's, and vice versa, and mixed all around. Is there a wrong choice?

I say, grab a plane and a radio and lets go fly!!!

Comment

I disagree with the limited range of 2.4G; given a proper installation, they have been tested to over 1.5 miles. There are issues if there are trees around, though. One thing to be careful of, not all 2.4G radios use spread spectrum. Some of the cheap ones that came with RTF models, and some early FlySky radios, were single-channel, and even the DSM2 used only two. If a cheap radio, or even another DSM2, is switched on some distance away, then the operator approaches your radio, there can be interference. So, make sure your radio is a true spread-spectrum, if you buy used. The 72Mhz also can have multi-path issues if walls or overhead wires are near, but do much better flying around trees.

Comment

I don't quite understand what sense it makes to have a radio capable of 3 mile range when you wouldn't be able to see it anyhow?

Roy B.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer108 View Post
                    I don't quite understand what sense it makes to have a radio capable of 3 mile range when you wouldn't be able to see it anyhow?

Roy B.
                    FPV
                    TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Of course, flying FPV beyond useful visual range is against AMA rules, so you would not be insured by them (assuming you are a member).

Comment

Why would you need their insurance? Their policy is secondary to home owners. If you crash and do damage you still have to use your home owners no matter if you are AMA or not or even AMA sanctioned site. AMA is always secondary.
                        Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Thank you all for your responses, you have all been a great help with my questions.

Comment

Originally posted by bradl4648 View Post
                            yes you can use the old school 72mhz radios and in fact I see light sabers waving in the air at air shows. They are still useable and to my knowledge the FAA or AMA has not outlawed them yet. Now that I say that It will be now LoL. But I will tell you getting those receivers or crystals is almost obsolete. Anyway to keep the cost down and still enoy this hobby I say go for it man have fun!
                            Again, not quite true. Just a bit more fodder for those who may consider using their older 72Mhz radios. First, there are many 72Mhz Rx's still available & generally can be had for $35 or less online on the various RC forums, E-Bay, or RC flea markets. The same can be said for the Rx Xtals as new ones are still listed on E-Bay. Next, some manufacturers produced 72Mhz synthesized Tx modules & ScanSelect Rx's that eliminated the need for Xtals. I have JR synthesized Tx modules & ScanSelect Rx's & are quite handy as I can very quickly change ch at the field if another pilot is on the same freq. as the plane I want to fly. Also, other manufacturers produced synthesized Tx modules & Rx's for their radios such as Futaba & Hitec. Lastly, & probably forgotten by many, is the fact that the older radios had an RF output of 750mw as does my JR Computer8, Century VII's, & even my Hitec Challenger 720. That was also a factor with the better range w/72. My JR10X has a 200mw output as does most of the older Tx's manufactured for USA use, & you may find that many of the new radios coming from China only have a 100mw output which definitely shortens the range. Anyway, I wanted to give some reassurances that it is still ok to use 72Mhz even if it is at home, or a place you can fly if a particular RC club bans 72. Ok....I'm done.

Denny
                            *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
                            *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

Thanks for the input yorkiepap I did not realise you can still get the receiver and crystals I just have not seen any on the internet sites I look at my bad and thanks for correcting me. Anyways I still say if you have it why not use it enjoy the flight is all that matters.

Comment

Working...
                              X