Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umbrella thumb sticks, anyone?

Good day;

Recently stumbled into one of those side website pictures and was curious to what it was.

I have seen similar gadgets for gaming consoles, but nothing like these umbrella joysticks to replace the crown sharp transmitter sticks.

Has anyone used them?

I am more of a thumb person, have tried using fingers but its just not for me, feels way too mechanical.

I'm a thumber and not a pincher(except on my sweeties tush) and would be interested in learning more about something that isn't affecting the diabetic neuropathy in my fingers like those crowns do.
    Care to post what you stumbled on??;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I have flown using both methods. The thumb on top of the stick and also holding the stick between thumb and forefinger. To fly using the thumb and finger you do need to use a neck strap to be comfortable to support the transmitter. Using just the thumbs it is easy to hold the transmitter without using a neck strap. However, I find you have more accurate control over the stick movement holding it between your thumb and forefinger and using a neck strap to support the weight of the transmitter. Adjust the length of the neck strap to support the transmitter in a comfortable position and I find it works really well, but the position has to be comfortable.

Martin.

Comment

Interesting - got a link?

I use a modified thumb-finger position on the right stick, with my thumb on the end of the stick, but my finger on the side; I feel like I have finer control, while not needing a strap, though I do use one when I remember it. Thumb only on the throttle and rudder stick, though. I'm curious what an umbrella stick looks like.

Comment

Here is a link...

*selected edit and did not gave me the option to upload image so the reason for a second post back to back.
          Amazon.com: Hobbypower Transmitter Throttle Stick Upgrade M3 Size for Jr Futaba Dx6i Dx8 Spektrum: Toys & Games

Comment

Comment

I just wanted to let you know that your post has resulting in me visiting amazon. At first the intent was solely to purchase the umbrella sticks noted in this thread. Reality has however taken a different path and I now have the umbrella sticks, a 10 port USB hub, 3 cables and some Oculus Touch controllers on the way.

I feel it important for everyone to note the danger of visiting Amazon to purchase these thumb sticks. Please learn from my weakness and try to carry on.

:)

Comment

Thanx Crankestein............ordered me some;)
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by Martin.MotionRC View Post
                  I have flown using both methods. The thumb on top of the stick and also holding the stick between thumb and forefinger. To fly using the thumb and finger you do need to use a neck strap to be comfortable to support the transmitter. Using just the thumbs it is easy to hold the transmitter without using a neck strap. However, I find you have more accurate control over the stick movement holding it between your thumb and forefinger and using a neck strap to support the weight of the transmitter. Adjust the length of the neck strap to support the transmitter in a comfortable position and I find it works really well, but the position has to be comfortable.

Martin.
                  +1 Martin. I used to be thumb only, then switched and find control better. I use a transmitter balancer for a more comfortable angle when using the neck strap.
                  Transmitter Neck Strap Adaptor. NOT all transmitters fit. | eBay!

Comment

I've tried the thumb/finger method, seriously, but just can't make the change. Doc

Comment

Guess my solid thumb control is because of being a performing guitarist. That pinchy crap just slows me down.
                      I always wear a strap so I can let loose with one hand and swat them punkie flies and squeeters.
                      Warbird Charlie

Comment

I have tried the finger grip on a simulator and it just feels robotic to me. Must be from all those gaming console joysticks which somewhat have an umbrella design that I am used to.

When I stumbled with a set for a Futaba transmitter, I was curious to see if its going to work, after all I do pretty good on flying console games, XBox One, Battlefield as a pilot.

I order a set as well, will try them first in the sim and see how it goes.

One mod I do to all my Futaba controllers is cut about 1/4 of the bolt where the sticks screw in, I just cant stand when they are so high, and have way too much leverage. The funny thing I acquired a digital JR 10 channel radio and the sticks are about the height after I cut the ones in the Futaba...

Comment

I have a twitchy left thumb. Hadn't thought of it, but I've played guitar most of my life. Could be the problem. Not a good thing for throttle control! Doc

Comment

Working...
                          X