Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am one of the new guys and found the Admiral Receiver just by looking hard to find some that would fit certain planes, I got 1 admiral and it pair right up with the Spectrum transmitter no wait at all, If they go on sale I will be buying as many as I can afford because they are excellent receivers and have now switch these out with the ones that come with certain plans as a RTF , Learn my lesson, Great Receivers. want more. I have 5 already in different applications , Spectrum still in some but I am going to find out who the direct manufacture is and go direct if I can, I have a resale License and can import these in also.

Comment

• Good luck with that.

Comment

• LOL
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Yeah Rght. Dont mean to be disrespectful but if you check its Motion RCs exclusive. :)OV10 you really crack me up man.LOL.
          Dewey l

Comment

• Guys - I saw someone write in the reveiws for the 10 channel rx that they were flying giant scale planes with these receivers. Will they? I saw it and am thinking about using it in a 50CC. I would use a pow'r pack'r from Electro Dynamics, and an Aerotech Ibec to handle redundant power and ignition. My alternative is to buy a Spektrum Powersafe RX. Is that a stretch for these Admiral Receivers? I would much rather be safe than sorry. If it works safely, then I might give it a whirl. Whatcha think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitchesx View Post
              Guys - I saw someone write in the reveiws for the 10 channel rx that they were flying giant scale planes with these receivers. Will they? I saw it and am thinking about using it in a 50CC. I would use a pow'r pack'r from Electro Dynamics, and an Aerotech Ibec to handle redundant power and ignition. My alternative is to buy a Spektrum Powersafe RX. Is that a stretch for these Admiral Receivers? I would much rather be safe than sorry. If it works safely, then I might give it a whirl. Whatcha think?
              :Confused: as to why the size of the airframe matters regarding what Rx is used.
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by LittleBearGuns View Post
                I am one of the new guys and found the Admiral Receiver just by looking hard to find some that would fit certain planes, I got 1 admiral and it pair right up with the Spectrum transmitter no wait at all, If they go on sale I will be buying as many as I can afford because they are excellent receivers and have now switch these out with the ones that come with certain plans as a RTF , Learn my lesson, Great Receivers. want more. I have 5 already in different applications , Spectrum still in some but I am going to find out who the direct manufacture is and go direct if I can, I have a resale License and can import these in also.
                This is about all the worth you are . Better yet why don't you just call the owners of MRC and ask them . NOTHING BUT A LOOSER .

Bryan
                But Crashing is Landing

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

:Confused: as to why the size of the airframe matters regarding what Rx is used.
                  Some people might question the choice of putting something in a larger gas airframe that is not a "brand name" or something along those lines. I would probably not trust an Orange RX in it. I've had issues with them from time to time, but in a foamie, I'm not real worried. Guess it all comes down to whether you can "trust" a product with a larger investment. I'm not looking to raise a debate, but rather to find out how much trust others are putting in these Admiral Receivers. I dont mind trying new things, as long as I can be confident that I can get it back to the ground safely in one piece.

Comment

Guys - I saw someone write in the reveiws for the 10 channel rx that they were flying giant scale planes with these receivers. Will they? I saw it and am thinking about using it in a 50CC. I would use a pow'r pack'r from Electro Dynamics, and an Aerotech Ibec to handle redundant power and ignition. My alternative is to buy a Spektrum Powersafe RX. Is that a stretch for these Admiral Receivers? I would much rather be safe than sorry. If it works safely, then I might give it a whirl. Whatcha think?
                    At one time Spektrum systems were "the new kid" and only a few people trusted them.

After some testing to ensure it is up to the task (not going to suffer from signal shadowing being the main issue) and that its a reliable RX, I see no problem using them in the larger models as long as you are ensuring adequate RX power supply for the servo loads imposed by the large model.

Note that a 1.20 ci glow power model's servos can demand more than 12 amps during extreme maneuvering and the common RX switch is only really good for 7 amps (if that much)

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

At one time Spektrum systems were "the new kid" and only a few people trusted them.

After some testing to ensure it is up to the task (not going to suffer from signal shadowing being the main issue) and that its a reliable RX, I see no problem using them in the larger models as long as you are ensuring adequate RX power supply for the servo loads imposed by the large model.

Note that a 1.20 ci glow power model's servos can demand more than 12 amps during extreme maneuvering and the common RX switch is only really good for 7 amps (if that much)
                      How do you test for signal shadowing? I would hope that dual Life batteries at 2500 mah each in parallel with redundancy would be enough. The switches are heavy duty (designed by Electro-Dynamics) so they should be up to the task. A lot of people are using similar setups, so I'm modeling mine after theirs. I guess the other question would be - can the RX handle the higher power input and draw?

Comment

How do you test for signal shadowing? I would hope that dual Life batteries at 2500 mah each in parallel with redundancy would be enough. The switches are heavy duty (designed by Electro-Dynamics) so they should be up to the task. A lot of people are using similar setups, so I'm modeling mine after theirs. I guess the other question would be - can the RX handle the higher power input and draw?
                        Shadowing is indicative of an airframes structure being able to minimize and/or block signal strength based on Rx location.
                        There are many ways to test with one of them being the common Tx power reduction at 30 paces test which is not all conclusive for abstract issues but is a start.
                        The Rx doesn't actually provide the power, it is just a transference/distribution terminal of the system voltage (provided by a BEC or separate battery) to the servos.
                        Current handling capability could/should be determined from the Rx product specs.
                        A lot of pilots are using the Lemon Rx products(maker of the Admiral) in airframes like the $600 FW A-10 (myself included) without worry.:Cool:
                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

• To test for shadowing with large models, you get help from a second person.

With the model at just under range test distance and TX in range test mode, one person operates controls and the other moves the airplane around slowly. to have different angles to the TX. Side, . front, back, rolled, every angle you can come up with.

The Spektrum RXs with the little device to test for lost data packets will indicate when it is having issues with shadowing. there should be a similar way to tell when the other brands are losing excess data packets.

This is one reason for the "satellite" receivers. They should be placed to get maximum antenna orientation diversity with the satellites spread as far as practical. That makes it very hard for all of the antennae to be in the "shadow" of the big hunk of metal in the nose of the model (the engine) at once.

With single unit RXs that have long "whisker" antennae, you route the antennae as far apart as practical and at appx 90 deg to each other for that appx 2 inch end which is the actual antenna.

Comment

• Thanks Guys! I appreciate the information. Many people at my club do range checks, but I doubt they go that far. I wonder what would change if they did? LOL Does anyone know how many satellite ports are on the 10 channel? I would think I would want at least 2 on this plane. Am I going overboard?

Comment

• Almost nobody goes through the complete shadowing tests.

If you are familiar with the radio and have good placement of 2 to 4 satellite RXs, It SHOULD be unnecessary. They can be placed in a manner that there's 0 potential for shadowing to cause a loss of control.

Piling all of the satellites in a wad of extension wiring on top of the RX is intuitively wrong.

Using one of the little 6 Ch RXs with the tiny whiskers coming from the case and placing it right under the gas tank is also obviously a bad idea. You can't get the antennae far enough apart to get one out of the shadow of the engine when the airplane is pointed at you.

It doesn't take much thinking to avoid shadowing once you know what the issue is and how to avoid it

Long leads from the RX body to 2 whiskers is enough to be able to spread antennae enough for anything below 50cc power and for most others too.

Comment

• I get that. There have been a few crashes for unknown reasons (loss of control) especially in certain regions of our airspace at the club. I wonder if this procedure may have helped. A few 'spensive' airplanes have gone down. Being that I'm talking a 50CC I'd probably want at least one sat, possibly two. I lean toward two as a precaution. The original owner flew Futaba, so there were no Sats at all. The RX location is a couple inches past the wing tube, but between the batteries.

I know the basics of placing the sats, at least 3" from the main rx, with opposite orientation to the antennas on the rx, and opposite to other sats placed strategically through the airframe to prevent loss of signal. Going forward in this plane would be difficult, because the tanks and engine are in close proximity just ahead of the wing tube. I'd probably try to go on the sides of the fuse with the antennas angled 45 Deg, and opposite each other probably staggered in distance for more coverage. Does this sound about right?

Comment

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the information. Many people at my club do range checks, but I doubt they go that far. I wonder what would change if they did? LOL Does anyone know how many satellite ports are on the 10 channel? I would think I would want at least 2 on this plane. Am I going overboard?
                                  If your referring to the thread subject matter Admiral 10 channel...........the answer is no satellite.
                                  This is because it has the diversity (dipole) antenna configuration.
                                  The Lemon 10 diversity is the same.

If you want a satellite configuration then you need this Rx with a monopole antenna and a satellite with dipole antenna.

What is in these planes that is blocking signals so much from the Rx and Satelllite that you think you need two or more satellites??
                                  Warbird Charlie

Comment

• I have a few of the Lemon 10 channel with diversity antennae. I also use the sat reciever with diversity antenna with them. Four opportunies to acquire/hold the signal are always better than two. This is especially true with larger birds with big motors and large multiple batt packs. I am using this set-up in my 1/3 scale Fokker D-VIII. It has a 100cc equiv elec motor and is running four 5000mah 6S lipos. It's a 35lb bird with a 110" wingspan. It of coarse has its own seperate receiver packs as well. I have not seen any issues with the receivers handling giant scale servos.

I haven't used the Admiral versons yet as I haven't needed to get any new receivers since the Admirals came out.

Comment

• Thank you. That makes me a little more likely to try it with this plane. I guess the reason most people use more satellites is to ensure that they acquire and hold the signal with more locations onboard. That was my thinking also. Most guys that fly gas planes with DSM2/DSMX fly with sats, I always figured that was best practice.

TwowingTJ -that sounds like an awesome plane!

Comment

• After reading Twowingtj's post about using a Sat with a 10 channel diversity Rx it piqued my say-whut. :Confused:
                                        Further digging I uncovered that my response of "no" in post #116 was correct for the early gen diversity 10 channel Rx's Lemon made but incorrect for the present offerings.
                                        They now make the 10 channel diversity Rx with a Sat port and most likely the same for the Admiral.:Cool:
                                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

• "Unknown reason" loss of control can sometimes be lack of adequate power supply to the RX and servos.

"Brown out" = user did not supply adequate power for the RX and servos. If the voltage is pulled too low, the RX system can't function.

Comment

Working...
                                          X