X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FrSky Products Coming to MotionRC

Well............, it’s about time LOL:Cool:. I’m happy to see this. I’ve been using FrSky products for quite some time now with good success. People at the field ask about them constantly. The flexibility the products have provided has been fantastic, and the value is great for the features included. I tried out their Taranis X9D originally, enjoyed it, and purchased the upgraded version called the Plus of their X9D. Now I’m using FrSky’s Horus X12S, and will also be owning the Horus X10S.

There are aspects of FrSky’s radios and accessory operations, programming, etc. that will require some attention to detail, an open mind, and patience. It was well worth the effort for me to learn. I’ve used the out of the box firmware, as well as open source called OpenTX, and try to stay up to date with any changes that occur over time.

There are many radios in their line-up that will likely suffice at the budget, features, and style a person is looking for. It’s difficult to beat a telemetry capable receiver like their X8R (and variations), that can daisy chain telemetry sensors easily via smart port in the receiver, provide RSSI (link/signal strength), provide receiver voltage telemetry, include 8 channels or 16 if binding two together appropriately, has S-BUS capability to provide added channels, relatively light, etc., all at roughly $30-35 a piece. FrSky has started releasing receivers with stabilization built in as well, which is nice to have. Newly added is also Reducancy Bus in case a person feels more comfortable with redundancy in situations such as on a complex, expensive, and/or large aircraft. Even what’s considered to be a budget option radio, the Taranis, has 16 channel capability (or even 32 if need be by specific means), which is likely more channels than most would or may ever need.

I’m looking forward to MotionRC receiving stock of FrSky’s product line as it provides customers with more options, and another vendor to purchase equipment. Having more options is nice.

I've been using the Frsky Taranis X9D Plus for years. I love the fact that you can program anything you can imagine pretty much. You can program custom curves, logical functions, etc. The sensors are awesome too. My standard setup includes the FLVSS which shows a visual indication of LiPo voltage for each cell along with the X8R receiver. I usually have the RPM and temp sensor installed on any unfamiliar aircraft. I have alerts for low cell and low RSSI as well as a flight timer and a total time on airframe timer. My sounds are a mix of the factory sounds and a custom pack. I am sure that I could not go back to another radio now. Once you get your head around the programming you will not want to go back.

Personally I have flown Futaba, JR, Spektrum and Hitec radios. I think the Frsky Taranis is the best I've owned. And I flew JR for a long time.

MRC if you are listening please carry the FLVSS and temperature/rpm sensors.
    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

So happy as well to have another US vendor for FrSky!

Looking forward to the Horus X10. I've had the Taranis X9D+ for almost 3 years now and there's no going back. ZERO reception issues - use to fly Spek. Using the simple and economical voltage meter sensor using included telemetry is about the bee's knee's of flying electrics. No more taking off with empty flight packs, or out-flying your timer. No matter how hard or easy you fly your models you can always know how much "gas" is in the tank. And this is only one of many telemetry sensors that can be used. And economical I'll repeat. Who doesn't like a full-range 8-ch receiver (with telemetry) for $30-35???
      Hangar: 90mm F16, 90mm F-15, 80mm Mirage, 90mm F-18, 1400mm P-40, 64mm F-22

RIP: 80mm F-14

Comment

Will this product work with Spektrum receivers? I don't think I'd be inclined to replace 60+ receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
          Will this product work with Spektrum receivers? I don't think I'd be inclined to replace 60+ receivers.
          I just Googled it and found some information dating back to 2016 on the FliteTest forum. Apparently, you can get this module from HobbyKing (and I presume MotionRC will also sell it once they start selling the FrSky product) ........................... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx...___store=en_us
          Or you can build something to make it work ....................... http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...n-your-Taranis
          Not sure how well it would work since a couple people indicated that it would still be better to get the FrSky RXs if you are getting the Taranis TX. Why they said that, I don't know. However, I'm not just getting into this hobby and after shelling out thousands already for all my Spektrum RXs, I'm not about to spend more thousands to replace them.

Comment

The ability to place a module in the module slot in the back of the radios (be sure to choose the correct pin type) that allows use of what protocol a person is looking to use is a nice feature to have. That begins to eliminate the need to own multiple brand or protocol radios to continue using the receivers in various RC aircraft owned.

The advantage for me using FrSky receivers (especially the X-series) with my FrSky radio was the overall cost and value, as well as the features. Depending on the receiver chosen, the ability to have built in telemetry (signal strength and RX voltage), a smart port for telemetry sensors (GPS, Current, RPM’’’s, LiPo voltage, etc.) that can be daisy chained together, as well as an S-BUS port is great. The receivers and telemetry sensors are realtively inexpensive for their capability, and the radios having 16 channels (or 32 shall someone need it) will satisfy my RC needs not only now, but well into the future.

Comment

Comment

Just watched the setup video. Very nice job Alpha!

I love my Taranis and X-series receivers / sensors.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

For what it’s worth, when I switched to a FrSky Horus, I never wanted to go back to a Taranis (and I still like my Taranis a lot) of any kind. The features, flexibility, and value far exceeded my current and future goals in a radio. The screen quality and layout on the Horus is phenomenal in my opinion, and the color screen is readable outdoors. The Taranis line has great budget radios (and still powerful) and will likely have plenty of features for folks whether they are a beginner or expert, but the extra money I spent on the Horus was worth the features, feel, and look. The Taranis has its place is the market, but mine is collecting dust now :) (not really since it’s in a case, but a figure of speech LOL).

I don’t think any radio is perfect, regardless of brand, so that’s clearly not what I’m saying. However, I do really enjoy the radio and only use things I like. If I don’t like it, just like a plane, I’ll do research for its replacement that may be better suited. So far, I’ve been satisfied overall with FrSky products. If they keep doing what they’re doing, chances are good I’ll continue using their products.

Comment

Comment

Well the Taranis is for a different audience The only way it could be considered a budget radio is the cost. Performance exceeds most anything out there. I like mine. If you take the time to learn the programming there is really no other alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                              Well the Taranis is for a different audience The only way it could be considered a budget radio is the cost. Performance exceeds most anything out there. I like mine. If you take the time to learn the programming there is really no other alternative.

That’s why I mentioned budget because it’s referring to inexpensive :Cool:, but doesn’t imply poor quality or lack of features and performance (that’s why I mentioned above that they are powerful and packed with features). Product cost will always have a massive say in a customers decision to purchase, so I would imagine these various Taranis radios should continue to sell well.

On the Taranis line-up, once the programming learning curve has been overcome (and it’’s not all that challenging, but worth noting), it’s phenomenal. On the other hand, the Horus using FrTX OS (which the Taranis line does not have) out of the box is much more intuitive for the new user, which may mostly be people coming from menu driven systems. Although more expensive, the Horus having FrTX operating system is a major selling point for people who don’t want as steep of a learning curve in programming. I think FrSky did a good job with their FrTX OS, and listened to their customers that wanted a menu driven system that is more intuitive for possibly a broader market. I think the videos show FrTX being relatively easy to learn.

For those who want more flexibility (and ability to program via computer as well), the appropriate OpenTX open source system can be loaded onto the Taranis or Horus. Some type(s) of Taranis radios these days look to be coming with OpenTX firmware already loaded. When I get the Horus X10S, I’ll do the same thing I did with my Horus X12S, upload OpenTX to it. I prefer it, but others may not, as it’s a subjective aspect. It’’s excellent to have the option on the either though to run either FrTX or OpenTX on the Horus. That provides a a good choice for all involved.

Comment

MotionRC,

A few things on the X10/X10S product page may have errors, or need adjustments and/or additions if you find/confirm the radio has the same aspects I wrote below. :Cool:

- Your description page on the new X10 and X10S state that a 2S battery is required. As far as I know, the X10/X10S have an internal Li-ion battery, so no additional battery purchase should be required.
                                - Estimated battery charge time.
                                - Also, haptic feedback is liked by many, but the page description doesn’’t note that the X10/X10S has haptic ability.
                                - Voice/speech alert ability.
                                - The X10/X10S has a system reset button (which the X12S did not have and was often requested by owners), which comes in the handy in the event of a system freeze.
                                - Safety power button that requires holding down to power on and off to reduce the chance of accidentally turning off the radio in unwanted conditions.
                                - S-Port to update firware of smart port receivers and telemetry sensors.
                                - 3.5mm mono jack
                                - Mini USB
                                - The radios have telemetry ability.
                                - The radios can log data.
                                - Various switch and pot type description and amount: six 3-position switches, one 2-position switch, one momentary switch, two sliders with center detent, and three pots (one without detent, one with center detent, and one 6-position encoder).

Comment

Motion,

Any particular time frame expected on delivery of the Horus X10S specifically (unless it’s arriving with all the rest of the initial FrSky inventory)?

Comment

I for one am excited to see Motion carry Frsky. I have had my 9+ for about 3 years. With a vendor of Motions reputation to carry Frsky it will help to reach a wider audience.
                                    I fly almost exclusively at Apolo field and it still surprises me how many people ask me about my radio and have never heard of it. (Nearly all spectrum users)
                                    The new Horus 10 looks nice. But I'll give it a bit of time in others hands before considering it and moving the 9+ to my backup.
                                    Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
                                    R. A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
                                      Motion,

Any particular time frame expected on delivery of the Horus X10S specifically (unless it’s arriving with all the rest of the initial FrSky inventory)?
                                      Sorry so late T-Cat! All of our FRSky products are available now for purchase!

Comment

Glad to see them in stock. I don't see the STK listed anywhere. Logical place would be under receiver accessories. It is a must for use with the S6R and S8R. Well "must" may be overstating it some as there are ways to update firmware on the receivers right from the radio.
                                        Looks like your marketing plan is to stick with the newest models on the transmitters. I think that is probably a sound decision.
                                        Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
                                        R. A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                                        X