Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We will take that into thought. This is our first offering, so obviously we wanted the newer models to be a bit future proof. But their product lineup is expansive and we selected the best product options, we felt, would serve our customers best. Personally, I started flying with drones and the Taranis x9d was my first transmitter and I never looked back when moving to planes. We definitely want to make sure pilots know that these aren't just for drone guys. They are an affordable and highly reliable radio system with so much more to offer. So hopefully we are able to add to our lineup more of what FRSky has to offer. Thanks for the advice on the STK, it's been noted. P.S. The X10S is my new baby, it's worth every penny.

Comment

Looks like a great radio. A little more capability than the DX9
      Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
      Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
      I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

I am thinking I will eventually transition over...

Comment

You’ll likely be amazed at what the radios are capable of for the price.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know MotionJB.

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
              You’ll likely be amazed at what the radios are capable of for the price.
              How hard are they to program?

Comment

The learning curve for OpenTX open source firmware can be a bit steeper for some, and OpenTX already comes on some FrSky radios (i.e. Taranis line of radios as far as I still know). However, it’s not horribly difficult to learn, just requires some patience, time to understand the programming logic, and an open mind. The flexibility of programming is interesting, and so is the use of Companion, which allows OpenTX to be programmed via the computer in Companion and sent to the radio, or read from the radio. Once I got used to the way OpenTX works, how to update it, keep up to date on changes, etc., I began to prefer its way of programming versus a menu driven system that is typically used. It’s now my preference and I will be using it on my X10S when OpenTX is ready for release (not sure when that’ll be though) on that system.

I’d imagine though that a majority of flyers will likely not venture into using OpenTX. Instead, they may prefer a menu driven operating system similar to the radios they use currently, and FrSky’s relatively new FrTX operating system fits that description. FrTX comes on (so far) the Horus X12S, X10, and X10S. It still provides great flexibility to program aircraft, has a pretty clear and intuitive (I think) menu system, and should suffice for a majority of flyers. MotionRC’s videos definitely highlights that point I think.

Either way, it’s difficult to go wrong with either operating system. However, it’s so subjective and people will find what they prefer after using it for a bit or getting a chance to see a friend use their radio. FrSky has been coming out with a lot of products and things seem to progress quickly, so it’s good to stay up to date on what types of firmware updates are available, any potential bugs that may need to be worked out, any new additions to products or programming, etc. After years of using FrSky radios (I was hesitant at first before I made the switch), thankfully I don’t see myself switching from them anytime soon as I’m generally happy with their functionality, upgradability, and value. Hopefully that continues in the future.

Comment

I can't say as to the FrTX, as I haven't used it. Opentx is as T-Cat said a steep curve. But once you grasp it there is not much you can't make the radio do. Often the same task can be done in 2 or 3 different ways.

After watching Motions YouTube videos on the new Horus X10 the menu based programming does seem a similar format to the Spectum radios. But take that with a grain of salt, I've only helped some others program their Spectrums I don't own one myself.
                  Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
                  R. A. Heinlein

Comment

Even the DX9 seemed challenging at first but now I could just about set up a new plane on it with my eyes closed. YouTube videos helped me a lot...;)

Comment

Regarding my remark about carrying the STK. It looks like Frsky has the new S.Port Airlink S. It can be used flash and program the S6R and S8R. In keeping with the premise of carrying the most future proof products, maybe carrying this would be better than the STK.
                      Here is a question for those who have access to an X10, is there a script in the FrTX software for programming the receivers? I know there is in Opentx.
                      R. A. Heinlein

Comment

This is the one I want...

TiredIron Aviation
                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I answered my own question. FrTX or FrOS as it is properly called. Does not as yet do Lua script.
                          R. A. Heinlein

Comment

Good evening all, I had a minor question that I was curious about.
                            I notice how Aloft Hobbies has the one-year warranty with their radios, and I was wondering if MotionRC is doing the same thing, or has reached an agreement with Aloft for them to still have the warranty for the radios.
                            I'd prefer to purchase a QX7S through MRC, but given my luck with radios, I'd rather have a warranty in place than not since I seem to always find that one bug that utterly bricks a radio.
                            Thanks!
                            Unrelated/OT, who knew a DX9 could blue screen? That was a fun one to talk with HH about... :o

Comment

Anyone have an answer if MRC warranties the FRSky radios?
                              Thanks

Comment

Hey there Topdogzrc, call MRC's tech support at 224-633-9090 with your order number, and they'll be happy and able to get you started on the warranty process FrSky laid out.
                                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I just picked up a Horus from a fellow flyer who is moving and selling off all his equipment. So Alpha- your a Hitec guy like I "was" are you getting a FrSky?
                                  Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Hey quitcherbitchen, I love my Hitec Aurora 9 and still do, but I must admit I fly my FrSky Horus X10 almost 90% of the time for the past few months. I have 8 radios behind me as I type this, and obviously in my job, I fly every day, and the FrSky Horus X10 is what I grab off the wall in the morning. I get that it takes some time to learn, but honestly in my personal experience, an hour with the radio and watching through my Quick Start Guide, I figured out how to use the radio for my needs. I don't use all the deeper functions in my every day test flying regimen, but the basics like RSSI readouts were very easy to learn and have instant advantage for someone like me. Data is everything in my role as RC santa claus.

The one thing I don't love is the charging setup. I would recommend buying a spare dongle in case you misplace one in a faraway province in China (ask me how I know).
                                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                      Hey quitcherbitchen, I love my Hitec Aurora 9 and still do, but I must admit I fly my FrSky Horus X10 almost 90% of the time for the past few months. I have 8 radios behind me as I type this, and obviously in my job, I fly every day, and the FrSky Horus X10 is what I grab off the wall in the morning. I get that it takes some time to learn, but honestly in my personal experience, an hour with the radio and watching through my Quick Start Guide, I figured out how to use the radio for my needs. I don't use all the deeper functions in my every day test flying regimen, but the basics like RSSI readouts were very easy to learn and have instant advantage for someone like me. Data is everything in my role as RC santa claus.

The one thing I don't love is the charging setup. I would recommend buying a spare dongle in case you misplace one in a faraway province in China (ask me how I know).
                                      I agree, I’ve been really enjoying my FrSky radios and have owned several different types (Taranis X9D, Taranis X9D Plus, Horus X12S, and Horus X10S) over the years after owning what most consider “name brand” radio. FrSky has grown and adapted over the years that have provided much popularity quickly, in such a way that many RC hobbyist know the FrSky name. If they continue listening to customer input, provide great features for the price point, a reliable link, and keep evolving with the market, they should continue to grow extremely well. That’’s great for all of us. I remember when people would look at me strange at the field for flying with a FrSky radio because it was different and not what they’re accustomed to seeing. Things change, and people I know (not all but most) who weren’t accepting before have come around to understanding this brand and line of radios, and now consider purchasing one.

I also use my X10S the most, for various reasons, but it had some pitfalls early on. That downfall looks to have been taken care of thankfully. The original X10/X10S charging situation has been altered from used to be an external charging unit/dongle (FCX10) that must be plugged into the radio exterior and then the barrel connector into that unit/dongle, but that made it more of a hassle and increased the chances of loosing the charging unit (people were buying several charging units just in case they lost one). It looks like FrSky may have placed that external charging unit inside the TX case, which solves those issues. Now the barrel connector of the wall charger plugs into the TX. Most people are calling this the V2 of the X10/X10S (which is what I felt most comfortable purchasing after they fixed that strange design).

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                        Hey there Topdogzrc, call MRC's tech support at 224-633-9090 with your order number, and they'll be happy and able to get you started on the warranty process FrSky laid out.
                                        Apologies for not clarifying Alpha, and thanks for the fast response back, but I wanted to see if there was one (1 year in case anything went wrong) before pulling the trigger on getting one (hopefully sometime in April, TBD when I need to get it.)

I'll give a call ASAP though, thanks again!

Comment

Need help programming the flaps on my Horus. I use frOs. End points don't seem to do anything. Can someone explain the Curve setting? @Alpha There are no decent videos that cover this topic.
                                          Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X