You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking About Swapping To Futaba From Spektrum. Anyone Made This Move?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking About Swapping To Futaba From Spektrum. Anyone Made This Move?

I'm sure there's a few of you that have made this move. I run Futaba on my surface stuff and love it, but Futaba's air Tx seem very difficult to program. I have a Spektrum DX6 that I really enjoy, but needing more channels. Need more than 9 ch but don't need 20. Was actually considering the DX20, then I read about a recall. I also keep reading about people having issues/bad luck with Spektrum Receivers.

So my question to you Futaba guys. How long does it take to get comfortable with the programming of the Futaba? I've played around with their 14 Ch radio at my LHS. The terminology and the way you navigate through the menus was so foreign to me.

Any info guys will be greatly appreciated!

I've always had nothing but 4 and 6 channel Futaba Radio's in the past, never really dug into the programming on the 6 before having to put the hobby aside. Getting back into the hobby after 15 years I came across the 14SG and purchased it. First off the Futaba 14SG manual is terrible, navigating the menus initially is confusing to remember what's where and the nomenclature Futaba uses can leave you scratching your head. The only saving grace to this Radio is an E-Book that is available on Amazon that is clearly written and explains every function of the radio, I'm not sure if the books explanations are cross platform for all Futaba's or just specific to the 14SG. The E-book not only explains everything in simple terms but the last several chapters walk you through multiple airplane setups that you can follow for your plane or program into the radio just to delete. The practice of programming and deleting different setups in my spare time has gotten me very comfortable with the navigation of the menu's and endless functions of the 14SG.

Search "Futaba 14SG - Programming for Fixed Wing Aircraft" written by Malcolm Holt on Amazon for $7.00, the only downfall of the E-book is that it must be viewed on a phone, computer or tablet/reader.

Comment

I have a Futaba J8 and really like it and I have a Spektrum DX8 because so many planes are BNF now, I have had brownouts with both but I have two Tactic 850s that I use most of the time and have never had an issue with them. I'm now thinking about going to a FrSky 2.4G 16CH Taranis X9D Plus.
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

G'day WAY BAD,
        I have used a Futaba 8J for a couple of years and have had zero problems with it.
        I find it easy to program and has the ability to assign any of the switches to any channel.
        Binding the receiver is as simple as it gets and receivers are about $60. [depending where you live]
        I have never had any issues with brown outs but that is not to say I never will.:Cool:
        The programming is simple and easy to follow and it has a twenty model memory.
        Inputting mixes is very simple and there are a lot of features that make it a good radio.
        Programming is a case of sitting down with the manual and working through it paragraph by paragraph and even down to sentence by sentence if you have to. By the time I had done two receiver installations I was doing it all by memory. The 14SG is a little trickier but the same principle applies. Do not over read the manual and do not think that it means to do that instead of this. That is a mistake that many make. And of course, take the manual to the field with you in case you get a case of the forgets.
        The 8J fits nicely into the hands and has the normal adjustments of spring tension, throttle ratchet option and stick height that is standard on all good radios.It is just a good all round radio at a very good price for an eight channel.
        The 10J is very much like the 8J but has telemetry feed back available.
        The funny part is, the 10J came onto the market about six months after I purchased my 8J. Guess what I would have purchased. However, I can not fault my 8J in any way shape or form and do I really want someone in my ear telling what to do all day?:)
        Regards and respect
        Daryl

Comment

I really appreciate the input guys!JetDr330, thank you very much for the ebook info! That's what I was really looking for, was a simple break down of Futaba's nomenclature. That's the biggest draw back to the 14SG IMO.

Comment

Hello WAY BAD,

I have flown JR, Futaba, and Spektrum systems in my many years of flying between personal flying, test flying other people's aircraft, test flying unmanned aircraft for my school's engineering department (lead test pilot for ERAU, not too bad for being a student) and other stuff that pops up along the way, so here are my observations at least between Futaba and Spektrum.

With Futaba, I've flown the the 7C and 14SG system, and while the programming isn't great and could be better, my only gripe was the 14SG scroll wheel being 50-50 for actually scrolling since it didn't seem to read well for me, but I've never had any issues with reliability with the systems I've used and overall I've probably pushed their range limits further than I should've for the unmanned stuff.

With Spektrum being the system I started 2.4 out on, I has zero issues with DSM2/DSMX right up until I bought their DX6 G2 in 2014. With that I had two total losses and three aircraft damaged badly from total lockouts. Thinking it was a bad radio (since they had decided to re-release the DX6 with diversity antennas) I got a DX9 black edition.
            Sadly I've had one total lockout since I got it in July with which the aircraft was destroyed, I had the whole thing erase itself once, and the AR9020 that came with it failed after 20 flights.

I think something happened with Spektrum from 2014 onward given all the issues I've had recently that never happened before, so I'd advise against getting something like an 8 or a 9 since I've lost trust in them.

If you were to get a Futuba, I'd get the 14SG since it's an excellent radio and it has an excellent feel to it, or you could wait for the new 16SG to come out, and maybe it'll have a better user interface (I hope!)

Good luck with your decision!

Comment

I know of several that has had a signal with Spectrum or lockout which ever there was still a down plane. I think Spectrum is one of the most poplar and I too have thought about getting one only for some of BNF planes that's available. I myself use Futaba's little brother Tactic.
              Still Learning:D

Comment

Originally posted by WAY BAD View Post
                I'm sure there's a few of you that have made this move. I run Futaba on my surface stuff and love it, but Futaba's air Tx seem very difficult to program. I have a Spektrum DX6 that I really enjoy, but needing more channels. Need more than 9 ch but don't need 20. Was actually considering the DX20, then I read about a recall. I also keep reading about people having issues/bad luck with Spektrum Receivers.

So my question to you Futaba guys. How long does it take to get comfortable with the programming of the Futaba? I've played around with their 14 Ch radio at my LHS. The terminology and the way you navigate through the menus was so foreign to me.

Any info guys will be greatly appreciated!
                I made the switch from Spektrum to Futaba several years ago. Lost my giant scale P 51 to a brown out with the Spectrum! Both Horizon and Tower are here where I live. So we have plenty of both systems "experts" here at our local field. After listening to both sides, I decided to make the switch. It did take a while to get used to the programing change, But it wasn't real tough. The biggest difference is the expo is just the opposite from each other. So putting in a negative number increases expo with futaba. That's something that I've personally seen cause a crash. A fellow pilot forgot about it, and didn't realize his controls were now hypersensitive until his plane cleared the ground! I'm currently using the 10cg. I plan on picking up the new 16 later this year, or early next year? I've been told by a team futaba member that the 16 will have a lot of the programing and touch screen features of their 18 has, but at a cost that some of us sport pilots can afford. Est price was 699. Hope something I've said here helps you?

Jim

Comment

Talking about which radio brand is better is like the dog pile rhetoric of Ford/GM/Chrysler LOL
                  I'd venture to say more airframes are lost due to dumb thumb pilot errors in significant overwhelming numbers than to radio brownouts and failures.;)
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                    I have a Futaba J8 and really like it and I have a Spektrum DX8 because so many planes are BNF now, I have had brownouts with both but I have two Tactic 850s that I use most of the time and have never had an issue with them. I'm now thinking about going to a FrSky 2.4G 16CH Taranis X9D Plus.
                    Tirediron, just the other day me and a friend from the club were talking about radios and he said he's got just about every kind of radio there is and uses several for different things from planes to quads, but he said that FrSky he thought was his favorite.
                    Still Learning:D

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post

Tirediron, just the other day me and a friend from the club were talking about radios and he said he's got just about every kind of radio there is and uses several for different things from planes to quads, but he said that FrSky he thought was his favorite.
                      Even with the upgraded gimbals the FrSky just isn't as smooth as the others.
                      TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I LIKE FORDS LOL :P
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I have used Spektrum for years with no problems. My Dx-6 is absolutely fabulous! Doc

Comment

I've flown Futaba and Spektrum and a lot of others.

Main thing about changing from one 2.4 ghz system to another is you have to get all new receivers.

Futaba at last count had 3 mutually incompatible 2.4 ghz protocols for sale at the same time. You can't use one protocol's RX with another protocol's TX.

Spektrum made their newest TXs backward compatible to all but one fairly small production series which they offered upgrade to the (at the time) newer DSM2 system at discount. The protocol they "orphaned", they orphaned completely with no new TXs or RXs of that type available for over 8 years. (and it was a park flyers only recommended system). I can use the DX-18 G2 transmitter I bought LAST WEEK with the first series DSM2 RXs I still have in models.

You can pick on any brand and find something you wish they had done differently.

If you learn what to expect from your system, its not going to surprise you.

Even the cheap Dynam radios that ship with their RTF deals are useful.

As far as "brown out" is concerned, its 100% installation error. If you have adequate RX power a Spektrum RX won't brown out.

Spektrum decided to use parts that require 3.8v to operate. The typical Spektrum RX can handle 9.6v. That is a LARGE voltage range. It allows use of high voltage servos and use of 2 cell LiPo direct without regulator for RX power. This lets the servos deliver much higher torque for the same size and weight servo.

Supply enough power (battery capacity or BEC capacity) and you won't brown out. (Note the wires between power source and RX have to be adequat4e, as I have seen 2.5V drop across an old FUTABA RX switch under load)

If you are having brown-outs you have more RX system (servo) current demand than your installed RX power source can deliver.

72 mhz didn't drop offline until after the servos weren't getting enough power to move at all. We also had a lot of planes crash fro "glitches" many of which quite likely were actually RXs rebooting when recovering from a voltage drop.

After finding out about the brown-out issue, before buying 2.4 ghs, I started doing testing to see what was actually going on with the voltage at the RX in several models. It was enlightening to find that many were pulling the voltage down below 3.5 v on the ground just by rapidly moving the TX sticks. That means less than 50% of rated servo torque available and lower torque means the servo is going to demand MORE power when it tries to hod position in flight.

Just some basic test equipment (voltmeter connected to RX via an empty channel) and you can "stir the sticks" and see the voltage drop under the load imposed by the servos.

If you've had brown out. Now you know 100% for sure why. YOU did not supply an adequate power source for your RX.
                            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                              I've flown Futaba and Spektrum and a lot of others.

Main thing about changing from one 2.4 ghz system to another is you have to get all new receivers.

Futaba at last count had 3 mutually incompatible 2.4 ghz protocols for sale at the same time. You can't use one protocol's RX with another protocol's TX.

Spektrum made their newest TXs backward compatible to all but one fairly small production series which they offered upgrade to the (at the time) newer DSM2 system at discount. The protocol they "orphaned", they orphaned completely with no new TXs or RXs of that type available for over 8 years. (and it was a park flyers only recommended system). I can use the DX-18 G2 transmitter I bought LAST WEEK with the first series DSM2 RXs I still have in models.

You can pick on any brand and find something you wish they had done differently.

If you learn what to expect from your system, its not going to surprise you.

Even the cheap Dynam radios that ship with their RTF deals are useful.

As far as "brown out" is concerned, its 100% installation error. If you have adequate RX power a Spektrum RX won't brown out.

Spektrum decided to use parts that require 3.8v to operate. The typical Spektrum RX can handle 9.6v. That is a LARGE voltage range. It allows use of high voltage servos and use of 2 cell LiPo direct without regulator for RX power. This lets the servos deliver much higher torque for the same size and weight servo.

Supply enough power (battery capacity or BEC capacity) and you won't brown out. (Note the wires between power source and RX have to be adequat4e, as I have seen 2.5V drop across an old FUTABA RX switch under load)

If you are having brown-outs you have more RX system (servo) current demand than your installed RX power source can deliver.

72 mhz didn't drop offline until after the servos weren't getting enough power to move at all. We also had a lot of planes crash fro "glitches" many of which quite likely were actually RXs rebooting when recovering from a voltage drop.

After finding out about the brown-out issue, before buying 2.4 ghs, I started doing testing to see what was actually going on with the voltage at the RX in several models. It was enlightening to find that many were pulling the voltage down below 3.5 v on the ground just by rapidly moving the TX sticks. That means less than 50% of rated servo torque available and lower torque means the servo is going to demand MORE power when it tries to hod position in flight.

Just some basic test equipment (voltmeter connected to RX via an empty channel) and you can "stir the sticks" and see the voltage drop under the load imposed by the servos.

If you've had brown out. Now you know 100% for sure why. YOU did not supply an adequate power source for your RX.
                              This is a super old post, yet I find it super informative. I’ve just got into the hobby somewhat recently, and I’m particularly interested in feeding enough power to nitro planes.

I’ve gone the Spektrum because I noticed it’s popularity and after dealing with HH’s customer support, I’m glad I made that decision.

I’ve seen folks that basically hook up a couple of batteries in parallel (a Y to the receiver with a battery to each end) as to supply enough mAh. I’ve wondered if this is a desirable config.

Anyways, thank you for your detailed reply to the author’s post.

~

Comment

For a lot of us thats been into the hobby a long time find myself only leaning towards brands thats been around the whole time. JR, Futaba, Sanwa/airtronics and hitec.
                                i found a video on YouTube and the young man in his 20s was saying (some company called) sanwa bought out airtronics🤣🤣 Be careful who you get info from folks. Sanwa was always airtronics. All of my old airtronics systems say sanwa on them. Long before this guy was born.
                                Im kind of torn recently needing to upgrade my radio system. Everyone is raving about the radio master system. With all the necessary extras that i think it needs such as the upgraded gimbals a battery because it doesnt come with one, the radio is about $150 less than the Futaba T16iz with a touch screen that futaba has on sale for $500 right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X